The Student Room Group

Work Experience application

Hello! I am in Year 10 and we have to do work experience in June - July. I have never done work experience before and I am so confused. I would like to do veterinary work experience and I think Pets at Home or Vets4pets would be a good choice. But I do not know how to apply for a request, as they do not have a e-mail adress on their website. What should I do?
Ring up your local store, ask to speak to the person that deals with work experience placement or internships or just ask for the manager. If they say that's not possible, then ask for an email you can contact so you can leave your details and application with someone.

If you get through to the manager, just explain your work experience situation, your future goals and ask if they have any work experience placements available.

One of my friends are currently applying for Vet Med at Cambridge and she's gained a ton of work experience with local farmers and vets so perhaps it's worth researching who and where your local veterinary practices are and get proper work experience with them in your field of interest?

Hope this helps :smile:
A pets at home would be a pretty shocking place to do veterinary work experience - they typically tend to be very basic vet practices that only do vaccinations, general health checks and farm all their other work out to other local veterinary practices equipped to deal with it.

Vets4pets would be a better shout but i think you would get a better experience going to smaller independent vet practices if possible.
Going to a practice in person gives the best impression - an email is lazy and indirect.

Don't forget at a pre-university level animal husbandry experience is arguably more important and you should aim as a MINIMUM to have a week each of; stables, kennels/cattery, dairy, pig farm, lambing/calving as well as clinical placements and others such as an abattoir

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending