Acrylic Paint? Watch

QI Elf
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Ok so for a project I'm doing I'm painting on glass. I don't want to buy glass paints but I have acrylic paint.

Will this work and if I wash the glass (its a wine glass) will the paint wash off?

Also in my acrylic set I have "Acrylic Gloss Gel Medium" what exaclty is this, what dioes it do and will it be of any use for my glass painting?
Natasha X
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
im pretty sure that acrylic paint is permanent so it won't wash off... sorry i have no idea what the gloss gel is. doesn't it say anything on the label or at the back?
uthred50
Badges: 16
Report 10 years ago
I've painted in acrylics quite a lot on canvas, but never on glass; i believe you need the proper paints for it to work properly (Acrylics aren't oil based, they're water based, so could wash off i presume)
squeak
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
well from painting with acrylics, and having a glass of water to wash brushes, acrylic paint does wash off glass, but seems to depend how thick/how long its been on the glass. usually you can scratch it off with your nails though.
pretty sure the gloss thickens the paint and gives it a glossy look?
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
For some reason I imagine that it would peel off simply because whenever I use a plate as my pallette acyrlic peels off afterwards?
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Acrylic will peel and chip off glass i'm afraid. It doesn't bond to a glass surface.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.8%
No - but I will (102)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.85%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (633)
47.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise