The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get into a uni sport team?

Hi everyone, I’m on my gap year now and am planning ahead for when I get to uni. If I spent all of this year practicing a sport pretty much every day such as Muay Thai for example, would I be good enough to have a shot at getting on the uni team in September next year?
Original post by Kryptonitekid43
Hi everyone, I’m on my gap year now and am planning ahead for when I get to uni. If I spent all of this year practicing a sport pretty much every day such as Muay Thai for example, would I be good enough to have a shot at getting on the uni team in September next year?

Well it depends on the competition and standard of other players. I think generally speaking you need to be roughly county-level in order to play the more popular games for your university team. For Muay Thai (I'm sorry, I haven't got a clue what that is) I suspect the competition will be less fierce and you might stand a better chance.
Is that kick boxing? Sagat popped into my head. Do something if it interests you and not specifically because you want to join a team.
Original post by YaliaV
Is that kick boxing? Sagat popped into my head. Do something if it interests you and not specifically because you want to join a team.

Thank you for your response, it does interest me as a sport, I’ve been martial arts crazy for years but haven’t started until recently and I’m trying to learn as much as I can.
Original post by Reality Check
Well it depends on the competition and standard of other players. I think generally speaking you need to be roughly county-level in order to play the more popular games for your university team. For Muay Thai (I'm sorry, I haven't got a clue what that is) I suspect the competition will be less fierce and you might stand a better chance.

Thank you for your response, yeah I figured that if need to be that level or so I’m hoping I can get to that standard with a year or dedicated work.
Thank you for your response, yeah I figured that if need to be that level or so I’m hoping I can get to that standard with a year or dedicated work.

You're welcome :smile: And definitely go for it - always worth a shot. You might well find that your university doesn't even have a club for this game: in which case you can set one up and Captain it!
Quite easy to get into a team but if the university is known for the sport you want to get in to then getting into the first team is very difficult.
Reply 7

Depends on the uni and the level they play. For most sports apart from popular ones like rugby, it's not hard if you have prior experience, and they will train you to the standards required to compete.

Only a few uni have a muay thai club, youd probably be better off joining the kickboxing club if you want to compete.
Original post by kkboyk
Depends on the uni and the level they play. For most sports apart from popular ones like rugby, it's not hard if you have prior experience, and they will train you to the standards required to compete.

Only a few uni have a muay thai club, youd probably be better off joining the kickboxing club if you want to compete.

Thank you that’s helpful, I have a year of kickboxing under my belt already but I’m supplementing it with a year of Muay Thai and BJJ which I hope will give me an edge on the competition. So by train you, you mean the clubs will train anyone from beginner who wants to compete. I assumed that but I thought the teams had more strict criteria for entrance?
Reply 9
Thank you that’s helpful, I have a year of kickboxing under my belt already but I’m supplementing it with a year of Muay Thai and BJJ which I hope will give me an edge on the competition. So by train you, you mean the clubs will train anyone from beginner who wants to compete. I assumed that but I thought the teams had more strict criteria for entrance?

Yes they'll teach beginners, as they want to be open for everyone in the uni community. Competing is different, each uni has their own way of doing things and for some sports they tend to not be selective and let their motivated members experience competition. You're better off clarifying with your uni's sport team on what they look for. I only know that for Uni of Notts (I wasn't part of the uni, but they train along with a public club) you just had to be fit enough, and had trained enough to compete.
Original post by kkboyk
Yes they'll teach beginners, as they want to be open for everyone in the uni community. Competing is different, each uni has their own way of doing things and for some sports they tend to not be selective and let their motivated members experience competition. You're better off clarifying with your uni's sport team on what they look for. I only know that for Uni of Notts (I wasn't part of the uni, but they train along with a public club) you just had to be fit enough, and had trained enough to compete.

That’s good advice thank tou

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending