outlandishcandle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey, is anyone else applying this year for Linguistics at Cambridge?
Bibliophile2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by outlandishcandle)
Hey, is anyone else applying this year for Linguistics at Cambridge?
Hi! I've applied for linguistics at Queens college. So nice to find a fellow linguist!
outlandishcandle
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bibliophile2)
Hi! I've applied for linguistics at Queens college. So nice to find a fellow linguist!
Finally someone else! I've applied to Pembroke college. How did you find the admissions test?
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Finally someone else! I've applied to Pembroke college. How did you find the admissions test?
I think the test went okay. I did most of the past papers, so I was pretty familiar with the exam structure on the day but it was so hard to complete it all in time! What about you? How have you found the application process so far?
outlandishcandle
Rep:
?
I think the test went okay. I did most of the past papers, so I was pretty familiar with the exam structure on the day but it was so hard to complete it all in time! What about you? How have you found the application process so far?
It was pretty much the same for me. I struggled a bit with the timing, but I managed to get down everything I wanted to say. Now I'm just waiting to hear about interviews!
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It was pretty much the same for me. I struggled a bit with the timing, but I managed to get down everything I wanted to say. Now I'm just waiting to hear about interviews!
That's good to hear. Hoping that you get an interview invite soon! I got an invite yesterday, but I think that Queens is sending out their invites quite early when compared to other colleges. A lot of people won't get invites until late November (sorry if this sounds pedantic) but you just need to be patient!
outlandishcandle
Rep:
?
That's good to hear. Hoping that you get an interview invite soon! I got an invite yesterday, but I think that Queens is sending out their invites quite early when compared to other colleges. A lot of people won't get invites until late November (sorry if this sounds pedantic) but you just need to be patient!
Well done on your interview invite! Yeah, the different colleges send them out at different times, so I'll be waiting!
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well done on your interview invite! Yeah, the different colleges send them out at different times, so I'll be waiting!
Thank you! I'm excited but a bit nervous at the same time. I feel like this application process is so stressful!
Dave0409
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I'm applying for linguistics as well at Jesus. Has anyone found any practice interview questions?
wisebook
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I applied to King's and got an interview on Monday. How many interviews do you guys have? I only have one on the 11th for some reason. Btw what alevels did you all take? Predicted grades? (AAC)
Last edited by wisebook; 2 months ago
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Dave0409)
Hi, I'm applying for linguistics as well at Jesus. Has anyone found any practice interview questions?
Sorry, haven't found any yet! But at first, I would just practise talking about linguistics to a friend at first for about 20 mins. That way, what you say in the interview will sound more natural.
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by wisebook)
I applied to King's and got an interview on Monday. How many interviews do you guys have? I only have one on the 11th for some reason. Btw what alevels did you all take? Predicted grades? I am doing English Lit, Psychology and Maths. (AAC)
Hi, I just have one interview as well and its on the 11th. I'm doing English Lit, English language, Sociology and an EPQ. My teachers have predicted me 3 A*s, so fingers crossed, I can live up to their expectations. Congrats on your interview invite by the way!
wisebook
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I just have one interview as well and its on the 11th. I'm doing English Lit, English language, Sociology and an EPQ. My teachers have predicted me 3 A*s, so fingers crossed, I can live up to their expectations. Congrats on your interview invite by the way!
Omg that's amazing! Congrats! Your predictions are so high as well😭😭. Queen's is quite close the King's, maybe we can even meet up on the 10th lollllll.
Are you going to stay there overnight? My interview is at 13:30 so I think I will need to stay in Cambridge because I live 4 hours away.
Are
Last edited by wisebook; 2 months ago
emma_l02
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey guys I'm applying for Linguistics at Jesus and thought I'd share the interview spreadsheet on this thread: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Q3qY/htmlview# If you've received an interview you can add yourself to the spreadsheet via this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...rm?usp=sf_link
wisebook
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
What books have you all read? I only got halfway with Language Instinct
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Omg that's amazing! Congrats! Your predictions are so high as well😭😭. Queen's is quite close the King's, maybe we can even meet up on the 10th lollllll.
Are you going to stay there overnight? My interview is at 13:30 so I think I will need to stay in Cambridge because I live 4 hours away.
Are
I'm so late seeing this haha. Thank you! And I did stay overnight- I live in Leeds so it wouldn't have been ideal to drive down on the day. How did you find your interview by the way?
Bibliophile2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I've read the Articulate mammal but I didn't have much time to read any other books. I've heard the Language Instinct is quite good! Do you have an interest in language acquisition then?

What books have you all read? I only got halfway with Language Instinct
username5090218
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Me I’ve applied to Girton 😌
xhollyxtaylorx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I also applied to linguistics at Girton!! My interview went okay, I really hope I get an offer! What are your predicted grades?
(Original post by Lailai27)
Me I’ve applied to Girton 😌
username5090218
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by xhollyxtaylorx)
I also applied to linguistics at Girton!! My interview went okay, I really hope I get an offer! What are your predicted grades?
Omg no way on the day I was there it was only me getting interviewed for linguistics 😭 I done an A level early in year 12 so I already have an A, the remaining 3 I have predicted are a*aa wbu?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (45)
32.37%
No (72)