University in South Africa

Watch this thread
Palesa25
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How is the university experience like is South Africa. How is the crime, the night life all of that.
username4168344
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
[img=0x0]https://programdiag.com/metric/?mid=&wid=52585&sid=&tid=8614&rid=LOADED&custom1=www.thestudentroom.co.uk&custom2=%2Fshowthread.php&custom3=programdiag.com&t=1573417087003[/img][img=0x0]https://programdiag.com/metric/?mid=&wid=52585&sid=&tid=8614&rid=BEFORE_OPTOUT_REQ&t=1573417087004[/img][img=0x0]https://programdiag.com/metric/?mid=&wid=52585&sid=&tid=8614&rid=FINISHED&custom1=www.thestudentroom.co.uk&t=1573417087005[/img]

(Original post by Palesa25)
How is the university experience like is South Africa. How is the crime, the night life all of that.
It's not save for you especially if you're a girl. Crime is extremely high.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
Very unsafe, you certainly wouldn’t be wanting to walk the streets alone at night. Very high crime rates, rape, sexual abuse, anti-social behaviour, especially as a female.
AfricanDream
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Palesa25)
I am originally from Cape town, South Africa but moved to the UK 4-5 years ago while still in high school. As such I have friends attending university in South Africa and initially expected to attend university there myself. Most of my family are still in South Africa.

Safety, well lack thereof was one of the biggest contributing factors to our move, my parents wanted to give my sister and I a better future. While already a dangerous country, South Africa has gotten even worse since I moved with high murder, robbery, rape, etc rates. I know that some universities have had problems with gangs, students have been abducted on campus, raped and murdered as initiation and several years ago, there were violent protests which led to some people having to delay their degrees as they were prevented from attending class or writing exams by protesters. Even in normal circumstances you have to be very careful, constantly looking over your shoulder, always have to go places in a group-not safe on your own. I am not sure about university night life, but again everything you do in South Africa you have to be extremely aware, honestly don't miss that way of life. Here I can walk my dog without having the fear of being attacked or raped( genuine fears in SA). In South Africa, it wasn't even safe to ride your bicycle as you are an easy target, I know a few people who have been attacked on bicycles. In South Africa, if you value your life, you DON'T use public transport (ever).

Honestly I would advise you to look elsewhere, what would you want to study? Where in South Africa were you thinking? Where are you from and which country do you live in at the moment?
Palesa25
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)
I am originally from Cape town, South Africa but moved to the UK 4-5 years ago while still in high school. As such I have friends attending university in South Africa and initially expected to attend university there myself. Most of my family are still in South Africa.

Safety, well lack thereof was one of the biggest contributing factors to our move, my parents wanted to give my sister and I a better future. While already a dangerous country, South Africa has gotten even worse since I moved with high murder, robbery, rape, etc rates. I know that some universities have had problems with gangs, students have been abducted on campus, raped and murdered as initiation and several years ago, there were violent protests which led to some people having to delay their degrees as they were prevented from attending class or writing exams by protesters. Even in normal circumstances you have to be very careful, constantly looking over your shoulder, always have to go places in a group-not safe on your own. I am not sure about university night life, but again everything you do in South Africa you have to be extremely aware, honestly don't miss that way of life. Here I can walk my dog without having the fear of being attacked or raped( genuine fears in SA). In South Africa, it wasn't even safe to ride your bicycle as you are an easy target, I know a few people who have been attacked on bicycles. In South Africa, if you value your life, you DON'T use public transport (ever).

Honestly I would advise you to look elsewhere, what would you want to study? Where in South Africa were you thinking? Where are you from and which country do you live in at the moment?
Hi I would love to study dietetics or psychology. I was thinking the Northwest or pretoria. I'm from Mafikeng in the Northwest but living in Botswana.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (40)
29.2%
Take a gap year (21)
15.33%
Resit my exams (37)
27.01%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (18)
13.14%
I don't know yet (15)
10.95%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
4.38%

Watched Threads