This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
B1533– Preservation of War Memorials Bill 2019, TSR Government

Preservation of War Memorials Bill 2019

An Act to bestow upon local authorities the statutory duty to maintain war memorials.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: Statutory Duty
The following is inserted into Section 1 of the War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923:

(2) Where any war memorial is in a state of disrepair, the primary local authority has a statutory duty to incur reasonable expenditure in its restoration, and to carry out this restoration as soon as is reasonably possible.

2: Definitions
The following is inserted into Section 4 of the War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923:

(2) In this Act the expression 'primary local authority' means the council of a county, or the council of a borough or district where there is no council of a county.

3: Extent, Commencement and Short Title
(1) This Act extends to England.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.
(3) This Act may be cited as the Preservation of War Memorials Act 2019.

Notes
The War Memorials (Local Authorities’ Powers) Act 1923 currently bestows on local authorities the right to spend money maintaining war memorials in their area. This bill proposes that this right be converted into a statutory duty. As we once again remember our war dead, we should not overlook the fact that our war memorials are getting ever older too, and it is essential that an accountable process be put in place to ensure they are maintained into the future.

Last edited by Andrew97; 3 months ago
ns_2
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I see no immediate reason to oppose this.

On this solemn day, we remember the selfless sacrifice of thousands; upholding the principles of liberty and freedom. It is only right that we continue to honour this for years to come, with the dignity and glory those faithful men and women deserve.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye. May God preserve the souls of those who died for our freedom.
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye, but what's with the ******************
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Aye, but what's with the ******************
That’s odd. Not in the original. I’ll get them edited out.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A strong yes :yy:
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd be interested in seeing any evidence this change is actually required rather than a simple attempt at political point scoring. If there are no issues with maintenance as it stands this becomes a bill for the sake of a bill.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Agreed, we should require councils to ensure that these memorials remain in a good state of repair to show appropriate respect to those who have given their lives for their country.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I'd be interested in seeing any evidence this change is actually required rather than a simple attempt at political point scoring. If there are no issues with maintenance as it stands this becomes a bill for the sake of a bill.
Hear, hear. In my personal experience, the council don't upkeep many things well, but one thing they do upkeep well... are war memorials, if one is defaced it gets fixed quickly. So I concur that this bill seems nothing more than political point scoring.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Whilst I would agree that war memorials are a good thing to upkeep, my understanding is that they already fall under the councils remit? I question if they should be jumped to the top of the queue above libraries, schools, fixing potholes, community engagement or rubbish collection. Whilst it’s a nice sentiment if repairing a war memorial means that my local library is shut down or litter is left to rot on the streets I feel would not seem like a fair deal to many people.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Aph)
Whilst I would agree that war memorials are a good thing to upkeep, my understanding is that they already fall under the councils remit? I question if they should be jumped to the top of the queue above libraries, schools, fixing potholes, community engagement or rubbish collection. Whilst it’s a nice sentiment if repairing a war memorial means that my local library is shut down or litter is left to rot on the streets I feel would not seem like a fair deal to many people.
I don't anticipate that maintaining a memorial would cost so much as to close a library or to leave the council unable to pay for refuse collection. I think those examples are therefore slightly hyperbolic.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Aye, as someone who has on a number of occasions attended the wreath laying at my local war memorial.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Mr Speaker, this bill has my full support.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
This item is now in cessation.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Division! Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (476)
66.48%
No (240)
33.52%

Watched Threads