The Student Room Group

English lit a level?

What’s it like doing English literature at a level?
Reply 1
Rubbish
it's hard:redface: you gotta like the subject to put the effort in- it's a lot of work. timing i still struggle with and i'm in year 13 but i'll get there hopefully.
you have to know your texts really well, better than gcse and your analysis more sophisticated.
that being said if you like the subject then consider picking it:yes:
Cannot stress how it was the worst decision of my life. I'm in Year 13 like the other posters and it is by far my most difficult A Level (I take History and Politics too).

Unless you live and breathe reading don't do it, I made the mistake of not being like that in Y12 and now I am in a bit of a mess, but nothing I cannot recover from.

I'm just ranting really.

It's not that bad, really.
The hardest and worst thing ever. Do not pick it under any circumstance.
Reply 5
A lot, lot, lot of reading, independent research, stress because there's so much work and other things you could be doing like essay plans, quote flashcards, chapter summaries, character/ theme notes, and doubting your essay writing.

Just a big stress train lol
Personally I love it. I’m in Y14 (English Y13) and I’m doing AQA. I’ve read all the texts for the course (including coursework) which is three novels, three plays and two sets of poetry for me—not really a lot to do over two years if you read in the summer. If English is something that you enjoy you should find it really fun, going a lot deeper into texts than at GCSE is really satisfying for some people but not others and some people really suit the learning style

Quick Reply

Latest