Should you attach a proposal when you first contact a supervisor?

Watch
cdh_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I'm looking to apply for a PhD in a humanities subject and I have a draft proposal already prepared - should I attach this with my first email to a potential supervisor to save them having to ask for it or would this seem too pushy?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cdh_)
I'm looking to apply for a PhD in a humanities subject and I have a draft proposal already prepared - should I attach this with my first email to a potential supervisor to save them having to ask for it or would this seem too pushy?
No, I think it's fine. Their inboxes are full enough with just clutter, they tend to respond better to direct questions/tasks. Send them something to properly understand what you are aiming for. Just make sure your proposal isn't too long, ie not more than they ask for in the application, or less.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A CV perhaps?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cdh_)
Hi there cdh_

As threeportdrift says, academics would probably prefer to understand your proposal by seeing it. I would attach the proposal for them to view and ensure it's not too long.

Fi :horse;
cdh_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi there cdh_

As threeportdrift says, academics would probably prefer to understand your proposal by seeing it. I would attach the proposal for them to view and ensure it's not too long.

Fi :horse;
Thanks for the advice. I suppose the length is the thing - the university I'm considering wants a 2500 word proposal, which is what I've written, hence I was a bit cautious about sending such a long document at first.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by cdh_)
Thanks for the advice. I suppose the length is the thing - the university I'm considering wants a 2500 word proposal, which is what I've written, hence I was a bit cautious about sending such a long document at first.
Hi there cdh_

Definitely keep to the word count you've been given, and explain in your email that you've attached your proposal in line with the application guidelines (or similar) If it's a rough draft, tell them, so they know you're going to continue working on it before you apply.

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (136)
58.87%
No (52)
22.51%
Not sure (43)
18.61%

Watched Threads