The Student Room Group

Dyeing trousers black

I’ve got a pair of beige dickies trousers that I want to dye black. I’ve already bought Dylon dye that you put in the washing machine. But my mum’s boyfriend said I can’t do it because it’ll damage the washing machine. I’ve read that it stains the rubber rim and there could be residual dye, so it’s kind of fair even though it’s pissed me off as my house doesn’t feel like my own.

Aside from all that... I have dye that I can’t use. So what alternatives are there? I’ve seen that Dylon also do hand wash dye but apparently that doesn’t come out as evenly or as vibrantly?
Original post by Lexxxxxxio
I’ve got a pair of beige dickies trousers that I want to dye black. I’ve already bought Dylon dye that you put in the washing machine. But my mum’s boyfriend said I can’t do it because it’ll damage the washing machine. I’ve read that it stains the rubber rim and there could be residual dye, so it’s kind of fair even though it’s pissed me off as my house doesn’t feel like my own.

Aside from all that... I have dye that I can’t use. So what alternatives are there? I’ve seen that Dylon also do hand wash dye but apparently that doesn’t come out as evenly or as vibrantly?

What are the dickies made of? (poly cotton doesn't take dye all that well and you might end up with black-ish) but pure cotton does... except that the threads making up the stitching are usually quite dye resistant so you could end up with contrasting stitching.
Reply 2
Why don’t you simply buy a pair of black trousers? Jeans from Primark are less than £10
Reply 3
Original post by Joinedup
What are the dickies made of? (poly cotton doesn't take dye all that well and you might end up with black-ish) but pure cotton does... except that the threads making up the stitching are usually quite dye resistant so you could end up with contrasting stitching.

It doesn’t say but I assume it’s pure cotton. Yes I was worried about the thread too. I think it could look good with contrast sitting or my plan was to get a black fabric pen to colour it lol
Reply 4
Original post by Deggs_14
Why don’t you simply buy a pair of black trousers? Jeans from Primark are less than £10

Basically dickies are a good band especially for this winter and they have a good drop and fit. It would be so hard to find a pair of trousers from Primark that aren’t high waisted and ridiculously tight in my opinion lol. Also they are all about fast fashion and waste while I’m trying to up-cycle a pair of existing trousers that already are the fit I’m looking for.
Reply 5
Original post by Lexxxxxxio
Basically dickies are a good band especially for this winter and they have a good drop and fit. It would be so hard to find a pair of trousers from Primark that aren’t high waisted and ridiculously tight in my opinion lol. Also they are all about fast fashion and waste while I’m trying to up-cycle a pair of existing trousers that already are the fit I’m looking for.

ah okay, have you tried bleaching them white, then adding black fabric paint all over? Then once they're dry you add a mordant so the colour is permament.

Quick Reply

Latest