The Student Room Group

I get interviews but dont have the motivation to turn up.

So I have been working full time at Waitrose for just over a year now and over the past month I have been applying for jobs in an office environment, I have been applying for jobs such as Sale Advisers and Office Administrators, I have been applying as I really do not want to be a Waitrose for much longer, I don't hate it, I just find it very boring, some days can be hell with the rude customers, but I mainly can't deal with the shifts.

Anyways, since I have been applying I have had 3 interviews, turned up for 1 and missed 2, I know I am a bad person for doing this as I am making somebody else miss out on an interview, I do contact the company telling them I can't make the interview a day or 2 before, but why do I do it, I know asking people on here is probably stupid since it's me getting the interview, but when I apply and actually get the interview, I feel so good inside, but the closer it gets, the less interested I get in the job I applied for, I know I could atleast turn up for the interview, but if I am honest, I can't be bothered, I do want to leave waitrose asap, but I just can't seem to find the motivation to go to interviews.
(edited 4 years ago)
Simple, you do it because your heart isn’t really in it and you don’t actually want the job. If I were you I’d think about what job you actually want and stay at Waitrose whilst you work towards getting adequate knowledge to get said job.
Original post by cbaforcba
So I have been working full time at Waitrose for just over a year now and over the past month I have been applying for jobs in an office environment, I have been applying for jobs such as Sale Advisers and Office Administrators, I have been applying as I really do not want to be a Waitrose for much longer, I don't hate it, I just find it very boring, some days can be hell with the rude customers, but I mainly can't deal with the shifts.

Anyways, since I have been applying I have had 3 interviews, turned up for 1 and missed 2, I know I am a bad person for doing this as I am making somebody else miss out on an interview, I do contact the company telling them I can't make the interview a day or 2 before, but why do I do it, I know asking people on here is probably stupid since it's me getting the interview, but when I apply and actually get the interview, I feel so good inside, but the closer it gets, the less interested I get in the job I applied for, I know I could atleast turn up for the interview, but if I am honest, I can't be bothered, I do want to leave waitrose asap, but I just can't seem to find the motivation to go to interviews.

Remember back to when you had that issue with not getting paid from an ex employer. Waitrose won’t seem so bad then!
Reply 3
That you don't have the motivation is usually pretty self-explanatory: you just don't want the job

Not everyone loves their job, and most of us bear it as a means to an end

Sometimes ye just have to make do, but it seems that ye could actually do better but aren't taking a) the work or b) yourself seriously enough. some self-reflection is needed to see which it is, then you decide how to tackle it: could be that other lines of work are what is needed, or it could simply be an attitude adjustment that is needed
Have you thought about how the employer feels about this? My father used to manage a petrol station and lost count of the people who didn’t turn up for the interview or, having passed the interview, didn’t turn up on their start date. It is very rude to the employer, as well as dispiriting to them.

People who get jobs demonstrate keenness and commitment, so with your attitude even if you turned up, the job may well have gone to someone who actually cares.

Please reflect on what you have done, and vow to change in future if you want to improve your life and get a better job.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Have you thought about how the employer feels about this?

I hope not, and nobody should.

Companies tend to have no respect for interviewees - for instance, lying about the job description and requirements, and simply ghosting unsuccessful interviewees. Why should interviewees care about the company's fee-fees?

Worrying about how your employer feels is the only opening up another avenue for them to exploit you. Your employer's job is to extract as much value from you as possible while sending as little of it your way as possible.
Sorry but I’ve seen it from the other angle.
Sorry but I’ve seen it from the other angle.

As have I, and I totally agree with you.
Original post by MartinGrove

Companies tend to have no respect for interviewees - for instance, lying about the job description and requirements, and simply ghosting unsuccessful interviewees. Why should interviewees care about the company's fee-fees?

Worrying about how your employer feels is the only opening up another avenue for them to exploit you. Your employer's job is to extract as much value from you as possible while sending as little of it your way as possible.

Not all employers are bad, but I do feel the lower in the food chain you are (retail work, admin work), the more an employer is extracting as much as they can from you.
Have you thought about how the employer feels about this? My father used to manage a petrol station and lost count of the people who didn’t turn up for the interview or, having passed the interview, didn’t turn up on their start date. It is very rude to the employer, as well as dispiriting to them.

People who get jobs demonstrate keenness and commitment, so with your attitude even if you turned up, the job may well have gone to someone who actually cares.

Please reflect on what you have done, and vow to change in future if you want to improve your life and get a better job.

I dunno, I'd agree if they were just not showing up for the interview, but if they're calling a few days in advance to cancel that's surely different? I'd expect the vast majority of employers to assume the applicant had been offered something else in that case.
Original post by cbaforcba

Honestly get out of that muggy mindset lmao. Those employers are profiting off paying you the minimum they can get away with. You don't owe anybody sh*t, even the people applying (which it won't really affect them anyway, they'll probably be offered after you declined).
Original post by a0okke
Honestly get out of that muggy mindset lmao. Those employers are profiting off paying you the minimum they can get away with. You don't owe anybody sh*t, even the people applying (which it won't really affect them anyway, they'll probably be offered after you declined).

It's still polite to decline an interview in writing, since you may have to go begging for a job you declined a few years later.
Original post by maachu_pichuu
It's still polite to decline an interview in writing, since you may have to go begging for a job you declined a few years later.

f*ck polite and f*ck them lmao. But yeah I doubt they'll remember you applied, do they even keep applications that long
Original post by a0okke
f*ck polite and f*ck them lmao. But yeah I doubt they'll remember you applied, do they even keep applications that long

Employers keep a record of all applications for many years, it goes into a computer system. As soon as you apply again, you are flagged up. It's better to decline politely, don't be rude and don't ignore emails. When you have to go begging back (which I've had to before for a PhD position once) it looks good when you left politely rather than telling them to "go f*ck themselves".
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Not all employers are bad, but I do feel the lower in the food chain you are (retail work, admin work), the more an employer is extracting as much as they can from you.

As one needs to from a tool of production.
Reply 15
Original post by Reality Check
Remember back to when you had that issue with not getting paid from an ex employer. Waitrose won’t seem so bad then!

Haha, that was hell! Waitrose really isn't that bad, as I said though it things like the shifts I am beginning to get fed up off but also there has been alot of change in management, I have noticed it has gone downhill in the year I have been there, but people who have been there for longer than me have said that before I joined the management were much better etc
Reply 16
Original post by gjd800
That you don't have the motivation is usually pretty self-explanatory: you just don't want the job

Not everyone loves their job, and most of us bear it as a means to an end

Sometimes ye just have to make do, but it seems that ye could actually do better but aren't taking a) the work or b) yourself seriously enough. some self-reflection is needed to see which it is, then you decide how to tackle it: could be that other lines of work are what is needed, or it could simply be an attitude adjustment that is needed

Yeah, I will admit I need to adjust my attitude, just because I am abit lazy which is probably why I have no motivation, like the last interview I had which I didn't go to, when I got the interview I was really happy, but I cancelled it because I decided it wasn't for me, but then after I cancelled it I realized that it was probably a mistake and the least I could have done was go to it because if I were to be offered the job, I would've said yes in a heart beat.

But as @Reality Check has said, the very first job I had, which was a year ago before waitrose, I worked at for about a month, basically the whole company was a scam, not paying workers, cold calling etc, so past experiences have put me off, even if I know I am applying for a legit company.
Original post by a0okke

If you are rude, you are never getting a job at that place ever again. You may need to apply there again in the future, since there are only a finite number of companies near where you live. This in particular is true for universities, if you get declined a uni offer and you tell them to "go f*ck yourself", good luck when you need to apply for another degree or job there.
Reply 18

Original post by MartinGrove

To be honest, I can see where you are both coming from, but I agree with Martin more, as I have said, past experiences have made me cautious when it comes for going to interviews, I worked at a very dodgy and pretty fraudulent company and I only realized this when I had been there for a month which is why I only stayed for a month.

Yes, I know I am making others miss out which I can only apologies for, but at the time of me applying for the job, I really want it, but as it gets closer to the interview I realize it is not for me for one reason or another, whether this is an acceptable reason or not, I think one reason I lack the motivation is because these shifts make me so tired, I have a night shift week this week but I go back to normal shifts next week, so I will try and get some interviews in for next week, but for jobs I REALLLYYYY want.
I used to do shift work too, and had to look after two kids, and was suffering from cancer/ going for chemotherapy as well, but it didn’t change my attitude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending