The Student Room Group

Police caution letter

Will you get a letter sent home to my address if I have been arrested and cautioned by the police at the station?
Reply 1
Wouldnt you do better to ask either the Police or your lawyer about this?
At any rate, i have not heard of them doing this. They'll usually hand it to you in person.
Reply 2
Original post by Napp
Wouldnt you do better to ask either the Police or your lawyer about this?
At any rate, i have not heard of them doing this. They'll usually hand it to you in person.

I forgot to ask when I was at the station
Reply 3
Original post by Nakibh
I forgot to ask when I was at the station

Ring 101 and ask.
Reply 4
did you actually receive a caution or did they just question you? you would know if you received a caution because you would have had to admit to a crime.

did you get counsel from a solicitor at the station? what did they say?

www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q562.htm

moved to Advice on everyday issues.
(edited 4 years ago)
What did you do?
Reply 6
Original post by Joleee
did you actually receive a caution or did they just question you? you would know if you received a caution because you would have had to admit to a crime.

did you get counsel from a solicitor at the station? what did they say?

www.gov.uk/caution-warning-penalty

www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q562.htm

moved to Advice on everyday issues.

Yeah I received the caution, I admitted to my crime. I’m just wondering will I get a letter sent to my home address as I don’t want my family finding out
Reply 7
Original post by Nakibh
Yeah I received the caution, I admitted to my crime. I’m just wondering will I get a letter sent to my home address as I don’t want my family finding out

there is nothing in the Simple Cautions guidance that says a letter is sent to your home afterwards. it says the officer must 'provide the offender with a copy [of the caution] to take away' (see para 80). did they do that?

sending a letter to your home after is a waste of time and there are privacy issues involved. if you want to be 1000% certain tho i would contact the solicitor who advised you at the station or the station itself. you'll sleep better i think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending