HK police shot unarmed man at point blank range Watch

Baron of Sealand
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Days after the death of a student who fell to his death allegedly due to teargas and the police delaying medical assistance, an *unarmed* 21-year-old was shot by a traffic police in Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong.

https://www.facebook.com/RTHKVNEWS/videos/415693832666031/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARCV841089gd7H5vpI7nVQflqE KjSqvoB1lOV9N2DcJa0fT8V79m6u9a8T J5rzcu-h75S1FgOPpHpebg&hc_ref=ARQjvMjak DxAXKyqtFyprncRYddgBipeBiPHV-0zvqSdwRtIY8Wqu8B2Ou7t_rJn2bg&fr ef=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARB1bV4ErY2F43Ii9qsbv_Bu0QDR-VXJ1QZncMlg1GUmbl20e9XtJCoD5Fy7A Btb1ws5WroqTP8XpTA1wU5SacTWh6iC6 8-kh2tifGHHRWmeO6dGryj11HUCdsGNh6o tnLx4q_w8yTD2vG3yxxcbTrOwEeuUmaG xhGpxTvQIvynnnKZDTB8_83EC2p3Zf7D 1Q2hYx4e8vn0gj3se3hda8vvbK0MejUh-cdJZ13E-DigjzvGbNu5q5SFAmemfwKHO0l60BB8G w_V4VgHrnPAGD11PDWwell9sHhLPnqsH 2R_3aMWawJcS43VDET_TRTCejJEwqrZj yz1IT0VVY55z7XVyogjIdkgNtOAFD8GN LneNoWYcxhPqAQVJLtGTMv_0bp49

From the video, you can see a police officer who was not surrounded, not targeted whilst protesters were casually walking around, suddenly rushed to an unarmed protester (perhaps the protester was swearing at him or something), and held him hostage-style. Then, another *unarmed* protester walked to him, when the police officer simply shot him in the stomach. He fired 2 more shots as people reacted to his shot.

The protesters at the time were generally setting up barricades. And may I remind everyone that no police officer, government official, or pro-Beijing person in Hong Kong has been killed by so-called 'violent' protesters.

---

In recent months, many countries have suffered from civil unrests.

Iraq chose to set up an independent commission and their situation has now calmed down.

Indonesia has swiftly suspended their bill and has now returned to calm.

Ecuador has opened dialogue with its people and peace is now returning.

Perú listened to its people and the protest movement has stopped.

Chile has given into the demands of the protesters and launched several more policies.

Lebanon's government has fallen.

Sudan has once again promised democracy.

Mexico City rejected a violent put-down and their riot was settled within days.

Bolivia's president has just resigned, although we don't know if that would directly lead to peace.

On the other hand, Venezuela has denied the voice of the people and has remained in chaos.

The Congo's unrests have gone on for years.

Haiti is still killing people with no signs of the protests being concluded.

And it seems Hong Kong is in the latter group, what's with the government continued strategy of putting down unrests at all costs.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Baron of Sealand)
Days after the death of a student who fell to his death allegedly due to teargas and the police delaying medical assistance, an *unarmed* 21-year-old was shot by a traffic police in Sai Wan Ho, Hong Kong.

https://www.facebook.com/RTHKVNEWS/videos/415693832666031/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARCV841089gd7H5vpI7nVQflqE KjSqvoB1lOV9N2DcJa0fT8V79m6u9a8T J5rzcu-h75S1FgOPpHpebg&hc_ref=ARQjvMjak DxAXKyqtFyprncRYddgBipeBiPHV-0zvqSdwRtIY8Wqu8B2Ou7t_rJn2bg&fr ef=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARB1bV4ErY2F43Ii9qsbv_Bu0QDR-VXJ1QZncMlg1GUmbl20e9XtJCoD5Fy7A Btb1ws5WroqTP8XpTA1wU5SacTWh6iC6 8-kh2tifGHHRWmeO6dGryj11HUCdsGNh6o tnLx4q_w8yTD2vG3yxxcbTrOwEeuUmaG xhGpxTvQIvynnnKZDTB8_83EC2p3Zf7D 1Q2hYx4e8vn0gj3se3hda8vvbK0MejUh-cdJZ13E-DigjzvGbNu5q5SFAmemfwKHO0l60BB8G w_V4VgHrnPAGD11PDWwell9sHhLPnqsH 2R_3aMWawJcS43VDET_TRTCejJEwqrZj yz1IT0VVY55z7XVyogjIdkgNtOAFD8GN LneNoWYcxhPqAQVJLtGTMv_0bp49

From the video, you can see a police officer who was not surrounded, not targeted whilst protesters were casually walking around, suddenly rushed to an unarmed protester (perhaps the protester was swearing at him or something), and held him hostage-style. Then, another *unarmed* protester walked to him, when the police officer simply shot him in the stomach. He fired 2 more shots as people reacted to his shot.

The protesters at the time were generally setting up barricades. And may I remind everyone that no police officer, government official, or pro-Beijing person in Hong Kong has been killed by so-called 'violent' protesters.

---

In recent months, many countries have suffered from civil unrests.

Iraq chose to set up an independent commission and their situation has now calmed down.

Indonesia has swiftly suspended their bill and has now returned to calm.

Ecuador has opened dialogue with its people and peace is now returning.

Perú listened to its people and the protest movement has stopped.

Chile has given into the demands of the protesters and launched several more policies.

Lebanon's government has fallen.

Sudan has once again promised democracy.

Mexico City rejected a violent put-down and their riot was settled within days.

Bolivia's president has just resigned, although we don't know if that would directly lead to peace.

On the other hand, Venezuela has denied the voice of the people and has remained in chaos.

The Congo's unrests have gone on for years.

Haiti is still killing people with no signs of the protests being concluded.

And it seems Hong Kong is in the latter group, what's with the government continued strategy of putting down unrests at all costs.
Did you really just compare HK to Haiti...
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Apparently the Hong Kong rioters are even more barbaric;

In another incident, a pro-Beijing supporter was doused in flammable liquid and set on fire after arguing with protesters.
I'm pretty sure that counts as a "so-called violent" protest, wouldnt you say?
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Napp

Are you suggesting any one of the following?

1. That the man who was shot somehow made it way to later set fire to another person.

2. The man should be shot for a crime committed by someone else in another place at a different time in the future.

3. If there is any criminal in a society at all, the police has the right to do whatever they want to anyone else.

4. The same crime committed by the police is exactly the same as any ordinary person committing it?

If not, what's the relevance of mentioning another incident done by anyone person at another place at another time?

(In any case, I wasn't aware of the latter incident when I posted the thread. Not that it was ever relevant.)
DiddyDecAlt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
He tried to attack an armed police officer who clearly felt threatened, not a bright move.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDecAlt)
He tried to attack an armed police officer who clearly felt threatened, not a bright move.
So basically, if the protesters killed this officer after he fired shots, that'd be totally fine with you?
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  IMG_0141.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  134.0 KB
As of now. Another strike today.
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So basically, if the protesters killed this officer after he fired shots, that'd be totally fine with you?
I'm not fine with any of it but trying to attack someone aiming a gun at you is a recipe for disaster.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8013)
Views: 17
Size:  134.0 KB
As of now. Another strike today.
The principal of the old secondary school of the guy who died a few days ago said her school has suspended classes because the police was attacking them with teargas, and parents were worried about safety. She also chairs the subsidized secondary schools council and urged the police to follow the law.

The HK University of Science and Technology also said they're allowing only members of the university to enter its campus, after it was under siege by the police earlier. Although this one they didn't mention anyone in particular.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
I'm not fine with any of it but trying to attack someone aiming a gun at you is a recipe for disaster.
The guy who was shot was seemingly only trying to help the first guy escape, who was suddenly grabbed by the traffic police after possibly shouting and/or swearing at him.
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Views: 9
Size:  134.8 KB
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The guy who was shot was seemingly only trying to help the first guy escape, who was suddenly grabbed by the traffic police after possibly shouting and/or swearing at him.
He was approaching an armed officer with the intent to most likely attack him in order the help the other protester escape. The officer is left with two options, get attacked or defend himself.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Napp

Are you suggesting any one of the following?
Here we go...
1. That the man who was shot somehow made it way to later set fire to another person.
I'm pretty sure you can answer this yourself, assuming you actually read my comment.
2. The man should be shot for a crime committed by someone else in another place at a different time in the future.
Nope. then again, did you actually watch the video? If you reach for an officers firearm (or can be perceieved as such) expect to be shot.
3. If there is any criminal in a society at all, the police has the right to do whatever they want to anyone else.

4. The same crime committed by the police is exactly the same as any ordinary person committing it?

If not, what's the relevance of mentioning another incident done by anyone person at another place at another time?

(In any case, I wasn't aware of the latter incident when I posted the thread. Not that it was ever relevant.)
As to the other questions i can very easily answer them with my own question Did you read my comment because im starting to doubt it.
I quite clearly addressed it to your claim that the riots werent violent. Rioters murdering people by burning them alive would seem to categorically prove you wrong. As would any video clip from the riots for that matter.
I get that you hate the Chinese government but defending rioters who loot, destroy and murder seems somewhat beyond the pale.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
He was approaching an armed officer with the intent to most likely attack him in order the help the other protester escape. The officer is left with two options, get attacked or defend himself.
I'll remember not to help you if I see you expencing an armed robbery, because clearly if I do help you and get shot you're just going to say "I told you so".
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll remember not to help you if I see you expencing an armed robbery, because clearly if I do help you and get shot you're just going to say "I told you so".
I would prefer you not to put yourself in danger, unless you are Neo.
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
I would prefer you not to put yourself in danger, unless you are Neo.
I am responsible for my own life, but if I do help you and risk my life, I would still have expected a thank you rather than a "what do you expect".
Baron of Sealand
Rep:
?
Napp There are very few revolutions in the world that would result in no deaths for the regime. This is one of them, but somehow you don't acknowledge the fact that 10 protesters at least have died while none has from the other side. The burning incident is the closest it has gotten to someone's life, yet still isn't a murder, because nobody died. I certainly don't see the point burning that man at all, that man wasn't getting physical (unlike for example that taxi driver who drove into the crowd and has left 2 people permanently disabled), and he was just some random. But that's ultimately irrelevant because you're literally picking one possible murder attempt (murder requires intent, which we don't know anything about) to somehow try to justify something.

Similarly, you're categorically wrong about "looting". In any other country, there would have been quite a bit of looting, but there has been no looting whatsoever. Shops and establishments are trashed because they support the regime (or collaborated with the police), not because anyone wants money or materials from them. In the same building, you can see Maxim (whose major shareholder went on the UN to badmouth the protests months ago) trashed on the first floor, whilst the electronics shop (ie one with a lot more valuables and cash) on the ground floor (ie easier access) owned by Sir Ka-shing Li (who never officially supported the protests other than suggesting that the government should give young people some room).

And of course you don't seem to realize that much of the fighting only really happen because of police provocation. Consider the just-concluded Battle of Chinese University of Hong Kong: It was like a warzone. I imagine you'd consider the protesters violent. But have you ever asked yourself why there was a clash? Was it not expected of university students to appear on their university campus, which also has many residential halls and dormitories? Instead, ask yourself, why were there police there in the first place? Is it because it's now illegal for students to go to school and stay at home?

This is not an isolated case. The whole movement escalated exactly because of actions from the government and the police. There were major marches in peace, and what happened? Nothing. The government ignored them. So people peacefully occupied the area around the legislature. What happened? The police tear-gassed and shot numerous straight in the head (with rubber bullets). Why did protesters start destroying public properties? Why don't you look at what happened during the Yuen Long triad attack? Why were there further esculations? Have you considered the possibility that it was a response to things like a first-aider losing her eye? Why don't you check out what happened on 31 August? And then what happened on 1 October? And then a 14-year-old getting shot? Remember that Indonesian journalist who lost her eye? The protests died down a little a week ago, and then what happened? A boy was avoiding the intense teargasing and (officially) fell to his death, after the police delayed medical attention for him. And then what's happening today? Well, something to do with the police shooting this unarmed person perhaps? In addition to the fact that they ran over to a university campus on the outskirts literally looking for a fight?

On Monday alone, people from 4-month-old to 83-year-old were hospitalized, possibly because of the generous shooting of tear gas everywhere (the police even shot tear gas straight into an elderly centre). And here you are, pointing finger at the victims, who are simply defending their home from further Chinese encroachment. If totally peaceful protests work, why hasn't Hong Kong had universal suffrage as guaranteed by the Chinese-approved Basic Law? Why wasn't the bill withdrawn when 25% of the population took to the street? My advice to you: read before you judge.

In fact, many of those protest movements I mentioned, such as Chile, Bolivia, and Ecuador have been way more violent. And look at them now: Chile now will have a new constitution, Bolivia's would-be dictator fled, Ecuador has now struck a deal with the protesters. The tactics of the protesters are less important than how the government responds to the protests. The government's response of fighting stove fire with forest fire has made things worse and worse, and they are solely responsible for that.

Going back to this case, there was no rioting at that time. People were throwing rubbish on to the streets in the hopes that they would be blocked (not a very good attempt). There's a reason why it's a traffic police there and that there's no riot police. Said traffic police suddenly grabbed a person who at worst would've only sworn at the officer, it's a human response to try to help. Was it wise the way it was attempted? No. But why are you blaming the victim?
DiddyDecAlt
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am responsible for my own life, but if I do help you and risk my life, I would still have expected a thank you rather than a "what do you expect".
Something more along the lines of "That was ****ing stupid, but thanks for the help".
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Name:  IMG_0147.JPG
Views: 6
Size:  150.7 KB
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I got a message from 6142-9036 saying that school will be suspended for the next 2 days. As I have a Chemistry test on Friday and I have the phone number of my Chemistry teacher, I called him and he told me that the test may be postponed to next week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (108)
33.96%
No I don't (147)
46.23%
I work during the holidays (63)
19.81%

Watched Threads