The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan Eligibility

After living in England for nearly 7 years my family moved back to Spain and I am now finishing my A level studies here. My dad has UK citizenship and is working for a hospital in the UK although he is living with us in Spain. He is continuing paying taxes as if we were still living in the UK. I was wondering if I would be eligible for a maintenance loan? I know it says I must have been living in England for 3 years prior to the start of my course but does that mean the immediate 3 years before I start my course?
Original post by isabel105sc
After living in England for nearly 7 years my family moved back to Spain and I am now finishing my A level studies here. My dad has UK citizenship and is working for a hospital in the UK although he is living with us in Spain. He is continuing paying taxes as if we were still living in the UK. I was wondering if I would be eligible for a maintenance loan? I know it says I must have been living in England for 3 years prior to the start of my course but does that mean the immediate 3 years before I start my course?

Hi,

What is your nationality?

Thanks, Amy
Reply 2
Original post by Amy SFE
Hi,

What is your nationality?

Thanks, Amy

Sorry I should've clarified that, I'm Spanish
Sorry I should've clarified that, I'm Spanish

Hi there,

As an EU national you need to have lived in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of your course to be eligible as a home student. If you are resident within the UK on or before the 1st day of the 1st academic year and will would in the UK you may be eligible to apply as a Migrant Worker. If this is the case you can apply for a Maintenance Loan. Otherwise you would only be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Erin
Reply 4
Original post by Erin SFE
Hi there,

As an EU national you need to have lived in the UK for 5 years prior to the start of your course to be eligible as a home student. If you are resident within the UK on or before the 1st day of the 1st academic year and will would in the UK you may be eligible to apply as a Migrant Worker. If this is the case you can apply for a Maintenance Loan. Otherwise you would only be eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan.

Thanks, Erin

Hi,
Could you just confirm if 5 years prior means the 5 years immediately before the start of the course? As I have lived in the UK from 2012 to 2018 and have only moved to Spain to finish my A levels.
Hi,
Could you just confirm if 5 years prior means the 5 years immediately before the start of the course? As I have lived in the UK from 2012 to 2018 and have only moved to Spain to finish my A levels.

Hi Isabel,

The five years would need to be immediately prior to starting your course.

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest