Hollymae764
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Why do London forces occur between polar molecules? I know that London Forces occur between all molecules but I don't understand how.
With non polar molecules, the shift in electrons causes it to become instantaneous and induce other non polar molecules and they attract and that's the London force. But how does this happen between polar molecules because a shift in their electrons would still mean their polar and they will already be attracted to their other polar molecules so nothing is induced or becomes instantaneous.

Someone please explain this to me
Pigster
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hollymae764)
Why do London forces occur between polar molecules? I know that London Forces occur between all molecules but I don't understand how.
With non polar molecules, the shift in electrons causes it to become instantaneous and induce other non polar molecules and they attract and that's the London force. But how does this happen between polar molecules because a shift in their electrons would still mean their polar and they will already be attracted to their other polar molecules so nothing is induced or becomes instantaneous.

We consider decane as non-polar as all the dipoles (between C and H) cancel out, as there is symmetry. Molecules will attract each other by London Forces.

Now consider 1-chlorodecane, most of the molecule is non-polar and therefore will attract by London Forces. The polar ends of the molecules can attract each other by dipole dipole attractions. But which IMF is stronger? Most probably the LDF are more important (read stronger) than the DD.
dj_ad_1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hollymae764)

london forces occur due to the 'Molecules that undergo this instantaneous increase in their dipole are then able to induce an increase in the dipoles of other molecules.' I assume polar molecules are more likely to have an instantaneous increase in their dipoles.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (10)
6.02%
They've been reasonable (68)
40.96%
Not feeling great... (44)
26.51%
They are TERRIBLE! (44)