ineedthreeAs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm resitting this year and my school said they'd handle my UCAS application but they're only willing to predict me BBB and all the unis I'm applying to require want AAA, I don't want to resit and end up at a place I could've just cleared in to.

Do I have any other options?
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ineedthreeAs)
I'm resitting this year and my school said they'd handle my UCAS application but they're only willing to predict me BBB and all the unis I'm applying to require want AAA, I don't want to resit and end up at a place I could've just cleared in to.

Beat those predictions and take a gap year.
hannychica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Perhaps you could try Adjustment if you exceed your offer on results day? What were your original grades?
chloe0804
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the same sort of boat. Did absolutely ****e at my alevels so I’m gonna take two years out- this year to retake and then I’m gonna apply with my actual grades. Otherwise I don’t think I’d be offered anything
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by ageshallnot)
Beat those predictions and take a gap year.
It looks like I'm going to have to really don't want to though 2 years out is too much for me
(Original post by hannychica)
Perhaps you could try Adjustment if you exceed your offer on results day? What were your original grades?
I thought about that but that means I'm going to have to work as hard as I can and then leave it up to chance about where I end up
(Original post by chloe0804)
I’m in the same sort of boat. Did absolutely ****e at my alevels so I’m gonna take two years out- this year to retake and then I’m gonna apply with my actual grades. Otherwise I don’t think I’d be offered anything
Damn tho 2 years is hard to accept lol, looks like I'll have to do the same thing though
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Damn tho 2 years is hard to accept lol, looks like I'll have to do the same thing though
Life is a long old game...!
JamesAndrews1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

You could try calling UCAS and say to them that your College isn't predicting your retake grades. In the past some1 did this and UCAS allowed them to put their predicted grades somehow into their application. The only thing is if you r allowed to do this, then you will have to tell your College you don't want them to predict your grades. Don't tell them y. Make sure to first call UCAS and sort it out before you say anything to your College. Good luck.
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by JamesAndrews1)
You could try calling UCAS and say to them that your College isn't predicting your retake grades. In the past some1 did this and UCAS allowed them to put their predicted grades somehow into their application. The only thing is if you r allowed to do this, then you will have to tell your College you don't want them to predict your grades. Don't tell them y. Make sure to first call UCAS and sort it out before you say anything to your College. Good luck.
Yeah I understand, my school say I can just sit my exams there and get someone else to handle my UCAS application but are you sure they'd let me be my own referee?
JamesAndrews1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure how it works fully. Definitely try getting the college to do your UCAS as it would probably be more favourable to a uni to c it's coming from a college but try to add predicted grades in your UCAS application by calling. I'm not 100% sure if you can. Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Firstly, you can't be your own referee so you need the school's help and if they are predicting you BBB, you need to be more realistic with the unis you apply to. Your grades last year weren't brilliant (sorry to be blunt) so it should not be the case that "all the unis I'm applying to require AAA."

You should apply to a range of unis - only one or two aspirational ones requiring AAA (although places like UCL/LSE/Kings will not make you offers with your achieved grades plus BBB predictions). You would be far more likely to get offers (and get in!) if you apply to unis asking for AAB- ABB - those sort of unis may well give you the benefit of the doubt that you can achieve slightly higher than the school predicted grades.

I don't want to be harsh about it but I'm trying to be cruel to be kind so you are in a good position this summer to start a Law degree
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Firstly, you can't be your own referee so you need the school's help and if they are predicting you BBB, you need to be more realistic with the unis you apply to. Your grades last year weren't brilliant (sorry to be blunt) so it should not be the case that "all the unis I'm applying to require AAA."

You should apply to a range of unis - only one or two aspirational ones requiring AAA (although places like UCL/LSE/Kings will not make you offers with your achieved grades plus BBB predictions). You would be far more likely to get offers (and get in!) if you apply to unis asking for AAB- ABB - those sort of unis may well give you the benefit of the doubt that you can achieve slightly higher than the school predicted grades.

I don't want to be harsh about it but I'm trying to be cruel to be kind so you are in a good position this summer to start a Law degree
Thanks I understand that but I'm not spending another year resitting to end up at a uni I don't want to go to in other words settling for less. It looks like I'm gonna have to take 2 years out or see what's available in clearing or adjustment this year.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks I understand that but I'm not spending another year resitting to end up at a uni I don't want to go to in other words settling for less. It looks like I'm gonna have to take 2 years out or see what's available in clearing or adjustment this year.
So you're not prepared to even apply to AAB unis as an Insurance, only AAA?
ineedthreeAs
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
So you're not prepared to even apply to AAB unis as an Insurance, only AAA?
If I applied to AAA unis or AAB I'm not likely to get an offer from either with a BBB prediction tbh so I'm not sure if it matters either way
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If I applied to AAA unis or AAB I'm not likely to get an offer from either with a BBB prediction tbh so I'm not sure if it matters either way
You are more likely to get offers from AAB Unis
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (180)
48.91%
No (44)
11.96%
I'm not old enough (144)
39.13%

Watched Threads