Dropping out of Uni - paying for accommodation Watch

hazzajazza1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I want to drop out of Uni as it isn't for me at all. However I am still needing to pay for my accommodation, I was after some advice about how to go about all of this.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
potentially you are liable as you will have signed a legal contract, but, that's probably on the assumption that your room will remain empty for a year (minus the months that you have used already)

if the uni successfully re-lets your room, that might minimise any fees (mine were just capped at 2000 swiss Francs, in a similar situation to yours - oh, and they arrived two months after having left, carefully & meeting every condition that was supposed to have been met, or so I thought)

So either you can put up a notice and ask if anyone wishes to take your room, phone 07-xxxxxx etc, sublet/find your new lessee for your uni
or ask the university themselves as they will surely have someone on a waiting list. Go and talk to Housing, try to avoid my large bill!
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey.

You may be able to get someone to take your room (check Facebook groups for your accommodation, etc). Stick it up on some housing sites where possible.

Worst case scenario is that you may just have to pay for your room. Maybe you could use it and get a job wherever you're living there? Earn the money back type thing.

Best of luck!
Joshua
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by hazzajazza1)
I want to drop out of Uni as it isn't for me at all. However I am still needing to pay for my accommodation, I was after some advice about how to go about all of this.
Check your tenancy agreement. If you can only get out of your contract by finding someone to take over your room, advertise on social media, Facebook, GumTree, SpareRoom etc. If you can find a replacement tenant to take over your contract (and therefore the responsibility of paying the rent), you should then be able to stop paying.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.73%
Labour (554)
51.63%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.42%
Green Party (59)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.58%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)