The Student Room Group

MOT fail! How much is this going to cost?

So my 58 reg Toyota Aygo failed its MOT yesterday. Major defects were: - service brake excessively binding offside rear - reg plate lamp out Any idea how much this is going to cost me? I'm going to call around to get quotes but really don't want to get ripped off!
Doesn't sound too bad to me anyway, a single brake needs work and the reg plate lamp is a simple bulb change unless the fittings/screws have rotted away. Did the garage not give a quote for the work or do they not offer repairs?
Reply 2
Original post by tealover96
So my 58 reg Toyota Aygo failed its MOT yesterday. Major defects were: - service brake excessively binding offside rear - reg plate lamp out Any idea how much this is going to cost me? I'm going to call around to get quotes but really don't want to get ripped off!

New caliper and a bulb. Couple hundred?
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
Doesn't sound too bad to me anyway, a single brake needs work and the reg plate lamp is a simple bulb change unless the fittings/screws have rotted away. Did the garage not give a quote for the work or do they not offer repairs?

thanks for the reply. it was a kwikfit which i've heard overcharge? only went there for MOT because of student discount tbh so went to a local instead
Reply 4
Original post by IWMTom

turns out it didn't need a new caliper which is what i expected too. He just took out and did something with the drum - no idea? cost me 84 quid
thanks for the reply. it was a kwikfit which i've heard overcharge? only went there for MOT because of student discount tbh so went to a local instead

I've never used them myself but heard all the same stories, poor yet expensive work that you probably don't need.

Glad it wasn't the caliper though, I'd read that was a possibility but didn't really know enough to comment. I think the caliper is like the worst case/sod's law option.
Reply 6
turns out it didn't need a new caliper which is what i expected too. He just took out and did something with the drum - no idea? cost me 84 quid

Oh, drum brake. Right. Gotcha.

I would have said caliper but you said it was something to do with drum brake. At least its sorted and it did well to pass it's mot on just that and a bulb

Original post by IWMTom

couple hundred ? brand new caliper around £30 - £40, bulb £1

I had the 2 rear calipers replaced for brand new, new rear discs and pads total cost around £80 - £95 inc VAT , I paid around £27 each for brake calipers brand new.
I am not a mechanic by any means I researched a few youtube vidoes did step by step and did it myself. not a hard job at all unless the bolts are seized solid and the caliper piston is seized ( not a problem if changing caliper as they so cheap anyway)
Reply 8
Not as much as your insurance.

That is a really good result. Well done on buying a basically sound car. Long may it continue.

£84 is nothing. in the context of keeping a car safe and running on the road.
Reply 10
Original post by Cleverboy1991
Oh here we go again, mr clever clogs thinks he knows it all. OP ignore this fool

Ooo someone's cranky, did someone finger you again?

Quick Reply

Latest