The Student Room Group

New workplace won't accept degree transcript as evidence?

So I was successful in an interview for a Medical Lab Assistant job at a great hospital but they will only accept my degree certificate as evidence. Unfortuntely I don't have mine and have to order a new one, which I did but it'll take up to 28 days to arrive (they're aware)... Kinda dissappointed and worried they could retract the job offer or something.

In my mind a degree transcript/certificate are just pieces of paper and you'd have to contact my uni to verify them either way. Is this normal protocol for stuff like this?
I haven't really heard of anywhere accepting a transcript instead of a certificate.
Reply 2
I have twice had employers ask to see my diploma from my graduate school [i hold a masters degree in electrical engineering]. They also checked with my undergraduate school, to insure that i had a bachelors in electrical engineering. The undergraduate school is in New England [500 or so miles north], whilst the grad school is in downtown D.C. [a local phone call for the employer in each case]. Since graduate schools require you to have an appropriate undergraduate degree before admitting you to start work on your masters, i found it strange that they would bother to check with my undergraduate uni. Both of them said - "Well, that's our policy, we verify everything on your resume' [CV].

One of the HR people told me that more than 30% of the CVs they get in had something 'phony' on them. I didn't think to ask if these were just CVs that they were considering, or people that had already been hired. The answer to that question would have been interesting. Best of luck!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by rolla01
So I was successful in an interview for a Medical Lab Assistant job at a great hospital but they will only accept my degree certificate as evidence. Unfortuntely I don't have mine and have to order a new one, which I did but it'll take up to 28 days to arrive (they're aware)... Kinda dissappointed and worried they could retract the job offer or something.

In my mind a degree transcript/certificate are just pieces of paper and you'd have to contact my uni to verify them either way. Is this normal protocol for stuff like this?

I have never had a job interview [here in the States], where they would accept anything from me. They always insisted upon an 'official transcript' from the uni in question, with the uni's 'seal' on it. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending