Should I read the whole chapter/book? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I'm doing an ancient history dissertation, so obviously there's a lot of reading that comes with that. My first chapter is going to be about the social context of Rome and the violence there, and I've read a couple of things on it. I was wondering if I had to read a whole chapter/book that seemed relevant, though? Or would the conclusion/intro for that chapter be alright? Because mostly I'll be using ancient sources to describe the context anyway, and all I need is the scholar's arguments which they usually sum up in their intros/conclusions anyway, so do I need to read the whole thing from a book that isn't directly relevant to my dissertation question?
Chronoscope
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm doing an ancient history dissertation, so obviously there's a lot of reading that comes with that. My first chapter is going to be about the social context of Rome and the violence there, and I've read a couple of things on it. I was wondering if I had to read a whole chapter/book that seemed relevant, though? Or would the conclusion/intro for that chapter be alright? Because mostly I'll be using ancient sources to describe the context anyway, and all I need is the scholar's arguments which they usually sum up in their intros/conclusions anyway, so do I need to read the whole thing from a book that isn't directly relevant to my dissertation question?
You might get some extra information for your dissertation using the extra chapters - the arguments/points the author makes in the intro could go more indepth, or you might decide you need the information afterall.
But as long as you write down the books info you could always go back to the book if you want.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would recommend at least skim-reading the chapter if nothing else. You may find some useful insights in it, and sections that put what you've read in the intro and conclusion into context.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As the above two comments:
- Skim read or scan through it to get a rough idea of what it's about
- Check it out for the sheer purpose there may be a few quotes that you can use or reference
- Read it as and when you need it, if you don't have the time to do it right now

The more reading you do, generally, the better. It'll help compound your knowledge on the subject.
Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (82)
19.48%
Labour (206)
48.93%
Liberal Democrats (57)
13.54%
Green Party (26)
6.18%
Brexit Party (5)
1.19%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.71%
SNP (8)
1.9%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.71%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.43%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (2)