Compliance and Identification - AQA A-Level Psychology (HELP)

Watch
username4961772
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, sorry in advance for a very confusing question.

In the textbook (the pink/green hair one) identification is defined as something along the lines of "public change in a person's behavior/opinions to fit in with the group (because they identify with it) even if privately the person does not agree with everything the group stands for".

However, other resources (mostly revision websites) define 'identification' as "private change in a person's opinions/behavior which is usually short-term and stops when the group pressure stops". This definition makes more sense as it differentiates 'identification' much better from 'compliance'. Compliance is basically 'going along with others in public' and that your personal opinions do not change.

I literally spent hours researching into this because I am afraid of using the definitions from the website, given how strict examiners are with keywords. Does anyone know which definition is 'better' for the exam?

I would love some help with this. Thanks
Last edited by username4961772; 1 year ago
Kaaiowo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Identification states: public change in a persons behaviour because there's something in the group they value.

Compliance states: public change in a persons behaviour because they fear of disapproval and social rejection.

Ignore what other websites/resources say. The pink/green haired book has been voted by the AQA making it the official book for studying. Everything on that book is correct!
username4961772
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Kaaiowo)
Identification states: public change in a persons behaviour because there's something in the group they value.

Compliance states: public change in a persons behaviour because they fear of disapproval and social rejection.

Ignore what other websites/resources say. The pink/green haired book has been voted by the AQA making it the official book for studying. Everything on that book is correct!
oh so the difference between the two types of conformity isn't in how the person conforms but why they conform. That really does help, I was going insane trying to think of the differences.

Thank you!! I think I become easily anxious about how accurate the information presented is so always do extra research and that leads to confusion. This helped a lot, cheers x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.05%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.14%
No I am happy with my choice (118)
56.19%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.62%

Watched Threads