Inserting a tampon Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I feel rather embarrassed about asking this question but here goes.
All my period life to date I have only ever worn pads.
The time has now come for me to incorporate wearing pads with tampons.
The problem I am having is inserting the tampon, I have never used them before and I cant seem to get one in.
I have already started my period and need to get to grips with how to insert one.
Is there a posistion/ posture that makes insertion alot easier?
Please your advice / help would be most welcome.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 weeks ago
Sitting down makes it easier or like in a bent position. Basically not standing straight. Buying small ones to start with that have those things to help with inserting them. Using them when you’re actually bleeding so it’s not too dry down there. Inserting them fully so you don’t feel them while you’re walking. I recently started using them like couple months ago cos I also had problems with trying to insert them.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
This is a totally normal thing to feel anxious about and I have to admit that my mum was a major help.

Some people find it easiest for the first few tries lying on their back. The key is to use a tampon with a plastic inserter, relax your whole body and aim for the small of your back. Other people like to put one foot up on the toilet seat at a right angle and others (personal tactic) simply stand.
If you haven't before can I suggest using a mirror just to get to know your downstairs (odd suggestion I know!!) but this will help you manoeuvre everything. Then when it comes to it apply some pressure, might need to adjust it a few times, until your fingers are touching your skin.

A quick disclaimer that it does feel really weird at first and tbh from time to time I struggle, but it gets better! I used to find that the first bit of pushing would hurt and then it would break through, but now that is gone. I also used to feel rather nauseous and if that happens to you, just sit down.

Best of luck!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
Sitting down makes it easier or like in a bent position. Basically not standing straight. Buying small ones to start with that have those things to help with inserting them. Using them when you’re actually bleeding so it’s not too dry down there. Inserting them fully so you don’t feel them while you’re walking. I recently started using them like couple months ago cos I also had problems with trying to insert them.
Thankyou will give the positions ago. When you say with those things to help do you mean applicators? The brand I have bought are Tampax pearl with applicator, did I buy the right brand?
At this rate my period will be finished before I get one in lol.
Anonymous #4
Report 3 weeks ago
Squatting helps, and directing it towards the small of your back when you're inserting it, rather than just straight up. General rule of thumb is if you can feel it, then it isn't in right. Use the right absorbancy as well because taking out a dry tampon is uncomfortable af!
I personally could never get the hang of using an applicator - I found just inserting it by hand so much easier. Google will probably have a few cartoons of how to do it if that helps?
If you're not comfortable wearing them, there's always the option of moon/diva cups (never used them though so couldn't say what they're like).
Anonymous #1
This is a totally normal thing to feel anxious about and I have to admit that my mum was a major help.

Some people find it easiest for the first few tries lying on their back. The key is to use a tampon with a plastic inserter, relax your whole body and aim for the small of your back. Other people like to put one foot up on the toilet seat at a right angle and others (personal tactic) simply stand.
If you haven't before can I suggest using a mirror just to get to know your downstairs (odd suggestion I know!!) but this will help you manoeuvre everything. Then when it comes to it apply some pressure, might need to adjust it a few times, until your fingers are touching your skin.

A quick disclaimer that it does feel really weird at first and tbh from time to time I struggle, but it gets better! I used to find that the first bit of pushing would hurt and then it would break through, but now that is gone. I also used to feel rather nauseous and if that happens to you, just sit down.

Best of luck!
Thankyou for your advice.
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Thankyou for your advice.
No problem xx
Anonymous #1
No problem xx
Hi there thought I would just let you know after your advice, I was able to insert my tampon.
Would you believe the best posistion for me was the one with my foot up on the toilet seat. Not the most ladylike of positions but never the less effective which is all that matters.
It does feel strange though wearing a pad and tampon combined, but I guess I will get used to it.
Hopefully it will stop the problem I was having with leakages. Thankyou once again. Xx
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi there thought I would just let you know after your advice, I was able to insert my tampon.
Would you believe the best posistion for me was the one with my foot up on the toilet seat. Not the most ladylike of positions but never the less effective which is all that matters.
It does feel strange though wearing a pad and tampon combined, but I guess I will get used to it.
Hopefully it will stop the problem I was having with leakages. Thankyou once again. Xx
ahaha that was best for me at first too! It will stop the leakages and I promise it gets more comfy xx
imo__o
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Thankyou will give the positions ago. When you say with those things to help do you mean applicators? The brand I have bought are Tampax pearl with applicator, did I buy the right brand?
At this rate my period will be finished before I get one in lol.
That’s the one I use. I first used the small ones. Now I use medium sized ones
Anonymous #1
ahaha that was best for me at first too! It will stop the leakages and I promise it gets more comfy xx
Thanks that's great to know, just feels strange at the moment. Do you still use the same position? Or have you changed?
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Thanks that's great to know, just feels strange at the moment. Do you still use the same position? Or have you changed?
I just stand now, I find it easier.
Anonymous #1
I just stand now, I find it easier.
I think now that I have found a way that works I will stick with it. Wanted your advice. I took the tampon out when I went to bed last night, and just wore a pad.
Did not like the idea of having something in side me whilst I was sleeping, do you think that was the right thing to do? What do you do? Have inserted one this morning and found it easier than yesterday, so that's positive.
Still feels strange though wearing them together, still like you say hopefully I will get used to it. Thankyou again for all your help. Xx
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
I think now that I have found a way that works I will stick with it. Wanted your advice. I took the tampon out when I went to bed last night, and just wore a pad.
Did not like the idea of having something in side me whilst I was sleeping, do you think that was the right thing to do? What do you do? Have inserted one this morning and found it easier than yesterday, so that's positive.
Still feels strange though wearing them together, still like you say hopefully I will get used to it. Thankyou again for all your help. Xx
I don't sleep with them in bc I'm always scared of TS or something so yeah. Well done though x
Anonymous #1
I don't sleep with them in bc I'm always scared of TS or something so yeah. Well done though x
Oh thankyou, you have kind of echoed what I thought. Still feels very strange though, any idea how long it takes before it starts feeling normal?
So your advice would be for evening to wear pads only?
Sorry to be such a pain to you. Xx
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Oh thankyou, you have kind of echoed what I thought. Still feels very strange though, any idea how long it takes before it starts feeling normal?
So your advice would be for evening to wear pads only?
Sorry to be such a pain to you. Xx
No problem thats what this website is for. I am afraid that that's entirely personal preference and I would feel out of place telling you it's right or wrong to wear them overnight. You will just get more and more used to the feeling and notion over time, but it will take time.
Anonymous #1
No problem thats what this website is for. I am afraid that that's entirely personal preference and I would feel out of place telling you it's right or wrong to wear them overnight. You will just get more and more used to the feeling and notion over time, but it will take time.
Okay thankyou, I understand where you are coming from.
I have taken the decision of pads only at night.
Thankyou once again for all your reassurance, you have been brilliant.
I wont bother you again I promise lol. X
Anonymous #3
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay thankyou, I understand where you are coming from.
I have taken the decision of pads only at night.
Thankyou once again for all your reassurance, you have been brilliant.
I wont bother you again I promise lol. X
ahah its okay, nicew chatting with you x
Anonymous #1
ahah its okay, nicew chatting with you x
And you too. X
riekeleah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The way I’ve always done it since I started using tampons was propping one leg up onto the toilet seat and putting it in that way. This works great if you’re shorter I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (27)
21.26%
Labour (63)
49.61%
Liberal Democrats (15)
11.81%
Green Party (9)
7.09%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
3.15%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.57%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)