Question for freshers in London and possibly elsewhere Watch

Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So this problem has just kind of reached a critical mass for me.
I want to know if others have had to put up with this too, from other unis in London or maybe in other cities.

I'm talking about this **** here:
Spoiler:
Show

Since about mid-late September I'd been receiving what I thought were texts. They're not actually texts. Even though they show up in your text messages, even though they give you notifications like text messages, they do not originate from a phone number (I've looked) and you can't reply. As they do not come from a particular phone number, you cannot block them that way either.
(If you are having the same issue, if your phone allows you to block texts with certain phrases, block all texts containing a bit.ly link.)

So I'm left speculating as to how and why I am getting these notifications, and I suspect one of the admins of the Imperial Freshers' Whatsapp chat is in on it. I haven't given my phone number to any of these clubs, not even my email or my name. The admin had been posting very similarly-worded promotions in the chat, and when I and a few others complained (I'm definitely not the only one in that chat who's had this problem), they kicked us from the chat. This was in mid-October. On average I still receive these notifs every few days, although they go straight to blocked messages.

I did try emailing Fatsoma, the website where the ticket sales are hosted, asking them to f*** off with their text spam. No response, not even an automated acknowledgement, and no change.

So supposing the chat admin is pulling phone numbers from the group chat and selling them on to clubs/spamming them. This is pretty illegal right? But what's the actual course of action to take against this?
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sinnoh)
So this problem has just kind of reached a critical mass for me.
I want to know if others have had to put up with this too, from other unis in London or maybe in other cities.

I'm talking about this **** here:
Yuck ! If you think thats fallout from Freshers I would take that direct to the IC SU office and ask them up front if they know what is going on. That needs nuking from orbit. Did anyone else you know from IC get the same c**p ?
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's crazy, I've never received anything like this myself -- but I've never joined a WhatsApp group or anything like that. I used Facebook and other social media which didn't really involve giving up my number. I did however experience people with fake accounts adding me to promote / message about club stuff.

I don't know what your best option is. How much help Student Services or the Union could do is beyond me. Maybe scanning Google to find out how to block a message with no sender could be helpful.

Sorry I can't offer that much - this appears genuinely frustrating though, and I think bumping this post to get it some traction is a good place to start. I'm sure others have had similar issues.
Joshua
ساره
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
wow I think you should report it to someone.

I joined my London uni GC but never got these kinds of messages other than in the main one. They kept on getting removed but they continuously joined the GC again spamming it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?