Pharmaceutical Chemistry or Chemistry at Reading

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
How much lab time is there on the Pharma Chem course compared to just Chem?

Which one has a bigger workload?
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm currently a 4th year Chemistry student here at Reading, I'm on the MChem with year in Industry course.

In Chemistry, you typically do 4 hours of labs in first year (an afternoon), a day in 2nd year, and then in your final year it's typically two days when you're working on your project.
Pharmaceutical chemistry would likely be the same in terms of lab time but your practicals would be different and more topical to what you study in pharmaceutical chemistry.

As for workload, there's not a lot of difference. Each year you study 120 credits worth of course content. For pharmaceutical chemistry you study more biological/organic themed courses, whereas with chemistry you'd study a broader variety of topics across all of chemistry.

If you're trying to decide between the courses I'd recommend thinking about what you'd prefer study, what bits of chemistry you like, whether you like biology too, etc. You could also do some research into the topics in the modules - just google these, find some books, etc. as that might help give you a better ideas of the course content to help you decide.

Hope this helps, if there's anything else you'd like to know about Chemistry or Reading uni please don't hesitate to contact me!

Emma
(Student Ambassador and Final Year Chemistry student).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (626)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (782)
42.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (366)
19.71%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (83)
4.47%

Watched Threads