The Student Room Group

Is Law really hard?

So for a few years now, I've been determined to study law at Kingston Uni, and then go on to do a year abroad in California. The aspect of Uni has always really excited me, however, I went to an open day for my back up University, and every time someone asked me what I wanted to do - they looked really shocked and told me I was making a mistake. That night - and I don't know if it's just a coincidence - I had a nightmare about University, and the nightmare was that I had no friends and the workload was quite literally swallowing me whole. Now all of a sudden, my interest in going to Uni has sort of gone down the drain and I'm not sure if my dream was just a hint telling me I won't be able to cope. So my question is aimed at any past / current law students out there. Is law as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Or is it easy to cope when you've gotten to grips with the whole thing?
Original post by SkyRose01
So for a few years now, I've been determined to study law at Kingston Uni, and then go on to do a year abroad in California. The aspect of Uni has always really excited me, however, I went to an open day for my back up University, and every time someone asked me what I wanted to do - they looked really shocked and told me I was making a mistake. That night - and I don't know if it's just a coincidence - I had a nightmare about University, and the nightmare was that I had no friends and the workload was quite literally swallowing me whole. Now all of a sudden, my interest in going to Uni has sort of gone down the drain and I'm not sure if my dream was just a hint telling me I won't be able to cope. So my question is aimed at any past / current law students out there. Is law as hard as everyone makes it out to be? Or is it easy to cope when you've gotten to grips with the whole thing?

Define: 'hard'.

I would say a degree in Mathematics is infinitely harder than one in Law, but that's because I find maths difficult and words and Law relatively straightforward.

Law is 'difficult' in the sense of there is a lot of material you need to assimilate, an awful lot of reading and you need to be able to make fine, nice distinctions between things which on the surface look the same. To be really good at law, particularly at subjects like Tort and Equity requires a fine mind and a good work ethic. It's not a subject for someone who wants an easy life.
From what I've heard, it's easy. But that might only apply to naturally smart and exotic beauties like me.
Original post by Reality Check
Define: 'hard'.

I would say a degree in Mathematics is infinitely harder than one in Law, but that's because I find maths difficult and words and Law relatively straightforward.

Law is 'difficult' in the sense of there is a lot of material you need to assimilate, an awful lot of reading and you need to be able to make fine, nice distinctions between things which on the surface look the same. To be really good at law, particularly at subjects like Tort and Equity requires a fine mind and a good work ethic. It's not a subject for someone who wants an easy life.

You see, I think I’d be able to handle the high amounts of reading, considering I’ve basically been reading one book a week since year 7 & I did very well in my
English Language and Literature exams. I just don’t want to disappoint myself if I can’t actually handle it lol
You see, I think I’d be able to handle the high amounts of reading, considering I’ve basically been reading one book a week since year 7 & I did very well in my
English Language and Literature exams. I just don’t want to disappoint myself if I can’t actually handle it lol

Reading books doesn't necessarily determine intelligence/drive.. my friends don't read at all and got straight A*/A's.
It's about motivation, if you have motivation you can do well no matter what the odds.

I would point out that reading the law is a very different skill to reading for pleasure/reading fiction. It's much more of a technical meaning, where words have very specific meanings and the text itself is far more 'dense' and less 'literary' than you might be used to.

Not trying to put you off, but making you more prepared. Read a couple of cases you can find online to give you a flavour of it. Try the recent Gina Miller et al. case for something very clear and interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending