GYG as a failing but determined Bio Student! Watch

Ella2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi guys,

Here is my second attempt at GYG, this time during my crucial year!

Below are my GCSE grades:
English Language-4
English Literature-4
Maths-5
Biology-6
Chemistry-5
Physics-4
PE-5
Geography-6
RE-5
Dance(Performing Arts)-Distinction*

As I am a Year 13 Student now, I have already taken my AS Levels with the subjects I currently study being A Level Biology, BTEC Levl 3 Extended Certificate in Applied Psychology and BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in IT! Below, I have included my AS Level Results:

Biology-C
Psychology-Merit
IT-Distinction*

And for reference I will also include my A Level predicted grades which are:
Biology-C
Psychology-Distinction
IT-Psychology

Some basic info about myself so you can get to know me! I am a 17 year old girl living in Devon. As you can currently see from my previous results, I have never been one that has academically succeeded although that may be due to not doing lots of revision in comparison to some people due to my nervousness and meltdowns around exam season and assignments! I am also hoping to study Adult Nursing, preferably at University of Gloucestershire.

Thanks for reading, and heres to sticking to GYG this year!
Ella2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Here is my first ACTUAL post within this new thread and I am going to give you an update of how this academic year so far has been!

So since I have started, this year has been a whirlwind for me. I had to adjust to my boyfriend moving away to university and leaving me behind as well as trying to cope with the step up to A Level, learning new content as well as completing coursework assignments for my BTECs!! So, whats the worst problem that I have had academically so far? Well, personally I think Biology so far has been the worst! Last year is was my favourite subject and it is still very much an interest of mine, but the problem is I am FAILING and things are suffering fast. Not only have I had the stress of this, and getting grades of D/Es within the exam question booklets and end of topic tests I have completed, I have also submitted 3 out of many more assignments to come! One of which was my first psychology assignment in which I had wrote almost 6,000 words!! But still I am at a loss and a state of utter confusion with Biology. I understand the content and I don't find the processes and facts hard, yet exam questions I either cannot communicate my knowledge appropriately to get the marks, or I have no idea WHATSOEVER what to write on the page. Oh, how frustrating

But, the stress levels are starting to decrease and I am going to make the most of this breather before everything picks up and my stress levels are higher than the sky again, wish me luck guys!

I will keep you all updated and even potentially upload some of my to do lists, to inspire some of you to get through your own personal to do lists, but also to give you an insight as to how to tackle some of the tasks that I am yet to complete!
Ella2002
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi guys,

I thought I would do a GYG post today to talk about how I have been preparing throughout the week for an end of topic test which I had on Friday.

For reference, the test was on Photosynthesis and Respiration (an A Level topic only).

Firstly, I generated a list of questions which are relatively easy to answer by going through all of my notes on the topics. These questions generally are simple recall questions such as 'Where does take place?' Below I have included a picture as an example of the questions I had generated for these two topics.
Name:  privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication16E87F7C-179B-4287-9E74-8F41472377DFtmpC17D14B9-A967-4.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  305.5 KB The little flashcard you see in this image is a word bank of the keywords, I find this useful when completing exam questions as it helps me to get used to using the correct terminology in my answers.

I also like to complete little warm up activities such as this Venn diagram that my teacher had generated for us, however if there are other topics which overlap, I think its a really great way to establish whats different between the topics and what is the same within the topics.
Name:  privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication16E87F7C-179B-4287-9E74-8F41472377DFtmp645FA8F8-97B2-4.jpeg
Views: 6
Size:  183.2 KB I like using these small activities which aren't too difficult to prepare myself for answering exam questions so I am not just going in cold as these give me a little reminder about areas within the topic. Other 'warm up' activities I think would work well are fill in the gaps and wordsearches!!

Next, I went on to answer some exams questions. A website I like to use is https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/ I find it really useful to be able to get different exam questions (and it's also great for the practical endorsement as they have documents about each practical-although some may differ from the ones that you carry out in your school/college). When completing exam questions, I will also mark them using the mark schemes (also included on Physics and Maths Tutor!) as well as analysing the areas I got incorrect. To analyse these, I use a technique called 'MARCKS'. I wont go into too much detail about it here since a fab StudyTuber called UnJaded Jade has done a video explaining the ins and outs of it however I will give a little overview.
Name:  privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication16E87F7C-179B-4287-9E74-8F41472377DFtmp459653BC-E4A8-4.jpeg
Size:  228.2 KB
When you get an answer incorrect, establish where you lots the mark according to the acronym MARCKS.
M-maths error, was there an error in your calculation?
A-application, was your mistake due to not being able to apply your knowledge appropriately to the scenario in the question?
R-read the question, upon marking the answer do you realise that you misunderstood the question?
C-communication, was your answer correct but you lost marks for not including the correct terminology or not converting your answer in the right way?
K-knowledge, did you not actually know the answer to the question according to the mark scheme?
S-statements, did you not write enough for the amount of marks the question was worth?

These things can be overcome, and upon analysis you are able to see which area you lost the most marks on. To improve, you could practice more maths related questions, complete more exam questions to be able to apply your knowledge, use a highlighter to highlight key points within the question, simply revise more, or use bullet points to structure your answer to ensure you have enough statements written to attain the marks the question is worth.

Here is the link to Jade's video!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxkjjU42h8s

Finally as like a final little piece of revision, I like to create what I call a factsheet. This may seem pointless but i rewrite the notes I have for this topic onto one side of A4 (if I can!). I find these useful for future revision near exam time to quickly read over, as all the information on the topic is in one place!
Name:  privatevarmobileContainersDataApplication16E87F7C-179B-4287-9E74-8F41472377DFtmp4F326595-4032-4.jpeg
Size:  310.8 KB
And depending on the topic, I also use Q&A cards(I am going to do a more in depth post on these!) and a website called https://www.senecalearning.com/!

I hope this post is of some use and that you have some ideas of what to implement into your study routine for end of topic tests (although I am currently failing, I am hoping to see an improvement in my grade by using these techniques together and hopefully they will also work for you)!!

Thanks for reading!!

E x

ilovepolarbears
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.08%
No I don't (62)
46.62%
I work during the holidays (27)
20.3%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed