Nat 5 art and design — questions on doing portraits Watch

K88tie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hello! Basically, I’m currently doing a still life for the expressive unit as our teacher heavily advised up all to not to portraits — but this was a big mistake for me. My artwork has reached a new level of low, and I feel it in my gut that my mark it going to be terrible (nor not what I want it to be). The lessons are in shambles, and our teacher (although who is very nice) just cannot teach well and is too busy dealing the kids who are causing trouble. I would like to change my subject to portrait, but I have a couple questions:- Would I need to take the reference pictures myself, or could I just go onto Pinterest and pick a reference that fits my theme?-how many studies would I need to do before the final piece? Thank you sooo much for any responses — I’m desperate and I know I can do better!
fionawalker
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by K88tie)
Hello! Basically, I’m currently doing a still life for the expressive unit as our teacher heavily advised up all to not to portraits — but this was a big mistake for me. My artwork has reached a new level of low, and I feel it in my gut that my mark it going to be terrible (nor not what I want it to be). The lessons are in shambles, and our teacher (although who is very nice) just cannot teach well and is too busy dealing the kids who are causing trouble. I would like to change my subject to portrait, but I have a couple questions:- Would I need to take the reference pictures myself, or could I just go onto Pinterest and pick a reference that fits my theme?-how many studies would I need to do before the final piece? Thank you sooo much for any responses — I’m desperate and I know I can do better!
It's up to you what subject you choose so if you want to do portrait go for it. I did portrait for Nat 5 and Higher, it just depends what you're most comfortable doing. In regards to your question, you would need to take the images yourself, the SQA doesn't accept images taken off the internet, but you don't need to be too extra about it, just take some picture of your friends or some pictures of you in your room. It depends what size your pieces are but I would recommend doing around 5 or 6. Do a couple of larger studies before your final outcome and just fill the rest of the space with small, sketchy studies.
K88tie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by fionawalker)
It's up to you what subject you choose so if you want to do portrait go for it. I did portrait for Nat 5 and Higher, it just depends what you're most comfortable doing. In regards to your question, you would need to take the images yourself, the SQA doesn't accept images taken off the internet, but you don't need to be too extra about it, just take some picture of your friends or some pictures of you in your room. It depends what size your pieces are but I would recommend doing around 5 or 6. Do a couple of larger studies before your final outcome and just fill the rest of the space with small, sketchy studies.
Ah, I see. Thank you sooooo much for the response — you’re a life saver
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (172)
19.03%
Labour (463)
51.22%
Liberal Democrats (120)
13.27%
Green Party (53)
5.86%
Brexit Party (13)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.44%
SNP (15)
1.66%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.44%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)