annaeban
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

I'm a year 12 student and I am definitely going to apply for Law at Oxbridge (currently leaning towards Oxford). I'd really appreciate it if anybody had some tips for how to improve my chances of getting in.

About me:
GCSE's - 999999988
Don't have A level predictions yet but will be aiming for A*A*A*
EPQ on law - will probably get an A*
Grammar school - not private but a very good school
Extracurricuals: Gold Dofe, various volunteering positions (National trust, teaching drama, working with local political party), drama and musical theatre, orchestra and band, I am running my own Amnesty International (human rights activism) club, debate club, House Captain last year (hoping to be Sixth form President or VP next year), Digital leader, took part in an Erasmus+ project (international youth project).

I'm working on entries to some essay competitions, such as the Supreme Court one currently. I've applied to several work experience schemes but don't have anything yet. I applied for the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference and think I have a good chance (as it's first come first served). I intent to visit a court soon. I've been reading all the books generally recommended for a law application eg 'The Rule of Law' and have done several MOOC's.

I'm desperate to get into a really good law school, so please, give me any advice you have!

Thank you
minim236
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You'll fit brilliantly with those qualitifications! Just make sure you keep on working incredibly hard and go for it!
my_man_123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have applied for Law at Oxford, not received an interview so far but hopefully, I do.

I suggest you revise for the LNAT in the Summer of 2020 when you will not be doing much work and then do it in early September so you can get it out of the way before coursework deadlines and other school work at the start of Year 13. The LNAT is vitally important so be sure to smash it.

I suggest you read books around law such as Bingham's Rule of Law and Letters to a Law Student (not by Bingham) which are useful and you could mention in a personal statement. Law essay writing competitions are also great, remember you will not be able to talk about a majority of what you have done since you are so limited in words for your PS so make sure you only do relevant things. If you do Politics, I suggest trying for a House of Lords and House of Commons work experience(separate applications), I did HOL and found it great and could talk about it on my PS.

I also applied to UCL, LSE, KCL, and Nottingham so mostly London unis and all that require LNAT. Other good unis are Warwick for insurance at AAA and requires no LNAT, Bristol and Durham which are equal to KCL if not better for Law if you are not a fan of London.
annaeban
Rep:
?
(Original post by my_man_123)
I have applied for Law at Oxford, not received an interview so far but hopefully, I do.

I suggest you revise for the LNAT in the Summer of 2020 when you will not be doing much work and then do it in early September so you can get it out of the way before coursework deadlines and other school work at the start of Year 13. The LNAT is vitally important so be sure to smash it.

I suggest you read books around law such as Bingham's Rule of Law and Letters to a Law Student (not by Bingham) which are useful and you could mention in a personal statement. Law essay writing competitions are also great, remember you will not be able to talk about a majority of what you have done since you are so limited in words for your PS so make sure you only do relevant things. If you do Politics, I suggest trying for a House of Lords and House of Commons work experience(separate applications), I did HOL and found it great and could talk about it on my PS.

I also applied to UCL, LSE, KCL, and Nottingham so mostly London unis and all that require LNAT. Other good unis are Warwick for insurance at AAA and requires no LNAT, Bristol and Durham which are equal to KCL if not better for Law if you are not a fan of London.
Thank you, that's really helpful! Good luck with your application.
Artical2k9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by annaeban)
Hi,

I'm a year 12 student and I am definitely going to apply for Law at Oxbridge (currently leaning towards Oxford). I'd really appreciate it if anybody had some tips for how to improve my chances of getting in.

About me:
GCSE's - 999999988
Don't have A level predictions yet but will be aiming for A*A*A*
EPQ on law - will probably get an A*
Grammar school - not private but a very good school
Extracurricuals: Gold Dofe, various volunteering positions (National trust, teaching drama, working with local political party), drama and musical theatre, orchestra and band, I am running my own Amnesty International (human rights activism) club, debate club, House Captain last year (hoping to be Sixth form President or VP next year), Digital leader, took part in an Erasmus+ project (international youth project).

I'm working on entries to some essay competitions, such as the Supreme Court one currently. I've applied to several work experience schemes but don't have anything yet. I applied for the Cambridge Sixth Form Law Conference and think I have a good chance (as it's first come first served). I intent to visit a court soon. I've been reading all the books generally recommended for a law application eg 'The Rule of Law' and have done several MOOC's.

I'm desperate to get into a really good law school, so please, give me any advice you have!

Thank you
Hiya,
Agree with my_man_123 with the LNAT preparation and reading books. The LNAT preparation is very important as I was stressed when taking mine and only had 4 hours sleep the night before.
I also suggest reading law books about certain areas you enjoy. It will make you stand out as it will show in your personal statement what makes law interesting for you. E.g I read Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel because the ethical and moral side of the law interested me. Also keeping tabs on news articles for law and court cases. I read about the appeal case of Sally Challen which allowed for a new type of coercive control to be used for diminished responsibility.
Good luck for next year and experiencing the dreaded wait for replies.
annaeban
Rep:
?
(Original post by Artical2k9)
Hiya,
Agree with my_man_123 with the LNAT preparation and reading books. The LNAT preparation is very important as I was stressed when taking mine and only had 4 hours sleep the night before.
I also suggest reading law books about certain areas you enjoy. It will make you stand out as it will show in your personal statement what makes law interesting for you. E.g I read Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel because the ethical and moral side of the law interested me. Also keeping tabs on news articles for law and court cases. I read about the appeal case of Sally Challen which allowed for a new type of coercive control to be used for diminished responsibility.
Good luck for next year and experiencing the dreaded wait for replies.
Thank you for your response! That book sounds really interesting too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (398)
56.29%
I don't have everything I need (309)
43.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed