The Student Room Group

Should the school day be extended to 8hrs? PLEASE READ MESSAGE BELOW

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No. And no homework.
Original post by DJKL
I suspect universities are already fed up with students who have difficulty with independent study and who are ill equipped for university. I can see an argument for homework sessions post school, boarding schools often have such set aside periods, but really it ought to be optional and homework not extra teaching ought to be done in these periods.

I agree. Either interventions (when teachers willingly volunteer) for students who are behind, or optional homework sessions which could act like a study group with no teacher.
Original post by Kryptonitekid43
I had the same thing at school over A levels. There was no such thing as a homework timetable. Every teacher would set a piece of work everyday and I had 7 teachers total whom (with the exception of 2 who set no homework except for 1-2 massive essays each term) I had to balance work between. Yeah it was incredibly difficult at times but ultimately made me a better student so I think the experience was worth it. As I write this it’s important to say I’ve never really had much of an interest in the social scene; so that’s an added advantage that separated me from a lot of other students.

Just out of curiosity, did you take 3 or 4 subjects?
Reply 23
I had the same thing at school over A levels. There was no such thing as a homework timetable. Every teacher would set a piece of work everyday and I had 7 teachers total whom (with the exception of 2 who set no homework except for 1-2 massive essays each term) I had to balance work between. Yeah it was incredibly difficult at times but ultimately made me a better student so I think the experience was worth it. As I write this it’s important to say I’ve never really had much of an interest in the social scene; so that’s an added advantage that separated me from a lot of other students.

And great training for university when the coursework seems to often build up into waves all due in at the same time, if time is not well managed it can swamp (and stress) the student, so early experience in juggling work and not procrastinating should benefit students in the long run.
Original post by 1st superstar
What's you opinions guys? Before you attack me READ below
Edit: give students the option to go home early with HW if they wish...
I personally think that the school should be extended to 8hr BUT ONLY if it means that when students come home they don't have a single bit of homework to do when they come home (other than the odd bit of revision here and there (and work students didn't complete in lesson)) . I'd much rather have this than have HW (and no I don't want the school to remain as 6hrs with no HW please also note that I am against an 8hr school day under ALL OTHER CIRCUMSTANCES other if it means you are not being given HW/extra work to do at home). Also students should obviously still be allowed to HW and extra work if they choose to but teacher for most HWs they set would optional.

I hear the argument of "students and teachers want to get home ASAP" or "it burns out students" alot and my instant response is: what so that they can go home and do more work? What difference does make if you stay at school for only 6hr to do more HW at home vs staying at school for 8hr knowing you'll be able to COMPLETELY relax when you get home no HW, no revision so that you spend home-time with your family (just like in the real world of work for most jobs). Surely 8hrs of school for no HW is better.I know teachers who are in school from 8am-6pm EVERYDAY because of meetings, being a deputy head teacher etc. and still have to do more work to when they come home... (YIKES) 😳 Plus surely you've stayed after school once during a term for a club, detention, helping around the school, to speak to a teacher etc

For HW you'll never know how long it will take for you for to finish sometimes you could be staying up until midnight to finish your assignment(s) why do that when it's far better to simply stay 2hrs longer in school... (and no I can't put a 45mins timer and be like "let me do as much as can in that amount of time". (in my school they expect you to complete ALL of your HW IN FULL no matter how it takes whether that takes 30 mins or 6hrs great for SEND kids... 😒😑). I never understood this as it CAN automatically punish a student with a learning disability let's say you have to do a 40 mark History essay for your A-levels or you simply practice you exam timing for student for students A it could take them 45 minutes but then student B it could take them 2 hours to produce the same amount of work as student A and complete the HW... Hmmm HUGE PROBLEM tbh I am 100% for HW but rather be in school for 8-9hrs so that I don't have to do any work when I get home rather than a "short school day" to then have HW. Plus when set I my self a timer to do HW it makes the HW far less tedious cause when that timer is done it's done and I stop writing/typing no matter how much I do without getting distracted. Get distracted?? ADD more minutes to the timer/pause it

I also think that doing this will motivate students to work hard actually listen to their teachers in school as KNOW that when it's 4-5pm that's it they are COMPLETELY done working for the day (sorry for the repetition) and yay no work on the weekend or during the school holidays (ok ok maybe a little to decent during the school holidays) why do you think that some students put in more effort their part-time job compared to school...

So if you made it this far what the school day look like
Ok so for Primary school it would be a regular 6hr school day with no HW (maybe 4 hrs for KS1 and 6hrs for KS2) and there would be 2-3 breaks during the school day

KS3: 7hr school day and during the 6th/7th last period they would learn about life skills, catch up on incompleted/missed class work (there would be 2 breaks in total during the school day adding up 2hrs?)

KS4-KS5 8hr school day lessons as normal 6th/7th period students catch up on incompleted/missed class work (they stay with the teacher they had last lesson or need to walk with the teacher to the appropriate one) and the top achieving students go to advanced classes during this period. During 7th/8th/last period the students would be learning life skills (they're would be 2-3 breaks during the school day)

Uni: 8-9 hrs of school maybe?
(School for all of the above would start no earlier than 8am and start no later than 9am)

Again this is only my opinion and I'd much rather be doing this sorry if I made any mistakes will edit later

Won't sound like much more than a current school day but once you reach A-LEVEL/UNI 3 hours a day will seem like a lifetime. 6 hours is way too long as it is, should be 4 at most.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bismuth83
Just out of curiosity, did you take 3 or 4 subjects?

I took 3, all essay based though so the work load was heavy. For one of them, there was only me and 1 other pupil so we were given 3 teachers and a lot of work as a result.
I took 3, all essay based though so the work load was heavy. For one of them, there was only me and 1 other pupil so we were given 3 teachers and a lot of work as a result.

wow sounds intense
Original post by Bismuth83
wow sounds intense

Certainly was but all worked out in the end and while I’m gapping atm I know Uni in terms of managing the workload is gonna be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending