Struggling Postgraduate as a Mature Student Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hey guys,

Serious talk, so I'm ex-armed forces, and left the service after about 6-7 years, and after that I decided to see if I could get in on a degree program to help me switch careers.

I was successful and now I'm taking a masters at a prestigious university in the UK, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should even be here.

The maths requirement is very, very high, most of the other students are chinese maths grads, and I feel very out of place. In fact I'm very suprised so far that I was even accepted onto the course.

I have a 1st class BSc from when I attended university in 2012 in CompSci, from a decent uni, and I'm not afraid of working hard either; I had a technical job in the service and did well, but this course has been like running into a brick wall. A thorough grasp of Calculus is a pre-requisite and they should know from my application that it's been about 10 years since I touched it at A-level, and I never had a heads up or even a reading list.

We've an exam soon that I'm expecting to get close to zero in. Above all, I'm pretty lonely compared to the service. I've actually put in a request to go on another tour, and indications are positive they'd have me back in a flash.

I suppose I'm looking for advice? I came back to civilian life with this good course in the bag and really enthusiastic for the future, and so far everythings been rubbish, lonely and impossibly difficult for me. Do you think I should can this off and take my service life back? Stay the course? Has anyone else had this experience returning to education and finding it much harder than they remembered?
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey guys,

Serious talk, so I'm ex-armed forces, and left the service after about 6-7 years, and after that I decided to see if I could get in on a degree program to help me switch careers.

I was successful and now I'm taking a masters at a prestigious university in the UK, but I'm really starting to wonder if I should even be here.

The maths requirement is very, very high, most of the other students are chinese maths grads, and I feel very out of place. In fact I'm very suprised so far that I was even accepted onto the course.

I have a 1st class BSc from when I attended university in 2012 in CompSci, from a decent uni, and I'm not afraid of working hard either; I had a technical job in the service and did well, but this course has been like running into a brick wall. A thorough grasp of Calculus is a pre-requisite and they should know from my application that it's been about 10 years since I touched it at A-level, and I never had a heads up or even a reading list.

We've an exam soon that I'm expecting to get close to zero in. Above all, I'm pretty lonely compared to the service. I've actually put in a request to go on another tour, and indications are positive they'd have me back in a flash.

I suppose I'm looking for advice? I came back to civilian life with this good course in the bag and really enthusiastic for the future, and so far everythings been rubbish, lonely and impossibly difficult for me. Do you think I should can this off and take my service life back? Stay the course? Has anyone else had this experience returning to education and finding it much harder than they remembered?
If you want to pm, or open a private thread in CV Help, we can talk more specifically. I've been through the ex-mil to university route and might be able to help.
steamed-hams
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I am fairly similar situation am post grad and on a course at a prestigious uni which am out of my depth in. The thought of having to stick it out until 30 August is pretty daunting. I'm in a good city and thinking about quitting and getting a job here. For me I'm gonna stick it out until end of semester then see what results are and sit down with tutor.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (282)
47%
No (69)
11.5%
I'm not old enough (249)
41.5%

Watched Threads