The Student Room Group

I'm a little disappointed by my GCSE grades..

I sat my GCSE's way back in 2018. I came out with :7 in ICT , English literature and religious studies ,6 in geography ,5 in maths and French,8/7 in science, and 9 in English language .People on TSR are elitist, but when I compare myself to my classmates I have above average GCSE grades. For some reason I am still disappointed in them. What should I do? I've heard Universities don't pay attention to them but I still feel embarrassed about my grades.I get frustrated whenever I see or think about my grades because I know that if I had put all of my effort in my grades would be higher.Do you think I should resit everything I have plenty of time - I'm taking a gap year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by safia.2002
I sat my GCSE's way back in 2018. I came out with :7 in ICT , English literature and religious studies ,6 in geography ,5 in maths and French,8/7 in science, and 9 in English language .People on TSR are elitist, but when I compare myself to my classmates I have above average GCSE grades. For some reason I am still disappointed in them. What should I do? I've heard Universities don't pay attention to them but I still feel embarrassed about my grades.I get frustrated whenever I see or think about my grades because I know that if I had put all of my effort in my grades would be higher.Do you think I should resit everything I have plenty of time - I'm taking a gap year.

Your GCSE grades are amazing!!!!!
Re sitting definitely depends on what you want to do at uni and whether you have or haven’t met the entry requirements
Well done on doing above average compared to your classmates, especially for English Lang! If you’re planning on taking a gap year and applying then, then I’d say focus on your current post-GCSE qualifications - unis will care about those results a lot more than your GCSE grades. Of course, if they still bother you then then you can resit them if you like, but remember that sitting exams costs money so that’s something you’d have to keep in mind
personally, i’d be well pleased with those grades! you’ve done great! don’t dishearten yourself! :frown:
ultimately, it depends on what career route you would like to pursue, if you want to take a course at uni that you feel you haven’t done as well in, then retake the gcse if you feel like that’s the right thing for you. resitting everything probably isn’t necessary, you’ve done so well, so be proud :smile:
Original post by adviceisallineed
Your GCSE grades are amazing!!!!!
Re sitting definitely depends on what you want to do at uni and whether you have or haven’t met the entry requirements

Well I am going to resit maths this year anyway. Honestly there's no point in resitting - I missed my chance and don't you think it's a little weird sitting everything all over again ?
Well I am going to resit maths this year anyway. Honestly there's no point in resitting - I missed my chance and don't you think it's a little weird sitting everything all over again ?

I won’t say it’s weird, but like only re sit if you didn’t meet the entry requirement for the uni course you want to do or the A level course
I sat my GCSE's way back in 2018. I came out with :7 in ICT , English literature and religious studies ,6 in geography ,5 in maths and French,8/7 in science, and 9 in English language .People on TSR are elitist, but when I compare myself to my classmates I have above average GCSE grades. For some reason I am still disappointed in them. What should I do? I've heard Universities don't pay attention to them but I still feel embarrassed about my grades.I get frustrated whenever I see or think about my grades because I know that if I had put all of my effort in my grades would be higher.Do you think I should resit everything I have plenty of time - I'm taking a gap year.stop

U need to just stop it right now
U did good so stop moaning.
I think as soon as I saw an 8
I am like go AWAYYYYY

This is a little bit tasteless, don't you think? How do you think candidates who got predominantly 4s and 5s would feel reading this. I'm not saying you don't have a right to feel like this, but it does make you come across as a bit silly.

Sorry.
Original post by Reality Check
This is a little bit tasteless, don't you think? How do you think candidates who got predominantly 4s and 5s would feel reading this. I'm not saying you don't have a right to feel like this, but it does make you come across as a bit silly.

Sorry.

I thought that at the start because I got
1 - 3
3 - 4s
3 - 5s

But then I was like she might just be worried so yeah lol
Original post by Reality Check

Sorry.

No it's fine. But I would've liked a few more 8's and 9's . People with grades 5's and 4's need to work hard or resit - just saying.4's and 5's might look great for them and yeah If you're going to apply to a rubbish university. I posted this because on TSR most of the people have like 10 9's etc. and it makes me feel bad because these are the people I'm competing with .
No it's fine. But I would've liked a few more 8's and 9's . People with grades 5's and 4's need to work hard or resit - just saying.4's and 5's might look great for them and yeah If you're going to apply to a rubbish university. I posted this because on TSR most of the people have like 10 9's etc. and it makes me feel bad because these are the people I'm competing with .

Honestly - this is a TSR thing. You are comparing yourself to an illusion. Your grades are excellent, and in the top percentile of marks. This TSR students have 12 or 13 grade 9s is actually nonsense. Very often it's just one-upmanship from insecure students.

Please don't use TSR to compare your academic results. It's a really toxic place for that. Celebrate your achievements. :smile:
i would be v happy with those grades
Original post by adviceisallineed
I thought that at the start because I got
1 - 3
3 - 4s
3 - 5s

But then I was like she might just be worried so yeah lol

I wouldn't be allowed in the house if I got those grades.
How do you know if a uni is rubbish if you haven't even been there. Every Uni has ADVANTAGE and DISADVANTAGE.
you got 1 9, 1 8, 4 7's 1 6, 2 5's very good:smile:

Why didn't you study hard then?
Original post by black tea

true, OP you just played on yourself there...

Original post by Rolo1234
true, OP you just played on yourself there...

HAHAHAH

I tried my best ..I don't want to make excuses or anything but the main reason why I got 2 5's is because they put me in for foundation maths and french. I did Spanish throughout primary and secondary so totally not my fault - how am i supposed to learn a new language in a year? And Im lucky I passed maths . I know people from my class who are resitting for the 3/4 time this year.Our class was terrible - people crawling on the floor and supply teachers every single day . I never had a proper maths lesson since year 9.
I tried my best ..I don't want to make excuses or anything but the main reason why I got 2 5's is because they put me in for foundation maths and french. I did Spanish throughout primary and secondary so totally not my fault - how am i supposed to learn a new language in a year? And Im lucky I passed maths . I know people from my class who are resitting for the 3/4 time this year.Our class was terrible - people crawling on the floor and supply teachers every single day . I never had a proper maths lesson since year 9.

So you tried your best but the people getting 4s and 5s didn't and should have tried harder? Diddums

Quick Reply

Latest