The Student Room Group

Are you for or against school uniform?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gingerjayy
Now that I'm in sixth form, I really regret how I always complained about the uniform. As someone who doesn't own many clothes (due to spending all my money on games and food), I now feel kinda anxious revolving through the same few outfits every week as I constantly feel judged (even though part of me is aware that no one cares). Uniforms are comfy and blazers usually have a convenient amount of pockets. Personally, I'd like it if my sixth form also enforced the lower school's uniform as I really miss wearing it.

So you want everyone else to suffer just because you're too insecure about yourself to wear what you want? And if you really "miss wearing it" there's nothing stopping you from wearing a uniform to college (unless your college doesn't allow students to wear school uniforms).
Original post by Tmoulti89
So you want everyone else to suffer just because you're too insecure about yourself to wear what you want? And if you really "miss wearing it" there's nothing stopping you from wearing a uniform to college (unless your college doesn't allow students to wear school uniforms).

You do have a point, I get what you're saying! It's just something me and some friends have talked about and my personal preference is that uniforms are better. However, I wouldn't want to force that on others, especially considering my sixth form's current uniform regulations barely give us much freedom as it is. This is just a hypothetical want of mine - I'd also be too anxious to rock up to sixth form in the old uniform by myself anyway. I still look 15, I don't need to give people further reasons to question if I'm actually 18 or not :-(
Original post by Tmoulti89
Wow, so the main reason for people here in support of school uniforms is because of bullying? How about harden the **** up and quit being a bunch of wimps? It's pathetic that people can actually be so weak minded that they let the fear of being judged/mocked by other delinquents dictate what they decide to wear or not. Why not actually fight back and do something about the bullying, instead of hoping that something as petty as everyone wearing school uniforms is going to save you? No wonder bullying is so common, if people actually think like this.

XX
(edited 3 years ago)
Now that I'm in sixth form, I really regret how I always complained about the uniform. As someone who doesn't own many clothes (due to spending all my money on games and food), I now feel kinda anxious revolving through the same few outfits every week as I constantly feel judged (even though part of me is aware that no one cares). Uniforms are comfy and blazers usually have a convenient amount of pockets. Personally, I'd like it if my sixth form also enforced the lower school's uniform as I really miss wearing it.

have u wore it since finnishing?
I did not expect so much support for uniform.
Original post by barnetlad
I did not expect so much support for uniform.

Are you for or against it?
Original post by 1st superstar
Are you for or against it?

In favour for secondary school, providing it is simple, not just from one supplier, and when it comes to PE kit, is reasonable in size and shape (no gym knickers or speedos, for example).
It's a non issue either way.

One of those issues people like to agonise about but has very little impact on Education.
uniform tho must not be a polo shirt with a silly badge on it. that isn't real uniform. it must include a school tie tied properly and a school blazer with the school badge. polo shirt is not proper school uniform.
Original post by 1st superstar
Sickening comment heard if depression and anxiety?? Ever suicidal thoughts before (because I sure have suicidal thoughts, daily), ever had to wonder when your next meal was?? PLEASE DON'T EVER TELL ME TO TOUGHEN THE HECK UP!!
EDIT: never had depression or anxiety and had to wonder when my next meal was once out of my entire life so far

I don't undestand what you're trying to say. Anyway, my point was that having students wear school uniforms doesn't magically make bullying go away. People like that are just trying to blame anything they can on why they're being bullied, but it doesn't matter why. If someone really wants to stop bullying, they need to stand up for themselves. Bullies are just a bunch of cowardly losers, and when someone fights back against them they always wilt.
day two of my new uniform and its horrible. I hate this school uniform. I wish I could wear my school tie and blazer rather than a horrible polo shirt
anyone think I should just wear the shirt and tie rather than the official school uniform
@Tmoulti89 I am just saying that some people may have mental health issues and telling them to toughen the heck up isn't the solution to their problem. No wonder why the UK doesn't give a damn about mental health disorders because we have people like you (and my relatives) who are so oblivious to them existing in the first place
(edited 3 years ago)
Personally, I am for school uniform. This is because it removes the need to judge children who can't afford expensive or 'trendy' clothes. So, it practically minimises the need to pick on the 'poor kids'.
Original post by RedAli23
Personally, I am for school uniform. This is because it removes the need to judge children who can't afford expensive or 'trendy' clothes. So, it practically minimises the need to pick on the 'poor kids'.

do you think it should be shirt and tie with a blazer or just a school polo shirt
Original post by BreezyM
the issue is that from secondary onwards is where people become more judgemental. say someone is poor and doesnt have enough money to buy the next jordans or vans etc it leads to seperation of groups and judgement in schools and that leads to low self esteem and mental health issues. on top of that uniform provides a sense of discipline and prepares you for the real world where you most probably will have to dress smartly or even wear a uniform. about uniform being uncomfortable can you provide an example please?

To combat this issue is the fact that I suggested a workwear uniform code, business casual at a minimum. This teaches the exact discipline needed for life in work, and isn’t influenced by trends as they would be inappropriate for this code. I understand that it can lead to separation and judgement, the key point in why we should have uniforms, but I probably have a clouded viewpoint of this as I go to a small school with very few, if any, issues around this. For it being uncomfortable, we have to wear blazers and jumpers all the way through the year, making it incredibly uncomfortable in summer. And as for self esteem, in my school, uniform has actually been the cause of these issues rather than the preventer. For example, many people feel uncomfortable being seen in such a uniform, since students at the neighbouring school can judge simply for the fact they are wearing it (we are a grammar and they’re an academy) and also, many personally feel uncomfortable with the uniform itself, but of course, this may be limited to very few schools.
Original post by Simon0276
what do you mean by informal?? tie n blazer??

i.e. business casual. Just as long as all students have the option as to what variation of this to wear. Generally, yes.
do you think it should be shirt and tie with a blazer or just a school polo shirt

Lmao you keep asking the same question (not that it bothers me)
anyone think I should just wear the shirt and tie rather than the official school uniform

I mean IDK what will they do?? try it but don't blame me if you get a detention :rofl:
Original post by RedAli23

What freaking difference would it make? These kids would have been picked on anyway. That's a very stupid reason to support school uniforms.

Quick Reply