Poll: Do you agree with this amendment?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (15)
42.86%
On the contrary, nay (7)
20%
Abstain. (13)
37.14%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
VA233 - Motions of No Confidence Amendment
Proposed by: CatusStarbright (Deputy Speaker, Independent)
Seconded by: Andrew97 (Speaker), Glaz (Labour), 04MR17 (Liberal Democrats), TheRadishPrince (Liberal Democrats)

This House would amend the Constitution as follows:

Amend the section entitled ‘Motions of No Confidence’ from:

10.1.can be called in:
10.1.1.The Speaker
10.1.2.The Deputy Speaker(s)
10.1.3.The Government
10.1.4.Party Leaders
10.2.remove the subject in question and except in the case of a vote of a government losing a motion of no confidence, shall lead to a new election. In the case of a new Speakership election following a motion of no confidence, it is run by a Deputy Speaker who is not running, or failing that a supermoderator or administrator.
10.3 when successfully called in the government will disband the current government and allow parties 7 days to propose a coalition government. If the VoNC was called in a coalition government, that same coalition government may not reform for the rest of that term.
10.4 A motion of no confidence can be called in The Speaker, The Deputy Speaker(s) or The Government at any time, unless:—
10.4.1 less than two weeks have passed since the previous Motion of No Confidence in that position ended; or
10.4.2 the position has been filled for a period of less than two weeks;
10.5. Can be submitted by:—
10.5.1. an MP when seconded by 4 other MPs, at least one of whom must be from a different party, who must all be named on the motion;
10.5.2. the requirement for the motion to be seconded by a member of another party shall be waived if there is only a single party not part of the government;
10.6 the form of motions shall be:—
10.6.1 in the government, "That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government.";
10.6.2 in the Speaker, "That this House has no confidence in The Speaker.";
10.6.3 in the Deputy Speaker(s), "That this House has no confidence in the Deputy Speaker(s).";
10.6.4 the statement may be followed by an explanation of the reasons so as to act as an opening statement;
10.7 When a valid Motion of No Confidence in the Government, the Speaker, or the Deputy Speaker(s) is submitted to the Speaker, the Speaker shall begin the process of the motion as part of the first TSR Model House of Commons Update after the submission of the motion.

To:

10.1. can be called in:
10.1.1. The Speaker
10.1.2. The Deputy Speaker(s)
10.1.3. The Government
10.1.4. Party Leaders
10.2. remove the subject in question and, except in the case of a vote of a government losing a motion of no confidence, shall lead to a new election. In the case of a new Speakership election following a motion of no confidence, it is run by a Deputy Speaker who is not running, or failing that a supermoderator or administrator.
10.3. when successfully called in the government will disband the current government and allow parties 7 days to propose a coalition government. If the Motion of No Confidence was called in a coalition government, that same coalition government may not reform for the rest of that term.
10.4. A motion of no confidence can be called in the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker(s) or the Government at any time, unless:—
10.4.1. less than two weeks have passed since the previous Motion of No Confidence in that position ended; or
10.4.2. the position has been filled for a period of less than two weeks.
10.5. can be submitted by:—
10.5.1. an MP when seconded by 4 other MPs, at least one of whom must be from a different party, who must all be named on the motion.
10.5.2. the requirement for the Motion of No Confidence to be seconded by a member of another party shall be waived if there is only a single party not part of the government.
10.6. the form of motions shall be:—
10.6.1. in the Government, "This House has no confidence in Her Majesty's Government.";
10.6.2. in the Speaker, "This House has no confidence in the Speaker.";
10.6.3. in the Deputy Speaker(s), "This House has no confidence in the Deputy Speaker(s).";
10.6.4 the statement may be followed by an explanation of the reasons so as to act as an opening statement.
10.7. When a valid Motion of No Confidence in the Government, the Speaker, or the Deputy Speaker(s) is submitted to the Speaker (or Deputy Speaker in the case of a motion of no confidence in the Speaker), the Speaker (or Deputy Speaker) shall post the motion in time for its inclusion in the first TSR Model House of Commons Update after the submission of the motion.

This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:

Amend the section entitled ‘Motions of No Confidence’ from:

Motions of No Confidence against the Government
1) A Motion of no confidence can be called against the Government at any point during a term of governance unless the government was formed less than two weeks prior to the motion, or less than two weeks have passed since the last motion of no confidence was called against the government. The person calling the vote must be an MP of any party.
2) The Speaker must be notified by one person and get at least 4 other MPs to second the motion, at least one of whom must be from another party unless only a single party is not part of the government.
3) This will automatically start a 3 day discussion where both sides get to argue their points; the Speaker will start a thread and post the reasons for the motion of no confidence being called.
4) After the 3 day discussion a 4 day poll will be opened in the Division Lobby so that all MPs can have a vote. The poll will be a private poll only showing the results when it has ended.
5) If the result of the poll is in favour of the motion of no confidence then a period of 7 days shall be allowed for other parties to form a new government (using all the usual regulations for it).
6) If the result of the poll does not favour the motion of no confidence then usual business will resume in the House of Commons.

Motions of No Confidence against a Party Leader
1) A Motion of Confidence can be called against a Party Leader at any point, this can be done by any member of the party).
2) Parties can run Motions of No Confidence themselves or request the Speaker to run them.
3) Motions of No Confidence require someone to second them. This can be any member of the party.
4) Where parties do not already have a procedure in place, Motions of No Confidence will proceed as follows: the returning officer will create a thread with the reasons for the motion of no confidence and add a poll; this poll will be open for 4 days and will decide the future of the Party Leader. The poll will be a secret poll that will only display the results when it ends.
5) If the vote goes in favour of the motion of no confidence, the Party Leader will be removed from power and the Deputy Leader will assume the position of Acting Leader. The returning officer will then run a party leadership election.

Motion of no Confidence against the Speaker / Deputy Speaker
1) A Motion of No Confidence can be called against the Speaker or Deputy Speaker(s) at any point during their speakership unless they have held the position for less than two weeks, or less than two weeks have passed since the last motion of no confidence was submitted against the Speaker/Deputy Speaker(s). The person submitting the motion must be an MP of any party.
2)The Speaker must be notified by one person and get at least 4 other MPs to second the motion, at least one of whom must be from another party.
3) The person proposing the Motion of No Confidence must then post a thread in the House of Commons stating the reasons why they are calling a Motion of No Confidence in the Speaker.
4) The speaker will send a PM to all MPs to inform them of the Motion of No Confidence.
5) There will be a period of 3 - 4 days where the members of the House of Commons can ask questions to both the speaker and person calling the Motion of No Confidence.
6) If the speaker does not want to deal with the Motion of No Confidence they can appoint a Moderator to deal with the Motion of No Confidence. If they do want to deal with the Motion of No Confidence then they are allowed to set up the poll and oversee everything.
7) After the debating has finished the Speaker/appointed moderator will set up a poll lasting 4 days in the Division Lobby where the MPs will get a vote on the future of the Speaker.
8) The Poll will be a private poll so the results are not revealed until the poll ends.
9) If the results are in the favour of the Motion of No Confidence, the Speaker will automatically start a Speaker election which either they can run, or the appointed moderator will oversee. Once the new Speaker is found the old Speaker will be removed from power.
10) If the results are not in favour of the Motion of No Confidence then the Speaker will return to their duties but would be expected to make a formal apology to the house.

To:

Motions of No Confidence against the Government
1) A motion of no confidence can be called against the Government at any point during a term of governance, subject to the conditions outlined in the Constitution.
2) The Speaker will post the Motion of No Confidence and allow a 3-day discussion where both sides may argue their side.
3) After the 3-day discussion a 4-day private poll will be opened in the Division Lobby to be voted on by all MPs.
4) If the result of the poll is in favour of the Motion of No Confidence, then a period of 7 days shall be allowed for other parties to form a new government (following the usual coalition formation procedures).
5) If the result of the poll does not favour the Motion of No Confidence then usual business will resume in the House of Commons.
6) The result is determined by a simple majority.

Motions of No Confidence against a Party Leader
1) A motion of no confidence can be called against a Party Leader by any member of the party, seconded by at least one other party member.
2) Parties can run motions of no confidence themselves or request the Speaker to run them.
3) Parties may have their own procedures for motions of no confidence, but may not contradict clause 1 this section. Where this is the case then clause 4 of this section is applicable.
4) Where parties do not already have their own procedure in place, motions of no confidence will proceed as follows: the returning officer will create a thread with the reasons for the Motion of No Confidence and add a 4-day private poll to decide the future of the Party Leader.
5) If the result of the poll is in favour of the Motion of No Confidence, the Party Leader will be removed from power and the Deputy Leader will assume the position of Acting Leader. The returning officer will then run a party leadership election.
6) Clause 4 of this section is also applicable where the Speaker deems the terms of the party motions of no confidence procedure as unduly arduous, i.e. the restrictions are such that calling a motion of no confidence in the Party Leader is so difficult as to be almost impossible.
7) The result is determined by a simple majority.

Motion of no Confidence against the Speaker / Deputy Speaker
1) A motion of no confidence can be called against the Speaker or Deputy Speaker(s) at any point, subject to the conditions outlined in the Constitution.
2) The person proposing the Motion of No Confidence must then submit the motion to the Speaker (if against the Deputy Speaker) or the Deputy Speaker (if against the Speaker).
3) The Speaker will then include the Motion of No Confidence in the daily update.
4) There will be a period of 3 - 4 days where the members of the House can ask questions to both the member calling the Motion of No Confidence and the member subject to the Motion of No Confidence.
5) If the Speaker (or Deputy Speaker) does not want to oversee the Motion of No Confidence, they can appoint a moderator to oversee the Motion of No Confidence.
6) After the debating has finished, the Speaker/Deputy Speaker/appointed moderator will set up a 4-day private poll in the Division Lobby where the MPs may vote on the future of the Speaker or Deputy Speaker.
7) If the results are in favour of the Motion of No Confidence, the defeated member of the speakership team will remain in post while the other member of the team automatically starts an election to find their replacement, which either they or an appointed moderator will oversee. Once the election is concluded, the newly-elected member replaces the defeated member of the speakership team.
8) If the results are not in favour of the Motion of No Confidence then the member subject to the Motion of No Confidence will return to their duties but are expected to make a formal statement to the House.
9) The result is determined by a simple majority.

Notes

All changes are in italics for easier reading.

Most of these changes are merely ones for clarity, especially regarding the procedure for motions of no confidence in the Speaker (i.e. submission being made to the Deputy Speaker instead), or to make clauses more succinct. Others are to remove unnecessary information (for example, with regards to the GD, some lengthy explanations of conditions are replaced by references to the same conditions already explained in the Constitution).

The most ‘major’ change is possibly that of the provisions relating to motions of no confidence in Party Leaders. Clauses 3 and 6 of this section are new, and the author of this amendment anticipates that clause 6 may provoke some debate.

Changes for Division

Clause 3 of the provisions relating to motions of no confidence in Party Leaders has been amended to rectify an erroneous reference to clause 2. A clause has been added to each section to clarify that a simple majority determines the outcome of motions of no confidence, as was suggested in the initial debate.

The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Because I've never actually taken the time to read this cesspit of god knows what, I will just abstain.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
I’ll add in the italics tomorrow.

To truly keep with my old man image I was listening to a BBC radio 4 comedy while doing this.
Glaz
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
:yy:
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I really struggled to see what the significant changes were in this, even with the italics - will be abstaining on that basis.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mr Speaker, i have voted against this amendment on the basis that the amendments to internal party Monc procedures violate party sovereignty.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I really struggled to see what the significant changes were in this, even with the italics - will be abstaining on that basis.
The Principle changes are the adding of provisions in dealing with a VONC in a party leader, that is the only thing that is a real change. The other changes to this are just some clearing wording around the procedure for a vote of no confidence in the Speaker, as this is unclear (Brought to light by the VONC in myself)
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Because I've never actually taken the time to read this cesspit of god knows what, I will just abstain.
(Original post by shadowdweller)
The notes explain that the only real change you need to evaluate is the section pertaining to MoNCs in party leaders.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I’ll add in the italics tomorrow.
:dots:
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As I understand it this amendment really didn't need to be so long with the limited amount of the constitution and GD that it actually changes. I think the changes made are reasonable, and therefore support.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
As I understand it this amendment really didn't need to be so long with the limited amount of the constitution and GD that it actually changes. I think the changes made are reasonable, and therefore support.
It's only long because the sections aren't short and have to be replicated to show the changes. I thought it'd be better to show the amended sections in their entirety than merely show the bits that have been edited which would be most of them anyway I think.

Thanks for the support.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Order, order!

The Ayes to the right: 15
The Noes to the left: 7
Abstains: 13

The ayes have it, the ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (387)
44.38%
No (90)
10.32%
I'm not old enough (395)
45.3%

Watched Threads