Opinions on the following universities, regarding Computer Science Watch

Duku119
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am a college student in the second year of BTEC L3 National Extended Diploma ICT. I am trying to get the best universities I could get in London that would accept me with this qualification, giving the fact that my predicted grade is D*D*D*, I achieved 8 at GCSE Maths and 6 at English. I do not wish to spend any more years in college in order to study A-Levels, and as a result I am kind of scared that I might not be able to get into a university that would satisfy my needs.

I want to know your opinion on the following unis and how would you order them in terms of priority? Also what chances do you think I have in getting admitted at those universities?

Queen Mary, University of London
City, University of London
Brunel, University of London
Royal Holloway, University of London
Middlesex, University of London
Birkbeck, University of London
King's College, University of London (yes I am aware and have been informed that I have little to no chances of being admitted here do to my lack of A-Levels)

Thank you for your time, any opinions would be appreciated.
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Kings would be the best option but you are unlikely to get accepted there without an additional A level. Other than that Royal Holloway is quite good but some way out of London near Heathrow Airport and Windsor. To be honest without an A level you will have better options outside London in places like Kent if you are able to travel that far. Of your other choices Queen Mary would be the best if they dont require an A level.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Brunel and Middlesex aren’t part of the university of London https://london.ac.uk/ways-study/stud...r-institutions
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Duku119)
I am a college student in the second year of BTEC L3 National Extended Diploma ICT. I am trying to get the best universities I could get in London that would accept me with this qualification, giving the fact that my predicted grade is D*D*D*, I achieved 8 at GCSE Maths and 6 at English. I do not wish to spend any more years in college in order to study A-Levels, and as a result I am kind of scared that I might not be able to get into a university that would satisfy my needs.

I want to know your opinion on the following unis and how would you order them in terms of priority? Also what chances do you think I have in getting admitted at those universities?

Queen Mary, University of London
City, University of London
Brunel, University of London
Royal Holloway, University of London
Birkbeck, University of London
King's College, University of London (yes I am aware and have been informed that I have little to no chances of being admitted here do to my lack of A-Levels)

Thank you for your time, any opinions would be appreciated.
I would say Kings is the best followed by QMUL and Royal Holloway. As Royal Holloway is actually in Surrey, would you also consider Surrey uni? Although I have just seen that they want A level Maths

City is another decent uni, the others are less respected.

Birkbeck I don't know much about; it is a uni that mainly caters for older students as it runs lots of evening and part time courses. For that reason, I imagine there is not as much of a community feel amongst the student body
Last edited by harrysbar; 4 weeks ago
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d recommend having a good think about whether you want to study computer science or whether software engineering, computing or ITO/project management might suit you better. CS isn’t always a good choice - particularly for employment it often has more theory and not enough practical work to prepare you for the industry
Duku119
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Kings would be the best option but you are unlikely to get accepted there without an additional A level. Other than that Royal Holloway is quite good but some way out of London near Heathrow Airport and Windsor. To be honest without an A level you will have better options outside London in places like Kent if you are able to travel that far. Of your other choices Queen Mary would be the best if they dont require an A level.
Thank you! From your response I concluded that Queen Mary might be my best choice as they want D*DD in IT-related programmes and at least 6/B in GCSE Maths. Hopefully I will get a car and I will be able to travel to Egham if I get into Royal Holloway.
Duku119
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Brunel and Middlesex aren’t part of the university of London https://london.ac.uk/ways-study/stud...r-institutions
I apologise for my mistakes, I was aware beforehand that they are not part of Universities of London (guess I was tired). Can you give me an opinion on those universities? I would truly appreciate it!
Thank you for pointing out my mistakes.
Duku119
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
I would say Kings is the best followed by QMUL and Royal Holloway. As Royal Holloway is actually in Surrey, would you also consider Surrey uni? Although I have just seen that they want A level Maths

City is another decent uni, the others are less respected.

Birkbeck I don't know much about; it is a uni that mainly caters for older students as it runs lots of evening and part time courses. For that reason, I imagine there is not as much of a community feel amongst the student body
Thank you! Royal Holloway might be the furthest I can go, I have studied some travel routes and it already presents some difficulties. QMUL and City might seem to be my best options.
Duku119
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
I’d recommend having a good think about whether you want to study computer science or whether software engineering, computing or ITO/project management might suit you better. CS isn’t always a good choice - particularly for employment it often has more theory and not enough practical work to prepare you for the industry
Thanks for the advice. I initially was thinking between Software Engineering and Computer Science, but Computer Science seemed to include much more difficult and challenging topics that I will think I need in the future. Do you have any opinions on the mentioned universities?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Duku119)
Thanks for the advice. I initially was thinking between Software Engineering and Computer Science, but Computer Science seemed to include much more difficult and challenging topics that I will think I need in the future. Do you have any opinions on the mentioned universities?
Of your list I'd say QMUL has the strongest and best range of compsci/IT related degrees - although it's not to everyone's taste. You'd have a lot more choice if you looked outside London though (student loans are higher if you live away from home and the cost of living can be a LOT cheaper!).

If you're commuting then the travel time to Surrey or Reading or Kent or Essex might work out quicker/more regular than RHUL
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you're commuting then the travel time to Surrey or Reading or Kent or Essex might work out quicker/more regular than RHUL
That's true - it's 40 minutes by train from Waterloo to Egam (Royal Holloway) but only 25 from Paddington to Reading.....worth considering OP, if you're not too bothered about the University of London tag
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
That's true - it's 40 minutes by train from Waterloo to Egam (Royal Holloway) but only 25 from Paddington to Reading.....worth considering OP, if you're not too bothered about the University of London tag
The problems of the slow train...although the 40 minutes to Egham is the "fast" one (the slow train is an hour). And that's only twice an hour whereas reading trains are every 5 minutes or so.

Plus it's a good 20 minute walk (or 10 minute bus ride) to/from the station
Last edited by PQ; 4 weeks ago
Duku119
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Of your list I'd say QMUL has the strongest and best range of compsci/IT related degrees - although it's not to everyone's taste. You'd have a lot more choice if you looked outside London though (student loans are higher if you live away from home and the cost of living can be a LOT cheaper!).

(Original post by PQ)
The problems of the slow train...although the 40 minutes to Egham is the "fast" one (the slow train is an hour). And that's only twice an hour whereas reading trains are every 5 minutes or so.

Plus it's a good 20 minute walk (or 10 minute bus ride) to/from the station
Thank you for the opinions, I will consider the mentioned universities and see I will come up with to. Do you have any advice on my future university life, like what societies, clubs or extra activities could I join and make friends from? Or any other advice? I am kind of a loner and I am worried that in my next 4 years I will be the same. Is it possible for me to make some friends, do a part-time job and cultivate another interest unrelated to IT while also not having my studies affected to much? How? Time-management might be the key, although I really wish it would not have been .

Also, what I also wish from the university I will go to is for them to be able to provide me with a work placement in the field. How capable do you think the mentioned universities are in doing so? How could I increase my chances to receive work placement? Can they provide work placement in companies that work in software/ web development or will the universities most likely offer me work placements which are less related to CS?
I am also applying for Computer Science with Industrial Experience so I can get work placement, if that is of any help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Musical Theatre Undergraduate
    Fri, 13 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20

Do you work while at uni?