The Student Room Group

Would this be classed as being a young carer?

So a couple of years ago my gran was dying from cancer and me and my mum would go over to her's every day to help look after her. I was just wondering if this would class me as a young carer during the time she was ill? My mum was there to help her as well and my grandad was there too (although he's pretty old and wasn't able to do much to help).

Anyway, I'm applying to UCAS and want to know whether for that time I'd be classed as a young carer or not. It was during my S4 prelims so do you think it'd still be worth putting in even though it wasn't during my actual exams? Also if I were to put it in then where would I put it?

Thanks for reading :smile:
Where you registered as a carer with the local council/social services or with your gp? Did anyone at your school know?

There’s no specific question on UCAS about caring. The only place it can be added is as part of your reference. You need to decide if you think that it is worth including and if so speak to your referee. If it wasn’t recognised by your school at the time then they might require evidence.

Original post by aphamanda
So a couple of years ago my gran was dying from cancer and me and my mum would go over to her's every day to help look after her. I was just wondering if this would class me as a young carer during the time she was ill? My mum was there to help her as well and my grandad was there too (although he's pretty old and wasn't able to do much to help).

Anyway, I'm applying to UCAS and want to know whether for that time I'd be classed as a young carer or not. It was during my S4 prelims so do you think it'd still be worth putting in even though it wasn't during my actual exams? Also if I were to put it in then where would I put it?

Thanks for reading :smile:
Reply 2
I think a young carer is usually referred to someone who is the main carer. In your case I’m guessing your mum was probably the main carer. Also, as someone has mentioned, you might need to provide proof of being registered as a young carer so it might be best to leave it out unless you’re applying for something to do with nursing or something social care related in which case you’re trying to provide relevant experience/passion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending