The Student Room Group

I'm afraid of being judged for dropping out of uni

I started a degree is composition for film and TV in September. To be honest, I don't know why I chose it. I think I felt like I had to do something at uni otherwise I would be viewed as stupid or clueless. Part of me thinks I enjoy it, but I can't see myself doing composition as a career and if anything it stresses me out. I just don't know what else I want to do.

I just don't want to be patronised for dropping out and taking a break. I don't even know if that is the best option for me or not. I literally do not have any clue what I could do instead of this. I'm going through something in my head right now where I will come up with an idea of a degree that might be good to do, like film and camera work, but then can't decide whether I actually want to do it or just think I have to do it for the sake of having a degree. It sounds stupid I know. It's the social life too, I am currently in a relationship and my partner is the only person I have in my town at the moment (I still live at home and commute in) as all my friends have moved away to uni and I am terrified that if I was to lose her then I wont have anyone else. She promised me it would be fine and she wouldn't leave, but anxiety is a pain and I am still quite paranoid.

I often compare myself to people too much, and I guess I feel like if they are going to uni to study even if they don't have a particular job in mind then I should too because otherwise I might be viewed as clueless or that one person who does nothing with their life.

I just don't know what to do right now. I don't have any other interests other than music, guitars and maybe archaeology but those are all difficult careers to maintain and live off of. I just don't know what i'm doing anymore. I don't want to be looked at as dumb. I have 7 GCSEs and a BTEC worth 3 A Levels that I got a Distinction in but I'm worried that If I don't have a degree to add to my CV then i'm screwed and I will be rejected or called dumb.
Hey.

Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.

To start, I'd like to say that University isn't for everyone. There is no shame in quitting if you feel it's your best course of action. Neither is there any in taking a break.
To try and help, think on some things that you enjoyed in school, college/sixth form, and things like that! I did two years of Computer Science in College, only to go to into University for Computer Science and find it mediocre. So I dropped out, remembered I loved Media, and went and did that instead.

There have been times I haven't absolutely loved my course, but there have also been times I've adored it.
You won't be screwed or rejected without a degree. It just isn't like that.

Hope this helps
Joshua :biggrin:
Hi.
I've just dropped out of uni after trying to do maths and music at Keele. My parents were not overly impressed, especially my dad. My family do give me some stick about dropping out, but like you seem to be, I intend to return to uni next year to do just music (not at Keele though).
I would say don't drop out until you're sure. Maybe speak to someone at your uni and family/friends to look at your options. Worst case scenario, you stay the year, and then transfer to another uni for next year.
If you did choose to do music, whilst it is difficult to get a career in performance, it is doable, and obviously does happen. There's also lots of other things you can do though, especially if you find you really enjoy composition, there's lots you can do with that. There's plenty of jobs you can get with a degree in music, if that's the route you choose to take. I'm afraid I don't know much about archaeology, but I imagine its a similar story (eg. working in museums etc).
As long as you're at least grade 7-8 (depending where you go) and have at least grade 5 theory/knowledge by the time you start uni, many won't mind you don't have a-level music.
Hey sorry youre so stressed :frown: maybe research some paid apprenticeships that are equivalent to degrees- nowadays these are very well recognised and regarded similarly to a degree (and maybe more worthwhile)
Reply 4
The shame that you feel is understandable, but it is important that you remember that you are going to uni for yourself and no one else. If you don't think that it is the right path for you, then you'll feel much better in the long term going through a different path, rather than choosing a path based on what other people will think about you. This might seem harsh but excluding your friends, everyone that might've judged you would've forgotten you in 1 or 2 months.

If you are going to uni just to get a degree then it was never the place for you in the first place.
As for other options, if you really want a level 4 qualification, I know that some apprenticeships do offer one. You might actually find it more worthwhile since it also comes with work experience (and a paycheck of course) :smile: I think that it will come down to your learning style and what you actually want coming out of your degree. Good Luck :h:
Reply 5
Don't worry about dropping out, you tried uni and it wasn't for you that's no big deal. Life is about trying what works for you. In all honesty I think way to many people go to uni in this country its almost unnecessary. One of my closet mates dropped out the other week and it sucked for me but for her it was probably one of the best decisions shes made. Going to uni isn't everything and you can do amazing things without a degree, and you've just opened up another few years of your life to get ahead of all the graduates, so use it!
I dropped out of a good degree at a good university because I wanted to pursue medicine. People were SO SO SO critical at first, and then guess what? They really don't care. It's natural to worry about being criticised, but it's your life. If you love archeology, you'll find a way to make it work around your life and you'll find a way to make a living.

But if you decide you don't want a degree, that would be okay too. You would find your thing. You might not be seen as "successful" in the stupid, typical way. It's what you think that matters.

Just take a leap of faith.
Have you looked into degree apprenticeships? Going to uni isn't for everyone but if you can get yourself onto a degree apprenticeship that you will enjoy then not only will you get a degree at the end but also have experience on your CV and you get paid the whole time. You will also meet new people and make new friends so that will help that front too.

Hope this helos somewhat
I'm just gonna say that you will get judged to high heaven. If you dropped out of uni it's not as bad as dropping out of college, however, your parents will compare you to your peers, your future employers or future interviewers will compare you to the norms, etc.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't drop out, just mentally prepare yourself for what's down that path. You said you have an interest in music and guitar. How about pursuing those as a hobby or some sort while pursuing a profitable degree that you could force yourself to be interested to some extent?

Quick Reply

Latest