The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eisb
Shocked I got an offer, was not expecting it based on how I felt the day went! Only problem is it's about 270 miles from home (my boyfriend's job location is fixed, we have a mortgage and a dog so there's a lot keeping me there) so I'm in a bit of a dilemma now. Part of me feels it would be stupid to turn down an offer and go through the process all over, and there's obviously no guarantee I would be so lucky again the second time around. But then 5 years is a long time to be somewhere you don't really want to be. Have a lot of mulling over to do the next 48 hours! Commiserations to those who haven't got an offer yet this year :frown:

It’s such a difficult one, I literally only ranked 10 jobs as we’ve just bought a house and stuff so I figured if it wasn’t realistic then I didn’t want to have it tempt me, if you get what I mean! 5 years is a long time and you’ll likely make loads of contacts where you train so I suppose it’s whether you’d be willing to relocate or not
Another appointable but no place - only ranked 10 spots though and applied last min so I could see what it was like for future years, not sure I'd have accepted if I got an offer this year. So much more intense than any other recruitment process though - not even sure how I ended up being appointable after that written exam. Congrats to those w offers!
Original post by proitaser
Another appointable but no place - only ranked 10 spots though and applied last min so I could see what it was like for future years, not sure I'd have accepted if I got an offer this year. So much more intense than any other recruitment process though - not even sure how I ended up being appointable after that written exam. Congrats to those w offers!

Yeah I feel just the same! Good experience for future attempts at least
I was unsuccessful this year. It was only my first attempt though so trying not to be too hard on myself. I actually came out of the day feeling I'd done ok so really want to get some feedback to find out what I can work on for next year!Congrats to all those with offers!
Reply 84
I'm on the reserve list too... Does anyone know how long we might have to wait for a second round of offers? I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it'd be good to know how long we might have to wait!
Reply 85
Original post by Anonymous
It’s such a difficult one, I literally only ranked 10 jobs as we’ve just bought a house and stuff so I figured if it wasn’t realistic then I didn’t want to have it tempt me, if you get what I mean! 5 years is a long time and you’ll likely make loads of contacts where you train so I suppose it’s whether you’d be willing to relocate or not

I was considering ranking only the ones in Scotland, but then after the day in Loughborough I changed my mind - I thought I've put so much into this now, I'll just rank everything! My gut feeling is I will accept with upgrades. I'm in a bit of weird situation re. eligibility since I finished the foundation programme a while back and I don't want to end up in the situation where I'm not eligible for the medical route but don't have enough public health experience to apply via the non-medical route! I heard from some of the other candidates at the interview that if you start the training programme, you can reapply the following year for a transfer, so there is a possibility I might end up being away from home for only 12 months which would be really good :smile:
Original post by eisb
I was considering ranking only the ones in Scotland, but then after the day in Loughborough I changed my mind - I thought I've put so much into this now, I'll just rank everything! My gut feeling is I will accept with upgrades. I'm in a bit of weird situation re. eligibility since I finished the foundation programme a while back and I don't want to end up in the situation where I'm not eligible for the medical route but don't have enough public health experience to apply via the non-medical route! I heard from some of the other candidates at the interview that if you start the training programme, you can reapply the following year for a transfer, so there is a possibility I might end up being away from home for only 12 months which would be really good :smile:

Do you mind me asking where you've been offered?
Reply 87
Original post by Cuttle246
I was unsuccessful this year. It was only my first attempt though so trying not to be too hard on myself. I actually came out of the day feeling I'd done ok so really want to get some feedback to find out what I can work on for next year!Congrats to all those with offers!

One of the applicants in my interview group had applied 2 years ago and didn't receive an offer, then did get an offer last year (but in a location they didn't want - they were after one particular location) and said their score improved massively between the first and second go. Apparently the feedback is really helpful in knowing what is being looked for in each of the stations. So having been through the process before will put you in good stead next time round :smile:
Original post by eisb
Congratulations Dandelion89! Was that kind of the area you were hoping for? I'm in the North of Scotland so chances of me getting somewhere near home was very slim! Oh well :smile:

Thanks so much, I’m really very surprised too... such a hard day! It is my local placement so really very chuffed! It’s very tricky, as you say, five years is a long time to be somewhere you don’t want to be. For me, there were only a few commutable options (as I’m similar- mortgage, partner with a fixed job, cat!) so further afield wouldn’t have been an option. Good luck in whatever you decide!
Original post by eisb

What are the rules re foundation programme? Can you have more than one year out of clinical practice and still use it for eligibility?
Reply 90
What are the rules re foundation programme? Can you have more than one year out of clinical practice and still use it for eligibility?

I am a bit confused by all the different eligibility requirements for the two different application routes, so take anything I say with a pinch of salt! But from what I understand -
If you completed the foundation programme 3+ years before you start Public Health training, and you are NOT currently in training, you need to get someone (recent clinical supervisor) to fill in a CREST form confirming that you still meet all the foundation competencies. (quote from the recruitment office's reply to my email about this: "As you completed foundation training prior to 2017 and you are no longer in a training post holding a NTN or DRN then you will need to submit the CREST form") What I don't know is how long this form is valid for.
My understanding from the essential guidance document is that if you are out of clinical practice for 3.5 years+, then you have apply via the non medical route (please someone correct me if I'm wrong!). So I think being out of clinical practice for a period of time less than 3.5 years is probably OK, so long as you have a CREST form or have completed the foundation programme within the last 3 years. I'm not 100% sure about this though!
In my case, I am already doing a 1 year Masters, and if I hadn't been offered a job my backup plan would have been to apply for a PHD, which would then push me over the 3.5 years. Hence my concern that I would end up ineligble for the medical route, but without enough paid work experience to apply as a non-medic!
Reply 91
I’ve seen for some of the deaneries that they’ve specifically put that transfers are really unlikely so only select the place if you want to stay there - I guess that might be the ones near London fed up of London wannabes! I’d be really worried about accepting somewhere else - five years is a long time. I rejected an offer last year (too far away, I’d just panicked and put everything down! but got one I really wanted this year.. but I guess you never know!
Aw rejection for me too :frown:
Fingers crossed for next year. Well done everyone who managed to get a job - you all deserve it and I wish you the best of luck!
Reply 93
Original post by Minnie20
I'm on the reserve list too... Does anyone know how long we might have to wait for a second round of offers? I'm trying not to get my hopes up but it'd be good to know how long we might have to wait!

Final offers are by Monday 9th March at the latest, so potentially 2 weeks at the most.

I'm reserve list too, but to be honest I'm not holding my breath. Talking to other applicants at the interview and beforehand it sounds like quite a few people get an appointable score but don't get an offer.
Quite disappointed, just have to decide if it's worth going through the process again next year for third time lucky.
Congrats to those who have offers already though!
Original post by GDKO
Final offers are by Monday 9th March at the latest, so potentially 2 weeks at the most.

I'm reserve list too, but to be honest I'm not holding my breath. Talking to other applicants at the interview and beforehand it sounds like quite a few people get an appointable score but don't get an offer.
Quite disappointed, just have to decide if it's worth going through the process again next year for third time lucky.
Congrats to those who have offers already though!

I think the offers are passed on as soon as someone rejects something.. I heard of someone who was told they were appointable but no jobs available who then got one a few hours later so anytime between now and the 9th March I guess! 🤞🏼
Original post by Minnie20

Could be any time I think! Keeping my fingers crossed (no idea if I’m miles off or just the one person.. so hard to judge!)
Reply 96
Could be any time I think! Keeping my fingers crossed (no idea if I’m miles off or just the one person.. so hard to judge!)

Have you checked the Oriel page today? My overall rank has appeared on there, pretty sure I hadn't seen it yesterday (I'm apparently 67th, so I must have scraped through by the skin of my teeth!) It might give you a rough idea of where you are in the line? Good luck!!
Reply 97
Original post by eisb
Have you checked the Oriel page today? My overall rank has appeared on there, pretty sure I hadn't seen it yesterday (I'm apparently 67th, so I must have scraped through by the skin of my teeth!) It might give you a rough idea of where you are in the line? Good luck!!

Oh yeah mine has appeared. It wasn't when I checked this morning so must have been in the last hour or so. Thanks for that.
Although with my ranking I think I'm going to forget about being offered a reject.
Original post by eisb

Oh thanks! That pretty much answers my question.. no job off reserve list for me this year.
That was really helpful though, no need to keep refreshing now!
Original post by eisb

For anyone who doesn’t mind saying, what is the lowest offer/highest reserve score that people know of this time? Baring in mind the variety of locations people would have ranked would be interesting to hear to give an idea of how the land lies

Latest

Trending

Trending