Which of these Universities has the best job prospects for Law? Watch

Ruzbear
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi there,

I was curious which of these universities would be best to apply to if I was seeking high employment prospects post-studies. Basically, which is the most impressive to a future employer.

Manchester
York
Exeter
Warwick
Leeds

Thanks.
Last edited by Ruzbear; 4 weeks ago
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
None of these universities is 'impressive'. If there's one thing that can be generalised about them, it's that law employers don't bother with micro-analysing differences in 'reputation'. If your 'employer' (in a loose sense, as this includes e.g. pupillage committees in chambers) really cares about academics, chances are that they're going to ideally want Oxbridge + a First + any prizes/scholarships you can bring along.

There is some data on what graduates at these unis do after graduating, but it's either meaningless, out of date, or determined by things like how selective the uni is, how privileged its students are, how big its cohort is, etc.
ThirdBack
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J Papi)
None of these universities is 'impressive'. If there's one thing that can be generalised about them, it's that law employers don't bother with micro-analysing differences in 'reputation'. If your 'employer' (in a loose sense, as this includes e.g. pupillage committees in chambers) really cares about academics, chances are that they're going to ideally want Oxbridge + a First + any prizes/scholarships you can bring along.

There is some data on what graduates at these unis do after graduating, but it's either meaningless, out of date, or determined by things like how selective the uni is, how privileged its students are, how big its cohort is, etc.
not quite sure I agree with this....

not everyone goes to oxbridge and gets a first, those are all good unis and a Law degree will set you up well.
Majid jack
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
👦👦👦👧👧🌱🌱🌱
username5010754
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Manchester has the highest graduate employment rate atm and is highest ranked for Law. Also with all the money being pumped in I’m sure it’s gonna only get better so if I were you I’d pick there. Warwick still has a bit more prestige as of now if you ask me and I don’t know much about the other three
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ThirdBack)
not quite sure I agree with this....

not everyone goes to oxbridge and gets a first, those are all good unis and a Law degree will set you up well.
And not all employers, as I said, 'really care about academics'. Only a tiny minority do, and they tend to recruit for a handful of 'elite' City firms or chambers. Read the post.

(Original post by Kryptonitekid43)
Manchester has the highest graduate employment rate atm and is highest ranked for Law. Also with all the money being pumped in I’m sure it’s gonna only get better so if I were you I’d pick there. Warwick still has a bit more prestige as of now if you ask me and I don’t know much about the other three
Citation needed re: "money being pumped in"

Employment rate data is generally useless because it includes postgraduate studies and doesn't account for things like whether the graduate has their LPC funded (or whether they have gotten pupillage before or during the BPTC).

But your assertion is off anyway - check https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6160930 (document 11). Exeter has had a lower 'assumed unemployment' percentage (out of the UK-domiciled graduates captured by the survey) in recent years. York and Warwick seem to have similar percentages to Manchester.
username5010754
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Citation needed re: "money being pumped in"

Employment rate data is generally useless because it includes postgraduate studies and doesn't account for things like whether the graduate has their LPC funded (or whether they have gotten pupillage before or during the BPTC).

But your assertion is off anyway - check https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6160930 (document 11). Exeter has had a lower 'assumed unemployment' percentage (out of the UK-domiciled graduates captured by the survey) in recent years. York and Warwick seem to have similar percentages to Manchester.
I saw someone in another pair on this site talk about the moment being pumped in. I guess that’s hearsay so I retract that. I assumed it was valid asManchester is the most popular uni in the north afaik because a lot of the north seems to flock there. I could be wrong. I was actually at Manchester on Friday and they had posters everywhere advertising the employability thing. That’s why I mentioned it.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I saw someone in another pair on this site talk about the moment being pumped in. I guess that’s hearsay so I retract that. I assumed it was valid asManchester is the most popular uni in the north afaik because a lot of the north seems to flock there. I could be wrong. I was actually at Manchester on Friday and they had posters everywhere advertising the employability thing. That’s why I mentioned it.
Another victim of marketing huh
username5010754
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Another victim of marketing huh
Not really. I just didn’t believe the uni could lie so blatantly without the threat of culpability so I assumed it was valid.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not really. I just didn’t believe the uni could lie so blatantly without the threat of culpability so I assumed it was valid.
It's not lying, it's cherrypicking one statistic that doesn't mean anything to begin with (cf. all the claims by universities about being the '#1 for teaching' because they got one good NSS score)

The problem is that few people actually care or know enough about the data enough to report unis like Manc to the ASA, which is frankly what they deserve
username5010754
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's not lying, it's cherrypicking one statistic that doesn't mean anything to begin with (cf. all the claims by universities about being the '#1 for teaching' because they got one good NSS score)

The problem is that few people actually care or know enough about the data enough to report unis like Manc to the ASA, which is frankly what they deserve
Ah I wasn’t aware this was happening, thank you for elucidating the matter.
Ruzbear
Rep:
?
Yeah, still don't know which is the best Uni to apply to. So far I've gathered that "HuRR DuRR OxFoRd GoOd" as well as "uNi LiE!" and not much else.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Ruzbear)
Yeah, still don't know which is the best Uni to apply to. So far I've gathered that "HuRR DuRR OxFoRd GoOd" as well as "uNi LiE!" and not much else.
You asked a stupid question. You got told that this question is stupid and that there's no difference between these universities with regard to the factor you asked about. What you now need to do is run off and find some other things you care about, and do your own research. Or do you expect us to make your decision for you?
Ruzbear
Rep:
?
You asked a stupid question. You got told that this question is stupid and that there's no difference between these universities with regard to the factor you asked about. What you now need to do is run off and find some other things you care about, and do your own research. Or do you expect us to make your decision for you?
"no difference"
k.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"no difference"
k.
It's funny how you've gone from being a sixth former who recognises that they don't know anything to someone who seems to know so much that they can dismiss what I'm saying out of hand...

harrysbar Too many snotty lil sh*ts in one day, I'm done
Ruzbear
Rep:
?
It's funny how you've gone from being a sixth former who recognises that they don't know anything to someone who seems to know so much that they can dismiss what I'm saying out of hand...

harrysbar Too many snotty lil sh*ts in one day, I'm done
"tOo MaNy SnOtTy LiL sH*Ts In OnE dAy"
salt.
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
"tOo MaNy SnOtTy LiL sH*Ts In OnE dAy"
salt.
Why would I need to be salty to you of all people? Have you achieved anything I haven't? Have you rebutted anything I've said in some spectacular manner? No, you're yet another academically unexceptional sixth former who thinks that an employer is going to be impressed by you studying at Manchester, Warwick or Exeter. I have to deal with 10 of you a day. Now shoo
Ruzbear
Rep:
?
Why would I need to be salty to you of all people? Have you achieved anything I haven't? Have you rebutted anything I've said in some spectacular manner? No, you're yet another academically unexceptional sixth former who thinks that an employer is going to be impressed by you studying at Manchester, Warwick or Exeter. I have to deal with 10 of you a day. Now shoo
>we got him playing defense boys
salt x2.
Last edited by Ruzbear; 4 weeks ago
username5033100
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
>we got him playing defense boys
salt.
Not at all, he is literally stating facts.

All of them are RG unis, one is not going to have Slaughter & May rolling out the red carpet for you on graduate and the other is not going to leave you sifting paperwork at a high street immigration shop.

Does not matter which one you attend; getting a 2:2 from ExeTAH is not going to make a law firm *** in their pants that you went to ExeTAH and nor is getting a 1st from Manchester going to make a US firm not hire you because you went to Manchester.
Ruzbear
Rep:
?
(Original post by Qull)
Not at all, he is literally stating facts.

All of them are RG unis, one is not going to have Slaughter & May rolling out the red carpet for you on graduate and the other is not going to leave you sifting paperwork at a high street immigration shop.

Does not matter which one you attend; getting a 2:2 from ExeTAH is not going to make a law firm *** in their pants that you went to ExeTAH and nor is getting a 1st from Manchester going to make a US firm not hire you because you went to Manchester.
What if I really want to go to ExeTURRRR?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (390)
44.37%
No (90)
10.24%
I'm not old enough (399)
45.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed