Sheltered person going to university... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What do you think would happen when someone with a very sheltered upbringing goes to university? They've never travelled, been out to eat, and their parents don't believe in them having relationships.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What do you think would happen when someone with a very sheltered upbringing goes to university? They've never travelled, been out to eat, and their parents don't believe in them having relationships.
I knew someone like that at uni, he didn't even know how to make a cup of tea until we taught him.

It will be a steep learing curve but ok as long as you are open to learning new things. You can make it a bit easier for yourself by at least learning some basic skills before you go like how to cook a few meals or altrnatively, choose a catered hall. Lots of people haven't travelled much or at all and hopefully you will enjoy the new experiences you have like eating out
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Cool thanks yeah tbh my mum does everything for me lol
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The sooner you get her to stop, the better.

Is she ready to let you go?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
either they'll go wild or they will continue being sheltered on their own
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
My son couldn't cook one jot when he went to uni - he is really good at it now
(my daughter couldn't cook before uni either and still can't)
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Heyy,

I think the best advice has been given to you. A lot of people have lived a sheltered life and gone to uni, so you are not on your own. Despite being sheltered, many other students are equally as worried to start uni and leave home, so it will be a learning curve for you all.

As harrysbar said, you could choose catered accommodation, but living with a bunch of students in self-catered accommodation will help you a tonne.

University is a great experience and you will slowly but surely learn the ropes.

Best of luck,
Ashley
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (379)
44.17%
No (90)
10.49%
I'm not old enough (389)
45.34%

Watched Threads