try.again
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi, I would appreciate it if someone could have a read and give me some feedback regarding grammatical mistakes. I am trying improve my writing, so any feedback will be valuable. Many thanks!

The Bloomberg news article has described the ongoing U.S-China trade dispute as the ‘New Cold War’ in which both countries are finding all possible means to prevent each other from becoming the world’s most dominant hegemon. The imposition of tariff on China by America has been perceived by some as an effective way to constrain and ‘contain’ China’s rising global power. It is mentioned in the Bloomberg news article that ZTE corporation, which is the second largest telecommunication supplier company in China, was brought down by Trump after sales restrictions were enforced; this consequently left impactful trade issues for China who had to entirely rely on the U.S to resolve this matter. Such event had highlighted the kind of helpless stance and inability that China held, which has been interpreted as the overreliance China has on America. From this, it is reasonable to deduce that China is negatively affected by the imposition of tariff from the U.S. Moreover, other articles have highlighted the steady decline in China’s economic growth and the potential financial problems the country is likely to get.

President Trump introduced the protectionism policy in 2018: the imposition of a 25% tariff on selective Chinese imports. However, the U.S. suffers the most from its policy as its stock market encounters volatility and instability due to uncertainties from this trade war. According to Ricardo’s comparative advantage theory, tariff will not lead to a boom in its domestic industry as President Trump hoped for, since the U.S. faces higher opportunity costs from the production and is therefore less efficient at producing the targeted Chinese imports compared to China. American consumers have reduced purchasing powers from the increased prices of imported goods. Whereas, this policy provides a good trigger for China to accelerate its independence on trades with the U.S. by opening up its market more and improving trade relations with other trading partners, particularly in Asia, in the long-run. In other words, China is the real winner from this, and America is undertaking an action that instead damages its economy.

It is evident that China recently engages more in WTO compared to the U.S, resulting in more integrations with other countries. Chinese consumers consume more due to the higher availability of cheaper imported foreign goods that China does not have a comparative advantage in making. Ultimately, a rising GDP can be expected in China.
China’s major involvement in the Belt and Road Initiative has demonstrated the great global and economic power it possesses as it provides the main source of funding for this project. There is no surprise that China will overtake the U.S as the world’s most dominant hegemon, which makes the U.S feel threatened and undermined as mentioned in John’s 2013 paper. The paper also describes that China holds ‘greater bargaining power over the redesign of the global financial governance’.

In conclusion, overall China is not weakened by the trade dispute as it holds a firm position globally that is not easily shaken. The trade dispute brings volatility to China, but the country is able to withstand the external challenges.
Last edited by try.again; 4 months ago
boneappletea
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi, I have typed out a few suggestions for the first paragraph. Please feel free to accept them if you find them helpful!

The Bloomberg news article (if you are referring to a specific article, insert the name; if you are referring to the website only, delete "news article") has described the ongoing US-China trade dispute as the ‘New Cold War’ in which both countries are finding all possible means to prevent each other from becoming the world’s most dominant hegemon.
The imposition of tariff on China by America has been perceived by some as an effective way to constrain and ‘contain’ (delete quotation marks) China’s rising global power.
It is mentioned in the Bloomberg news article (if you have accepted my first advice, you can simply refer the article as "the (news) article") that ZTE Corporation, which is the second largest telecommunication supplier company (deleting 'company' is fine, since it has already been referred to as corporation earlier) in China, was brought down by Trump after sales restrictions were enforced; consequently, this left (created is better maybe?) impactful trade issues for China who had to entirely rely on the U.S to resolve this matter.
Such event had highlighted the kind of (delete kind of, sounds informal) helpless stance (replace 'stance' with 'state') and inability that China held (the helpless state/situation China was in and its inability), which has been interpreted as the overreliance China has on America (I guess you mean the cause of China's helpless situation is its overreliance on US imports? If that's the case, you may wish to make the causal relationship clearer).
From this, it is reasonable to deduce that China is negatively affected by the imposition of tariff from the U.S. Moreover, other articles have highlighted the steady decline in China’s economic growth and the potential financial problems the country is likely to get (change 'get' to 'face in the future').
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (135)
58.95%
No (52)
22.71%
Not sure (42)
18.34%

Watched Threads