Maintenance loan covering tuition fees for 5 year medicine as a graduate

Watch
NumbaCruncha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello Student Finance England,

I was wondering if you could give me some financial advice on my situation.

I am currently a 23 year old graduate (4 year undergraduate master's) who is thinking about returning to study again. I am hoping to apply for the 2021 entry to medicine (King's, QMUL, UCL) and I was hoping to know if it is possible to claim maintenance loan for the standard 5 year entry (I understand I can get both tuition and maintenance with the graduate entry medicine 4 year course).

I understand that this route does not permit me to claim for tuition loan, but can I at least claim maintenance loan to fund the tuition from year 1-4? (I understand the NHS can assist for the 5th year).
If I do get into the course, I should be 25 when I start the course, if that is a helpful information.

Would it be possible to know roughly how much I can claim per year for maintenance loan? I want to know if it is possible to cover the £9,250 tuition fee. I have been eligible for full tuition and maintenance loans in the past. My situation would still be identical (living in london with relatives but not parents, studying full time etc.). Also, could I know the amount I could claim in advance prior to applying for the courses next year so I can decide whether it is financially fesible for me to continue this route?

I cannot seem to find an official statement on the maximum/minimum amount from SFE website and the gov.co.uk website's maintenance loan calculator does not give the option to suggest it is my second degree as a factor for these calculations.

Thanks!
Erin SFE
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NumbaCruncha)
Hello Student Finance England,

I was wondering if you could give me some financial advice on my situation.

I am currently a 23 year old graduate (4 year undergraduate master's) who is thinking about returning to study again. I am hoping to apply for the 2021 entry to medicine (King's, QMUL, UCL) and I was hoping to know if it is possible to claim maintenance loan for the standard 5 year entry (I understand I can get both tuition and maintenance with the graduate entry medicine 4 year course).

I understand that this route does not permit me to claim for tuition loan, but can I at least claim maintenance loan to fund the tuition from year 1-4? (I understand the NHS can assist for the 5th year).
If I do get into the course, I should be 25 when I start the course, if that is a helpful information.

Would it be possible to know roughly how much I can claim per year for maintenance loan? I want to know if it is possible to cover the £9,250 tuition fee. I have been eligible for full tuition and maintenance loans in the past. My situation would still be identical (living in london with relatives but not parents, studying full time etc.). Also, could I know the amount I could claim in advance prior to applying for the courses next year so I can decide whether it is financially fesible for me to continue this route?

I cannot seem to find an official statement on the maximum/minimum amount from SFE website and the gov.co.uk website's maintenance loan calculator does not give the option to suggest it is my second degree as a factor for these calculations.

Thanks!
Hi there,

We only have the maximum funding amounts for the 2020/21 academic year just now as the 2021/22 year has not yet been released.

If you are 25 before the start of your course then you will be classed as an independent student and will be able to apply for the maximum funding.

The maximum available for students living in London away from parents would be £12,010.

Thanks, Erin
NumbaCruncha
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Erin SFE)
Hi there,

We only have the maximum funding amounts for the 2020/21 academic year just now as the 2021/22 year has not yet been released.

If you are 25 before the start of your course then you will be classed as an independent student and will be able to apply for the maximum funding.

The maximum available for students living in London away from parents would be £12,010.

Thanks, Erin
Hello Erin,

I just wanted a confirmation and this gives me a much needed confidence that this route is somewhat realistic to pursue.

Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (898)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (396)
18.87%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads