My boyfriend rebelled against his parents Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
My boyfriend has strict parents... but when he went to university he basically started living a double life. He partied most nights, had a girlfriend for a few years, and a very active social life. All throughout, his mum would ring him regularly and check up on him... sometimes he'd be out at a club when she rang and he would go in to a quiet room/ outside and pretend he was about to go to sleep. So his parents knew nothing and were convinced he spent all his time going to lectures and studying.

I find this all so hard to understand because my parents are very very liberal, and I've never kept anything from them. Also because my boyfriend is a good hearted person... I have met his parents and from what I know of them they would never have approved of his ex girlfriend. Yet, my boyfriend now often talks about the importance of keeping his parents happy.

So he's lived this life, had a gf that he knew he'd never marry, and hid this all from his parents.

Is this strange?
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not at all strange. It's normal when people (in this case his parents) try to put chains on a young person that they will rebel as soon as they get a taste of freedom.

Fast forward to now and he's got that out of his system, has matured a little, and has more respect for his parents.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 3 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
ok thanks
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My boyfriend has strict parents... but when he went to university he basically started living a double life. He partied most nights, had a girlfriend for a few years, and a very active social life. All throughout, his mum would ring him regularly and check up on him... sometimes he'd be out at a club when she rang and he would go in to a quiet room/ outside and pretend he was about to go to sleep. So his parents knew nothing and were convinced he spent all his time going to lectures and studying.

I find this all so hard to understand because my parents are very very liberal, and I've never kept anything from them. Also because my boyfriend is a good hearted person... I have met his parents and from what I know of them they would never have approved of his ex girlfriend. Yet, my boyfriend now often talks about the importance of keeping his parents happy.

So he's lived this life, had a gf that he knew he'd never marry, and hid this all from his parents.

Is this strange?
No, very normal.

he wants to have fun & have his parents proud of him, I wouldn't call it "rebelling"; his parents just see one side of the coin...
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Is this strange?
tbh if he's 18 of over it doesn't matter (but if I was the parent I would be soo annoyed)... plus lmao this I what most of messed up Gen Z do these days (18+ or -18 years old)...sad going do the same (not take orders from people) when I am 18 (no one is gonna tell me what to do!! unless you are the gov/law IDC if your my teacher or parent... I legally don't have to follow what you say anymore unless you're are the law/queen/gov/council etc... but I would certainly not do what your bf does (I hate partying, socializing, having a GF or BF, drinking, doing crap on social media other than YouTube))
ilovepancakes
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
It's normal. He got it out his system
cheerIeader
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
He sounds like quite the rebellious and hard man..

Let me know if he's single.
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cheerIeader)
He sounds like quite the rebellious and hard man..

Let me know if he's single.
he's his or her (the OP's) BOYFRIEND meaning he is NOT single
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (162)
19.45%
Labour (423)
50.78%
Liberal Democrats (113)
13.57%
Green Party (46)
5.52%
Brexit Party (12)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.48%
SNP (14)
1.68%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.48%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.72%
SDLP (1)
0.12%
Ulster Unionist (4)