Bristol University - Contextual Offer? Watch

Zamblot
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I am currently predicted AAC, at my high end my current choice was Kings which required AAA, pretty hard to get into for my but it's my top end. (Subjects in order of grade: Maths, Computer Science, Physics)
Now I'm have used up all my other uni slots and have been notified that Bristol somehow offers a contextual offer for my College (which I thought ranked pretty well but apparently not). I mainly just want to go to the best uni I can go for so if I can get into Bristol it would be great but am I likely to recieve an offer for them contextually? They say their required goes from A*AA to AAB which is actually now lower than Kings for me but do you think I'll be more likely to be considered in Bristol considering most of their students will be A*AA students so they probably wouldn't want an AAC person even applying (I plan on getting my physics grade better with alot of hard work but it's already my predicted so I can't do anything about it at the moment)
Imagine that location and other factors don't play into it and I'm just sheerly going off my chances of getting in. What do you think? Do I have a chance and is they they will offer me as low as AAB or I will get offered AAB for a contextual (just one grade off what I have)
Thanks everyone
riaaree
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hi, yes im sure they will accept you! no harm in trying! im also applying to bristol but my target grades are bcc yet im getting aab in my mocks. i also got the contextual offer. in my opinion, they will look at your targets however if you manage to smash them then they will want you if that makes sense. so take my bcc, if i get aaa they will (i hope) accept me because its what i got at the end of the a levels, it shows that i can adapt and learn and may also show that im a bright student despite not being labelled as one!
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by riaaree)
hi, yes im sure they will accept you! no harm in trying! im also applying to bristol but my target grades are bcc yet im getting aab in my mocks. i also got the contextual offer. in my opinion, they will look at your targets however if you manage to smash them then they will want you if that makes sense. so take my bcc, if i get aaa they will (i hope) accept me because its what i got at the end of the a levels, it shows that i can adapt and learn and may also show that im a bright student despite not being labelled as one!
Bristol may or may not make you an offer for 1 grade below their contextual grades. returnmigrant can you give more detailed advice on the likelyhood of Bristol making an offer in these circumstances. I suspect it will be AAB if the offer is made.
Zamblot
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Bristol may or may not make you an offer for 1 grade below their contextual grades. returnmigrant can you give more detailed advice on the likelyhood of Bristol making an offer in these circumstances. I suspect it will be AAB if the offer is made
Since it's one grade below their contextual I'd be surprised if I don't get a conditional offer from them?
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Zamblot)
I am currently predicted AAC,
I have been notified that Bristol offers a contextual offer for my College.
They say their required goes from A*AA to AAB but do you think I'll be more likely to be considered for Bristol considering most of their students will be A*AA students so they probably wouldn't want an AAC person.
Bristol makes Contextual (two grades lower) offers if you go to one of their identified schools, you are in care, or if you live in a postcode area where few people go to Uni - lots more info here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...extual-offers/

If you qualify for the lower offer - and you get an offer - it will be AAB regardless of what grades you were predicted.

Law will consider people with predicted grades one grade lower than the offer (both standard and contextual, ie. for the contextual offer you'd have to be predicted at least ABB to be considered) and they dont 'prefer' standard applicants over contextual applicants.

Apply - Bristol likes contextual applicants, but make sure you book and take LNAT asap.
Zamblot
Rep:
?
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Bristol makes Contextual (two grades lower) offers if you go to one of their identified schools, you are in care, or if you live in a postcode area where few people go to Uni - lots more info here : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...extual-offers/

If you qualify for the lower offer - and you get an offer - it will be AAB regardless of what grades you were predicted.

Law will consider people with predicted grades one grade lower than the offer (both standard and contextual, ie. for the contextual offer you'd have to be predicted at least ABB to be considered) and they dont 'prefer' standard applicants over contextual applicants.

Apply - Bristol likes contextual applicants, but make sure you book and take LNAT asap.
LNAT?
But thanks for all that information
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
LNAT?
That is the Law National Admissions Test that many leading Law schools expect students to sit.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
LNAT?
Ooops, sorry - assumed you were applying for Law.
What subject are you applying for?
cosmic_soph
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
when did you get your offer from bristol? I haven't heard back yet...
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by cosmic_soph)
when did you get your offer from bristol? I haven't heard back yet...
Subject?
riaaree
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im just waiting for my teachers to finalise my personal statement then im sure to apply
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im just waiting for my teachers to finalise my personal statement then im sure to apply
The target grades you have given. Are these your predicted grades. It is highly unlikely Bristol will make you an offer even a contextual offer if these are your predicted grades. Speak to your teachers and explain what your mock grades were to see if these grades can be increased to give you a better chance of getting offers.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If the contextual offer is AAB, depending on course and A level subjects. its quite possible that Bristol would give someone an offer with AAC.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
This is what I was referring to

hi, yes im sure they will accept you! no harm in trying! im also applying to bristol but my target grades are bcc yet im getting aab in my mocks
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
im also applying to bristol but my target grades are bcc yet im getting aab in my mocks
Then ask your teachers if they will increase your predictions if you can show that you are capable of achieving this.
Would they wait until January and raise your predictions?

Or, you could pull your application for this year, work your socks off, get the right grades and apply with known grades in Sept for 2020 entry.
riaaree
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The target grades you have given. Are these your predicted grades. It is highly unlikely Bristol will make you an offer even a contextual offer if these are your predicted grades. Speak to your teachers and explain what your mock grades were to see if these grades can be increased to give you a better chance of getting offers.
yes they are unfortunately im doing my mocks in December but in my last ones i got aab.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
yes they are unfortunately im doing my mocks in December but in my last ones i got aab.
hold your application until you have done your mocks to see if you can improve your predicted grades. It is highly likely Bristol will refuse you with those predicted grades.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
hold your application until you have done your mocks to see if you can improve your predicted grades. It is highly likely Bristol will refuse you with those predicted grades.
Depending on the course they are applying for, its actually quite possible that the OP would be made an offer by Bristol as they are only one grade below the requirements. Many courses at Bristol accept what are known as 'aspirational applications'.
Last edited by returnmigrant; 3 weeks ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
Depending on the course they are applying for, its actually quite possible that the OP would be made an offer by Bristol as they are only one grade below the requirements. Many courses at Bristol accept what are known as 'aspirational applications'.
Are Bristol making offers based on predicted grades BCC then and if so what subjects.
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are Bristol making offers based on predicted grades BCC then and if so what subjects.
Where the contextual offer is BBC and it isnt a heavily competitive course, yes.
If you check all the grade offers and then check what was in Clearing last year I'm sure you can work this out.
And many RG Unis make 'aspirational offers' - not just Bristol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Bishop Grosseteste University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 6 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (28)
21.88%
Labour (63)
49.22%
Liberal Democrats (15)
11.72%
Green Party (9)
7.03%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
3.13%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (2)
1.56%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)