Smilesolid91
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I’m new to the student room, so not too sure what to expect! I’ve checked out some other threads, but they don’t completely relate!

I’m in the final year of my UG degree and completing my dissertation. I’m really having a lot of trouble with my supervisor and I don’t know what to do!

I completely understand that there is only so much that they can help you with, but I just feel like I’m falling behind. I really don’t know what to do about the situation, and nor do my peers. To be fair, I don’t really think that they care.

My supervisor gives me very harsh feedback, and it has come to the point where I am totally doubting my abilities. I understand it’s there job to provide feedback. But it comes across as really aggressive and patronising. I’ve come out of meetings very upset and with terrible anxiety. I’m reluctant to ask questions because of what might be said.

Can anyone offer advice?
1st superstar
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Smilesolid91)
I’m new to the student room, so not too sure what to expect! I’ve checked out some other threads, but they don’t completely relate!

I’m in the final year of my UG degree and completing my dissertation. I’m really having a lot of trouble with my supervisor and I don’t know what to do!

I completely understand that there is only so much that they can help you with, but I just feel like I’m falling behind. I really don’t know what to do about the situation, and nor do my peers. To be fair, I don’t really think that they care.

My supervisor gives me very harsh feedback, and it has come to the point where I am totally doubting my abilities. I understand it’s there job to provide feedback. But it comes across as really aggressive and patronising. I’ve come out of meetings very upset and with terrible anxiety. I’m reluctant to ask questions because of what might be said.

Can anyone offer advice?
prove that teacher wrong and work hard that's what i did for my GCSEs my crappy teacher said i was going to fail (I was getting 3's/E's) ended up getting a 5/strong C also have you tried talking to your parents? or the headteacher about the situation?
antihawk
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Smilesolid91)

Can anyone offer advice?
I'm a Masters student. I had experience in undergrad with a problematic dissertation supervisor and managed to get a change. First, you're fortunate that it's (relatively) early that you're bringing this up.

Any university should have a formal or informal mechanism for requesting a change in dissertation supervisor. It will differ university to university, but something along those lines should exist.

You should begin by raising the issue with your personal tutor. Their purpose is to advise you in situations like this; they should know what to do and who to go to.

Some people just don't get on with each other. It doesn't mean that either one of them is "bad". Indeed, two perfectly respectable people can not gel for reasons that don't equate to flaws in their character. Unless you are too overzealous in your criticism, don't worry that expressing discontent at your situation could be perceived by your personal tutor as you condemning the character of your dissertation supervisor. You might wish to make it clear that it's not working, and that is all.

Be prepared to be persistent, though. You might have to push for it to be resolved. Don't expect for you to be able to see your personal tutor and have everything taken care for you. It might work out like that, but more often that not, you need to push. In that regard, anxiety over expressing your discontent will work against you. I can't offer you advice on how to overcome your anxiety other than what I've said above.

If you're persistent and are frank about the issues you're having, without melodrama or embellishment, then I don't see why you wouldn't be able to secure a change in supervisor.

I hope it goes well for you.
Smilesolid91
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you so much for your replies. It has made me a bit more aware of my options, and what I might be able to do. I think I need to overcome the anxieties and address the issue ASAP. Like you say, it is relatively early. However, I do need to act sooner rather than later. Thanks again
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (201)
18.7%
Labour (555)
51.63%
Liberal Democrats (144)
13.4%
Green Party (60)
5.58%
Brexit Party (15)
1.4%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.37%
SNP (17)
1.58%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.65%
SDLP (2)
0.19%
Ulster Unionist (4)