The Student Room Group

Should I change my driving instructor, been learning a year and no improvement ?

I have been learning to drive since October 2018, still haven’t passed or even attempted a driving test!!! I have only had 40 hours which really isn’t a lot. But , sometimes I will go 2 weeks without a lesson due to how high in demand he is. In August I went a whole month without a lesson as he never had any time slots available that I could do. I work 5 days a week 8:30-5:30 then late nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I tend to do a 5:45 one night a week after work depending on his availability. But he doesn’t work weekends either which is a lot harder.
I still don’t feel as confident driving without him telling me what to do, we never cover parking or anything (I’ve maybe only done this 4 times max). He is an independent driving instructor so with it being his own business he will be busy. But also I feel he might just be after money. I know 3 other people who went to him and all gave great reviews ! But I am so unsure if I should stay with him. I want to pass so badly I thought I would’ve been driving by now at least without aid!
I've just passed after 40 hours. I think by now you should have covered all the manoeuvres and satnav/road side driving depending on how confident you are driving. If you haven't I would suggest maybe looking elsewhere.
You should be at test standard realistically.. if your availability is an issue why not do a crash course? Is your instructor pushing you to get your test done? He really should be at this point.. I didn’t even want to book my test as didnt feel ready only did it to shut my instructor up, passed though.
how close are you to test ready? after 40hrs imo you should be confident with most things and probably just be brushing up on a couple of things and practicing test routes

if you're a confident driver you'll manage parking fine and quickly but you should have tried it by now

that said if you've not even done an hour a week on average I'm not surprised it's been slow progress... how can you gain a skill with so little time? you're working regular hours so I don't know why he can't give you a weekly regular slot? of course he'llhave holidays, sickness and occasionally need to give someone an emergency lesson before a test but that should be little time... I'd tell him you want 2-4 hours regularly scheduled until you're test ready and if he can't do it find someone who can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending