Should I change my driving instructor, been learning a year and no improvement ? Watch

champagnemami1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have been learning to drive since October 2018, still haven’t passed or even attempted a driving test!!! I have only had 40 hours which really isn’t a lot. But , sometimes I will go 2 weeks without a lesson due to how high in demand he is. In August I went a whole month without a lesson as he never had any time slots available that I could do. I work 5 days a week 8:30-5:30 then late nights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I tend to do a 5:45 one night a week after work depending on his availability. But he doesn’t work weekends either which is a lot harder.
I still don’t feel as confident driving without him telling me what to do, we never cover parking or anything (I’ve maybe only done this 4 times max). He is an independent driving instructor so with it being his own business he will be busy. But also I feel he might just be after money. I know 3 other people who went to him and all gave great reviews ! But I am so unsure if I should stay with him. I want to pass so badly I thought I would’ve been driving by now at least without aid!
miaebonyy
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I've just passed after 40 hours. I think by now you should have covered all the manoeuvres and satnav/road side driving depending on how confident you are driving. If you haven't I would suggest maybe looking elsewhere.
J0n3zviper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You should be at test standard realistically.. if your availability is an issue why not do a crash course? Is your instructor pushing you to get your test done? He really should be at this point.. I didn’t even want to book my test as didnt feel ready only did it to shut my instructor up, passed though.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
how close are you to test ready? after 40hrs imo you should be confident with most things and probably just be brushing up on a couple of things and practicing test routes

if you're a confident driver you'll manage parking fine and quickly but you should have tried it by now

that said if you've not even done an hour a week on average I'm not surprised it's been slow progress... how can you gain a skill with so little time? you're working regular hours so I don't know why he can't give you a weekly regular slot? of course he'llhave holidays, sickness and occasionally need to give someone an emergency lesson before a test but that should be little time... I'd tell him you want 2-4 hours regularly scheduled until you're test ready and if he can't do it find someone who can
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (24)
30%
No I don't (39)
48.75%
I work during the holidays (17)
21.25%

Watched Threads