Second Year University Transfer - Issues with Finance/housing Watch

MicroOiOi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Currently I am in the first term of second year but I am looking to potentially transfer to Uni of Huddersfield due to me not liking the city and the teaching at my current university. I have contacted Huddersfield regarding this and they have said I would be considered for second year transfer for next year if I apply through Ucas.

With me already being a term into my second year I know that I will have to withdraw from my current studies before Christmas to avoid any extra tuition fee costs. As student finance offer 3 years plus 1 gift year the 25% tuition fee that I will pay for this year will be covered if I am right? However, I am also paying for a student house for this academic year and the withdrawal will result in me no longer having a maintenance loan to cover the remaining instalments that I have to pay.

Not sure if there is a possible way for my maintenance loan to cover the housing cost for the rest of the year or whether to just remain at my current university.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MicroOiOi)
Currently I am in the first term of second year but I am looking to potentially transfer to Uni of Huddersfield due to me not liking the city and the teaching at my current university. I have contacted Huddersfield regarding this and they have said I would be considered for second year transfer for next year if I apply through Ucas.

With me already being a term into my second year I know that I will have to withdraw from my current studies before Christmas to avoid any extra tuition fee costs. As student finance offer 3 years plus 1 gift year the 25% tuition fee that I will pay for this year will be covered if I am right? However, I am also paying for a student house for this academic year and the withdrawal will result in me no longer having a maintenance loan to cover the remaining instalments that I have to pay.

Not sure if there is a possible way for my maintenance loan to cover the housing cost for the rest of the year or whether to just remain at my current university.
Unless you expect to earn £40k straight after your degree then the difference in debt between using the year’s funding v part of the year is nothing. You won’t repay 3 years of fees/loans so the extra year will be written off.

If you think you can complete and pass the 2nd year then do it. You’ll get your loan to cover living costs, get a DipHE from your current university and you’ll give yourself a headstart when starting a new degree in the 2nd year (it won’t be identical so the more prepared you can be the better).
MicroOiOi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by PQ)
Unless you expect to earn £40k straight after your degree then the difference in debt between using the year’s funding v part of the year is nothing. You won’t repay 3 years of fees/loans so the extra year will be written off.

If you think you can complete and pass the 2nd year then do it. You’ll get your loan to cover living costs, get a DipHE from your current university and you’ll give yourself a headstart when starting a new degree in the 2nd year (it won’t be identical so the more prepared you can be the better).
I think completing 2nd year at my current university and then transferring is a potential option. If I am planning on doing this would I still need to apply through UCAS by the January deadline do you know?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by MicroOiOi)
I think completing 2nd year at my current university and then transferring is a potential option. If I am planning on doing this would I still need to apply through UCAS by the January deadline do you know?
You maximise your options by applying before the deadline.

Applying through ucas doesn’t commit you to leaving your current course
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• De Montfort University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Undergraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19
  • Regent's University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 7 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (61)
18.77%
Labour (159)
48.92%
Liberal Democrats (46)
14.15%
Green Party (20)
6.15%
Brexit Party (4)
1.23%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.92%
SNP (7)
2.15%
Plaid Cymru (2)
0.62%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (4)
1.23%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)