Brexit Party stand down in 317 Conservative seas for General Election 2019 Watch

Poll: Does this news change your voting intention?
Yes (3)
30%
No (6)
60%
Undecided/I won't vote (1)
10%
jamesbarry17
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50377396

Nigel Farage has ditched plans to take on the Tories in more than 300 seats, after what he said was Boris Johnson's "shift of position" on Brexit.

The Brexit Party leader had planned to run candidates in 600 seats after Mr Johnson rejected his offer of a "Leave alliance" to deliver Brexit.

But he has been under pressure not to split the pro-Brexit vote.

The party will not now stand in 317 seats won by the Tories in 2017, but will continue to stand elsewhere.

Mr Farage said his party would focus its efforts on trying to take seats held by Labour, whom he accused of "betraying" its Leave-supporting voters.
Wow. How does Remain respond to this? Will this change your voting intention?
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jamesbarry17)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50377396

Wow. How does Remain respond to this? Will this change your voting intention?
Nope, wasn't voting for them anyway as I will vote Conservative to help ensure that my current MP, Richard Drax, retains his position in parliament and in turn helps to ensure that both brexit is delivered and Labour get rid of Mr Corbyn which is a win/win for me, it should hopefully allow me to go back to voting for Labour in any further elections.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Interesting, should probably have told the brexit plc customers before taking £100 application fees off them to be candidates and letting themselves spend thousands out of their own pockets in preparation for the campaign

Name:  IMG_20191112_200416.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  105.5 KB
LaPregunta
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
Nope, wasn't voting for them anyway as I will vote Conservative to help ensure that my current MP, Richard Drax, retains his position in parliament and in turn helps to ensure that both brexit is delivered and Labour get rid of Mr Corbyn which is a win/win for me, it should hopefully allow me to go back to voting for Labour in any further elections.
If you think the Conservative's deal is true to the principle of "leave" then I really ought to be worried about pollin day.

Has anyone read the proposed treaty?
Last edited by LaPregunta; 3 weeks ago
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Interesting, should probably have told the brexit plc customers before taking £100 application fees off them to be candidates and letting themselves spend thousands out of their own pockets in preparation for the campaign

Someone says that's a fake account.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago

You're not telling me you're surprised that Nigel Farage chucked them under the bus without so much as a bye your leave
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
You're not telling me you're surprised that Nigel Farage chucked them under the bus without so much as a bye your leave
You're suggesting the future Sir Nigel Farage, Duke of Gloucester, might have betrayed people for personal gain? Never
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
You're suggesting the future Sir Nigel Farage, Duke of Gloucester, might have betrayed people for personal gain? Never
Does that make me a traitor, or an enemy of the people :laugh:
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Surely if they wish to ensure Brexit they should not stand in any constituency?
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Think anyone has told the current Duke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince..._of_Gloucester
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DJKL)
Think anyone has told the current Duke?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince..._of_Gloucester
Married to Birgitte Van Deurs? Obviously a remoaner traitor.
ColinDent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
If you think the Conservative's deal is true to the principle of "leave" then I really ought to be worried about pollin day.

Has anyone read the proposed treaty?
I don't, but it's a lot closer than any other party that's likely to get in power is suggesting.
I did say that my MP is Richard Drax who is one of the ERG and well up for a harder brexit, my hope is that more like minded Tory MP's get voted in but they have no overall majority and have to rely on both the DUP and the 10-15 Brexit Party MP's that I believe will be voted in.
Not likely at this current moment but I do still believe there will be a renegotiation after the GE anyway under pressure from backbenchers who would not vote for said deal if no deal was genuinely still on the table, which again I feel it will have to be.
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As a Tory i am quite happy, it makes it much easier to defend seats.
revolver777
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not happy about this at all. Farage was put under huge pressure from backers, inevitably a lose-lose situation, and certainly a massive lose for a lot of BXP candidates. The Conservatives don't have the divine right to the Brexit vote, and Boris' terrible deal needed to be challenged from another leave perspective, to give people more choice.

The First Past the Post system has in effect squeezed leave voters into voting for one party; a message of fear of no Brexit mixed in with a message of anti-Corbyn. This isn't democracy, this is an outdated electoral system designed for two-parties who know they don't have to truly deliver on many promises because they know they'll be back in power in 10-15 years anyway.

Voting purely for Proportional Representation this election (Brexit Party or Green).
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
317 seas? Farage's following seems to match his imagination. He ****ed up UKIP and now... he's ****ing up the Brexit Party. Time the chinless twat was put down... along with Cummings. Along with the rest of the 17.4 million who fell for it.
Last edited by Vinny C; 3 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (34)
20.99%
Labour (76)
46.91%
Liberal Democrats (19)
11.73%
Green Party (13)
8.02%
Brexit Party (0)
0%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
1.23%
SNP (5)
3.09%
Plaid Cymru (0)
0%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (3)
1.85%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)