"We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.” - do we have free will? Watch

liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'm not sure if we have free will if ultimately God is in power.
For this quote's meaning, it said: "It just reaffirmed that God is in control here, and that whatever my plans may be, ultimately God's will for me will happen." So whatever we do is futile in the end then? Like I'll study really hard for a test, but it's God's will for me to not do well - what's the point then? {bad example but you get the idea}.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
In order for that statement to be true, God must exist.
liaente
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
In order for that statement to be true, God must exist.
That really doesn't answer my question.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by liaente)
That really doesn't answer my question.
There is a flaw in your question.
robertoooo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t think it matters as long as we believe we’re in control, in the end it’s what we think we know that really matters lmao
Sean2202
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I believe in God but not fate or "God's will". Thinking in that way is just a way of delegating responsibility to God or some higher order. But in any case we cannot comprehend God's will so we work hard and if we're successful we are and if we're not then we're simply not.
liaente
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
There is a flaw in your question.
It can't be a flaw if it's subjective beliefs.
Batman 2.0
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My understanding is this: we chose what to do so we have free will but at the same time God's plan reigns over all. It's a bit of a complicated thing to understand but it's like how light can be both a wave and a particle. One idea contradicts the other but yet they both exist and are true.

I'm a Christian btw.
LaPregunta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
For this quote's meaning, it said: "It just reaffirmed that God is in control here, and that whatever my plans may be, ultimately God's will for me will happen." So whatever we do is futile in the end then? Like I'll study really hard for a test, but it's God's will for me to not do well - what's the point then? {bad example but you get the idea}.
Remember, God foresaw not Adam and Eve's eatin the apple. They ate the apple not for God's will, but by temptation. Free will's only contingent is temptation. Never be so fatalistic.

(I might have erred in my use of 'contingent', please correct me)
Last edited by LaPregunta; 3 weeks ago
WaffleApple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do people actually believe this garbage? lmao
liaente
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by WaffleApple)
Do people actually believe this garbage? lmao
Your ancestors probably believed in it. "LMAO"
liaente
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by LaPregunta)
Remember, God foresaw not Adam and Eve's eatin the apple. They ate the apple not for God's will, but by temptation. Free will's only contingent is temptation. Never be so fatalistic.

(I might have erred in my use of 'contingent', please correct me)
Ah I see, but that begs the question - if God is omniscient, wouldn't He have known of this?
And thank you for actually answering my question with no judgement unlike other people who waste mine and their time by commenting stupid things.
LaPregunta
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ah I see, but that begs the question - if God is omniscient, wouldn't He have known of this?
And thank you for actually answering my question with no judgement unlike other people who waste mine and their time by commenting stupid things.
I do not believe God is omniscient for that reason. If it were the case, he would not need to send angels to communicate messages either. I think to enhance the meanin of heaven (and hell) one is left entirely free, to pursue anythin they desire.

I think that concept came about when they realised Christianity can be utilised to control.

Anti-Christian sentiment is common here.
WaffleApple
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Your ancestors probably believed in it. "LMAO"
We don't live in the stone ages anymore
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (378)
44.11%
No (90)
10.5%
I'm not old enough (389)
45.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed