The Student Room Group

Do you think this comment is racist?

This is my personal opinion, and I just shared it with a woman at work who has decided its a racist comment.

The comment is "I do not find black women attractive; they do not do it for me"

Personally I don’t think that's racist, I am not saying I dislike black people just that I do not find them attractive.

What are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
its very general to black women, also is it just black women or ethinic women in general.
Reply 2
It's not racist in the slightest - it's like me saying that I don't find the OP attractive and then being accused of prejudice against them. You can't help who you find attractive - I don't fancy black people and I can assure you I'm not a racist.
Reply 3
No. It's merely stating a preference, in the same way as it wouldn't be racist if a black women said she wasn't attracted to white guys
Reply 4
It is racist, but not in a bad way. Racism doesn't always = evil
Reply 5
Not at all. I feel the same. Also, I don't find chinese men attractive, but I don't think they as a race are inferior to me. As it happens, I think a lot of chinese girls are damn good looking. I got absolutely slammed for saying that once, though.

People get too het up about these things. They really should just get over themselves.

(BTW, I don't fancy girls - does that make me sexist?)
Reply 6
Alex L
No. It's merely stating a preference, in the same way as it wouldn't be racist if a black women said she wasn't attracted to white guys

That doesn't hold up. If an employer says "I don't want to employ black people" that's also just stating a preference but it certainly would be considered racist. What the OP said is racist but it's racism she's entitled to.
Reply 7
Nah it's not rasist, It's like calling someone prejudice for not finding ginger/fat people attractive
It's not racist. I say that about black men as I don't find them attractive either.

Your comment is in no way racist!
Whether it is technically racism or not [I believe it is], I don't see why it should be offensive. Really, it should be equivalent to saying that you don't find blonde girls attractive. Given the current atmosphere of hypersensitivity to racism and its ilk, though, I'm not surprised by your colleague's reactions.
i've always wondered if it is racist to say that you aren't attacted to certain races?
i dunno, but i don't think it is, as everyone has there own personal preferences
I don't like girls with purple hair.

I don't like girls who weigh more than farm machinery.

How are either of those statements worse?
it is slightly racist....
buttttttt............. its a personal preference so it isnt...
ill put it this way its one its proabably best not to share :wink:
X
Reply 13
They don't do it for me either. To understand the beauty of other races you really need to grow up around a lot of them.
Reply 14
x-pixie-lottie-x
it is slightly racist....
buttttttt............. its a personal preference so it isnt...
ill put it this way its one its proabably best not to share :wink:
X

Why? Whatever happened to freedom of opinion!
Rascist? Yes, it is indeed "discrimination based on race".
In anyway deplorable? Of course not, it's your potential personal relationships, you can discriminate however you please. If you just find girls attractive, that's sexist, but it's not wrong. It's just semantics, the woman at work is technically right, but it doesn't mean anything.

Still, guess the blackscene.com ad at the bottom of this page is wasted on you. Targeted advertising at it's least productive.
Reply 16
Varsity
This is my personal opinion, and I just shared it with a woman at work who has decided its a racist comment.

The comment is "I do not find black women attractive; they do not do it for me"

Personally I don’t think that's racist, I am not saying I dislike black people just that I do not find them attractive.

What are your opinions?

Hmm... saddo that I am... looked up 'racist' in the dictionary;

1.hatred or intolerance of another race or other races

2.a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

In other words, if you didn't say it with malice or intention that you are superior to the race you are talking about then it's not racist.

However it can be seen to be prejudicical; i.e you can't say NO black women attract you until you have met (or at least seen) every single black women in the world.

Reword it to say that in your experience you haven't found any black woman you've met attractive.

Simple wording of phrases.
KwungSun
That doesn't hold up. If an employer says "I don't want to employ black people" that's also just stating a preference but it certainly would be considered racist. What the OP said is racist but it's racism she's entitled to.

Fair enough, so by definition it is racist. However I don't see the problem with making a statement like that, as there is no implied problem with people of said skin tone, merely that the OP doesn't find black people attractive
Reply 18
No, it isn't. You were merely stating a preference.
Charlski
Why? Whatever happened to freedom of opinion!

ill do anything to avoid an arguement me :wink:

If u know something is going to upset someone surely its best not to say it?
x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending