bulbasaur55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Help, my teacher wants an aim in for my ADH biology project by this week, and I still haven’t even picked a project. Can anyone recommend some simpler and easier projects that can score well? I originally wanted to do the effect of ethylene on fruit ripening, but my teacher said the SQA can deduct marks on that because it’s not proper biology, is that true?
AfricanDream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
Help, my teacher wants an aim in for my ADH biology project by this week, and I still haven’t even picked a project. Can anyone recommend some simpler and easier projects that can score well? I originally wanted to do the effect of ethylene on fruit ripening, but my teacher said the SQA can deduct marks on that because it’s not proper biology, is that true?
Did your teacher not give your class any ideas, when I did mine in 2017/18 we saw some past projects, were given a list of enzymes that we could look into for project ideas. We had time to research in class and then speak to our teacher to see if it was possible to do or to even get the equipment or ingredients to make the specific solutions. Could you speak to your teacher and ask for enzymes to look into for potential projects that while they might seem simple can be done really well? I am not sure about the effect of ethylene on fruit ripening.

For my assignment I found something that had originally been considered a higher level experiment, but if you are able to elevate it as I did e.g. I made the solutions- did the scientific calculations, results- graphed and tabulated with 95% confidence interval and showed a lot of working with mine and write it up well e.g. I changed from a pH4 buffer in the pilot study to a pH 5 buffer in actual as while I knew the ideal pH was 5, we were only able to get ph4 tablets so I had to do research in order to figure out how to make a pH 5 buffer solution- ended up being a lot more work preparing 2 different solutions and measuring and mixing very precise quantities-242.5cm3 0.1M citric acid solution and 257.5cm3 0.2M Na2HPO4 solution. I also had many other improvements and corrections that I documented and wrote about in my write up- always good to have improvements. I also did a lot for evaluation in discussion and other areas where marks were often difficult to achieve. As far as I remember, I had to have it planned and figure out how I could elevate it before being given the go ahead. I remember doing tons of research ahead of time.

I was able to achieve 24/30(80%) which I was told was really high for ADH bio( using what was formerly considered a higher experiment) as they are very strict with the marking and the average was 15/30 at the time.( No one else at my school had done the same assignment as me before- I found it during my research). My experiment did take a lot of time, from making solutions in large quantities,etc and there were many setbacks-honestly didn't feel like a higher experiment- with often limited information available, it was a lot of work and time in the labs. e.g. I had to figure out timing and if the solutions could be stored overnight( the buffer-which seemed to take ages to make could be stored overnight).

I would definitely speak to your teacher, probably the best person to ask as they would be up to date with SQA standards and expectations. Some people in my class changed experiment or started off with 2 possibilities in case one was not possible with the given time and resources.
Last edited by AfricanDream; 3 weeks ago
bulbasaur55
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by AfricanDream)
Did your teacher not give your class any ideas, when I did mine in 2017/18 we saw some past projects, were given a list of enzymes that we could look into for project ideas. We had time to research in class and then speak to our teacher to see if it was possible to do or to even get the equipment or ingredients to make the specific solutions. Could you speak to your teacher and ask for enzymes to look into for potential projects that while they might seem simple can be done really well? I am not sure about the effect of ethylene on fruit ripening.

For my assignment I found something that had originally been considered a higher level experiment, but if you are able to elevate it as I did e.g. I made the solutions- did the scientific calculations, results- graphed and tabulated with 95% confidence interval and showed a lot of working with mine and write it up well e.g. I changed from a pH4 buffer in the pilot study to a pH 5 buffer in actual as while I knew the ideal pH was 5, we were only able to get ph4 tablets so I had to do research in order to figure out how to make a pH 5 buffer solution- ended up being a lot more work preparing 2 different solutions and measuring and mixing very precise quantities-242.5cm3 0.1M citric acid solution and 257.5cm3 0.2M Na2HPO4 solution. I also had many other improvements and corrections that I documented and wrote about in my write up- always good to have improvements. I also did a lot for evaluation in discussion and other areas where marks were often difficult to achieve. As far as I remember, I had to have it planned and figure out how I could elevate it before being given the go ahead. I remember doing tons of research ahead of time.

I was able to achieve 24/30(80%) which I was told was really high for ADH bio( using what was formerly considered a higher experiment) as they are very strict with the marking and the average was 15/30 at the time.( No one else at my school had done the same assignment as me before- I found it during my research). My experiment did take a lot of time, from making solutions in large quantities,etc and there were many setbacks-honestly didn't feel like a higher experiment- with often limited information available, it was a lot of work and time in the labs. e.g. I had to figure out timing and if the solutions could be stored overnight( the buffer-which seemed to take ages to make could be stored overnight).

I would definitely speak to your teacher, probably the best person to ask as they would be up to date with SQA standards and expectations. Some people in my class changed experiment or started off with 2 possibilities in case one was not possible with the given time and resources.
thank you for your reply! My teacher did give a list, but we aren’t allowed to choose a lot of them because they required investigating effects of things on people. i don’t think i can do an enzyme investigation - someone in my class is already doing it. What do you think about the effect of temperature on the semi permeable membrane of red cabbage? simple?
AfricanDream
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bulbasaur55)
thank you for your reply! My teacher did give a list, but we aren’t allowed to choose a lot of them because they required investigating effects of things on people. i don’t think i can do an enzyme investigation - someone in my class is already doing it. What do you think about the effect of temperature on the semi permeable membrane of red cabbage? simple?
No problem, several people from my class did enzyme based experiments( different enzymes, looking at different factors and their effects which made them all different). That is so weird that your list gives many projects that investigate effects on things on people. I meant we were given a list of enzymes, their names, that could potentially form the backbone of an experiment and if we wanted we could research to see if any had good possible project ideas, e.g i looked at the enzyme phosphatase.

I am not sure about your idea( it has been a while since I have done advanced bio). Do you know what equipment and apparatus, procedures, etc it will entail? I would definitely run it by your teacher to check if it appropriate and possible, can they get what you need? One of my "ingredients" for current lack of a better word was quite expensive( got a 5 gram bottle) and had to be ordered in and remain in a freezer before and after use, so I was lucky that they said yes.

Speak to your teacher as soon as possible to find out in case you need to find something else.
Sorry that I can't help more with regards to your current idea, but your teacher really is the best person to check with. Fingers crossed that it work out!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (172)
19.11%
Labour (459)
51%
Liberal Democrats (120)
13.33%
Green Party (53)
5.89%
Brexit Party (13)
1.44%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.44%
SNP (15)
1.67%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.44%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.67%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)