Linzino
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m really struggling to find good unis for biomed. My predicted is ABB. Does anyone know any good unis for biomed that don’t require chemistry as I do biology, psychology and french and also have entry requirements that are ABB or lower?
chapmase
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Linzino)
I’m really struggling to find good unis for biomed. My predicted is ABB. Does anyone know any good unis for biomed that don’t require chemistry as I do biology, psychology and french and also have entry requirements that are ABB or lower?
The ones I could find that will accept you with those grades are:

- Strathclyde (requires two sciences so you'd need to check if they count psychology)
- Exeter (Medical Science)
- Kent
- Nottingham Trent
- Aston
- Surrey (also requires two sciences so contact the university to see if they accept psychology)

Since you don't have the required A-level subjects for a lot of places you might be better off doing a degree with a foundation year to get you up to speed. These are specifically designed for students that haven't taken two sciences at A-level. Some good universities that offer this are:
- Dundee
- Sheffield
- Manchester
- Southampton
- Leeds
- Liverpool
Linzino
Rep:
?
(Original post by chapmase)
The ones I could find that will accept you with those grades are:

- Strathclyde (requires two sciences so you'd need to check if they count psychology)
- Exeter (Medical Science)
- Kent
- Nottingham Trent
- Aston
- Surrey (also requires two sciences so contact the university to see if they accept psychology)

Since you don't have the required A-level subjects for a lot of places you might be better off doing a degree with a foundation year to get you up to speed. These are specifically designed for students that haven't taken two sciences at A-level. Some good universities that offer this are:
- Dundee
- Sheffield
- Manchester
- Southampton
- Leeds
- Liverpool
Thank you for replying!

Do you know if any of those unis are good in terms of student life as well as their teaching?
StudentRep Annabel
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey there!
I know chapmase has already mentioned it, but have you considered the University of Kent at all? It is quite highly regarded for Biomedical Science and is well within your reach in terms of your predicted grades! Here is the link to the course information page in case you'd like to check it out
If you'd like to find out more about studying biomed at Kent first hand, then you can use our Unibuddy programme to speak to a current biomed student at Kent and ask them any questions about the course that you might have. Here is the link.
In the meantime, if you have any questions about life at the University of Kent more generally, please feel free to ask!
Best of luck with your A-levels and university search
Linzino
Rep:
?
(Original post by StudentRep Annabel)
Hey there!
I know chapmase has already mentioned it, but have you considered the University of Kent at all? It is quite highly regarded for Biomedical Science and is well within your reach in terms of your predicted grades! Here is the link to the course information page in case you'd like to check it out
If you'd like to find out more about studying biomed at Kent first hand, then you can use our Unibuddy programme to speak to a current biomed student at Kent and ask them any questions about the course that you might have. Here is the link.
In the meantime, if you have any questions about life at the University of Kent more generally, please feel free to ask!
Best of luck with your A-levels and university search
Thank you for your reply! I’d love to know more about Kent. Did you go yourself? If so, how is student life there? And also, what do you know about their labs and biosciences department?
StudentRep Annabel
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you for your reply! I’d love to know more about Kent. Did you go yourself? If so, how is student life there? And also, what do you know about their labs and biosciences department?
You're very welcome
Yes! I'm currently in my final year at Kent studying History and Data Analytics

Personally, I have really enjoyed the student life at Kent! I've found that, being a campus university, there is a really good student vibe and community here which I really love. There are literally loads of societies and sports clubs so there is really something for everyone. Also, Canterbury city centre is just a 20 minute walk from campus and it also has 2 other universities in it so it gives the town and nightlife a really good student vibe to it. Canterbury isn't the biggest city, but for me it has the ideal mix of countryside and city-life which can make it feel really homely.

Unfortunately, I don't know much personally about the Biosciences department and their facilities. But the University of Kent have this online programme called Unibuddy where prospective students like yourself can chat to current students at Kent studying the same subject, so you could use it to find someone who does biosciences at Kent and ask them any questions you have about the course and the department's facilities Here is the link in case you'd like to check it out.

I hope that this helps give you a bit more of a flavour for Kent, but if you have any other questions at all then please feel free to ask, I'm happy to help where I can!
abimayx
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Warwick AAB or ABB
Lincoln BBB
Nottingham Trent BBB
Coventry BBB
Sheffield Hallam BBC
Manchester Met BBC

(The entry requirements are from memory)
lucycharlotte12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there, I had this exact struggle as I do biology, psychology and Graphics and I don’t really like chemistry! My predictions are AAB. I have offers from Southampton, Nottingham Trent, Kent and Northampton and I’m waiting for Warwick. My firm choice will be NTU as the course looks very good and love the city, but also Kent was a really course - very unique and I think i got an offer of BBC.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The best advice will depend somewhat on what you want to do with the degree when you graduate.

If you want to work in an NHS lab as a BMS, then the best option would be a Healthcare Sciences (Life Sciences) degree, which includes integrated placements to complete the portfolio required for HCPC registration, and is IBMS accredited - both criteria you need to satisfy to work as BMS in the NHS. Otherwise you can look at other IBMS accredited BMS degrees, and try and find a placement to undertake during a "sandwich" year; however these can be quite competitive to get into if they aren't already an integrated part of the course. These courses usually do not correlate to what is viewed as "good" by school leavers (on the basis of league tables), but it's important to remember if your goal is to work in the NHS, they literally do not care where you got your degree as long as you fulfill the requirements to work in the profession. RegisteredBMS might be able to advise more on this route.

For going into academia/research (i.e. planning to do a PhD at the minimum) then you probably want to angle towards universities with a strong biomedical research platform. These are probably the ones that most align to what typical school leavers perceive as "good" universities, as usually they are the ones that rank highly in league tables and, by virtue of their research work, are part of the research consortium known as the Russell Group (which in of itself means nothing as far as undergrad education goes, but you may have more opportunities to engage in e.g. summer research projects etc, at a RG uni - and maybe even get a publication under your belt). I would note however you can in theory at least go on to a PhD from a Healthcare Sciences (Life Sciences) degree and certainly from any general IBMS accredited BMS course; you may not have as much time or as many opportunities for research work before applying for a PhD (or doing a masters) is all.

However if this is just a starting point to go into GEM then literally any course will be suitable. It might be worth then looking at those with internal transfer or guaranteed interview schemes, at medical schools where you may want to apply to as a graduate (e.g. SGUL has both options). Obviously if medicine is your goal it's easier to try and get into standard entry courses as a school leaver, so it might be best in that case to try and focus on doing as well in your A-levels now, get AAA or better, and then take a gap year and sit A-level Chemistry - you may however have a narrower range of medical schools to choose between depending how they view you taking A-level Chemistry in a gap year. ecolier may be able to comment on that and more generally on medicine admissions matters.

If you wanted to keep your options as open as possible I'd suggest doing at least an IBMS accredited course, if not a HCS course, as those options will allow you to pursue (sooner or later) a career in the NHS as a BMS, a career in research, or going on to GEM.
StudentRep Annabel
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucycharlotte12)
Hi there, I had this exact struggle as I do biology, psychology and Graphics and I don’t really like chemistry! My predictions are AAB. I have offers from Southampton, Nottingham Trent, Kent and Northampton and I’m waiting for Warwick. My firm choice will be NTU as the course looks very good and love the city, but also Kent was a really course - very unique and I think i got an offer of BBC.
Hey!
Congratulations on your offer to study at Kent I'm an official rep for the University of Kent so if you have any questions about the University of Kent at all, please feel free to ask, I'm happy to help where I can
aw03
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you want to work for the NHS, you have to go to an IBMS accredited university. here's the list: https://careers.ibms.org/students/ac...te-uk-courses/
these unis aren't very high up on the league tables and entry requirements are quite low (BBC+) but unis on there like UWE, NTU and Plymouth have really great courses.
if not, you can really apply to any uni that offers biomedical science. i've noticed that the bigger unis (Bristol, Newcastle, UCL etc) are more research based whereas the IBMS accredited are more disease / hospital laboratory based so pick for your preference.
i applied on Thursday to UWE, Plymouth, NTU, Lancaster and Sussex and all are accredited except Sussex. UWE and Plymouth are my top choices.
hope this helped good luck!!
leahfischer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I also applied for biomed and like the others were saying, Kent and Nottingham Trent are really great !
Candiceswyip
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What's your comment on Surrey ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (66)
24.91%
My career doesn't need one (35)
13.21%